• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shoe style for wide feet

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
My feet are wide at the ball and slightly narrow at the heel (size 10 or 10.5, 2E as per Brannock scale). What would be a good shoe style for this type of feet?

I'm open to one of the following: Oxford or Derby shoes or boots in plain toe, cap toe or wing tip styles as well as whole-cut Oxford shoes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no one "style" which meets such a generic feature. There is no such thing as a standard foot either, even your two will differ; the description you give is actually meaningless in shoe manufacture. Each last is different so you will really need to go to some bricks and mortar shops to try them whatever anyone might suggest.

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
Let me rephrase, do certain styles or features (like narrow wing tips) emphasize wide feet?

Just looking for a few tips to keep in mind when selecting new shoes.

Canberraman

Reaction score
I have feet similar to those of the OP. While no one style can be said to suit I find it much more likely that a derby will fit my feet, but as has been noted all lasts are different. I do very well with dumpy, inelegant "country' shoes.
My best fit is the Cheaney "Cairngorm II" (4436 last) in UK 10G, however my Cheaney for Herring Shoes "Canning" in 10G (2003 last) is too narrow and awaiting a shoe stretcher.
I do ok with a UK 10.5F (4444 last) in Trickers various country shoes and the same with shoes from Barker.
In AE I have shoes in US 11D,E and EEE and the E shoes fit best but I can wear the others without too many problems. They seem more forgiving than the tank-like shoes out of the UK.
Give up now upon the idea of wearing any elegant, pointy shoe, or anything from Italy. A decent pic of the shoe from above should tell you if it is worth trying on.
Expect disappointment if you buy without trying on a shoe. I'm lucky in that I have a friend with feet 1/2 size smaller than mine and he has bought five or six pairs of my mistakes.
Good luck.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
As others have said, it depends on the last. I have a wide right foot and a normal left foot, so it's hell either way. Allen Edmonds used to have a last that fit pretty well, but they discontinued it. Just go to a shop with very patient salespeople and spend some time trying on a lot of shoes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase, do certain styles or features (like narrow wing tips) emphasize wide feet?

Just looking for a few tips to keep in mind when selecting new shoes.

Buy shoes that actually fit rather become fixated on a style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads