Best place in London for a <£700 tailored suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Drogue, Mar 24, 2009.

1. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

I got an email from suit supply saying something about oversupply of italian fabric yadda yadda and they were now offering m2m from 299gbp, originally 499. i am pretty interested in that price. oddly, it says price does not include alterations. i dont know how that would be the case with m2m but i guess they have to do their best to squeeze some margin.
    That offer is not for the MTM programme. Suitsupply has been buying up bankrupt cloth suppliers' inventories and has done a couple of these offers where you can order a suit in the cloth very cheaply - but it's a suit in their standard RTW sizes, not MTM unfortunately.

Nice.
    Thank you.

That suitsupply website is super slick. Wow. Makes me want to book a trip over to Europe to check out their MTM program...They always look great on obscurity
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

who wants to wait 8 weeks for RTW sizing?

3. Drogue

Drogue Active Member

Suit supply looks like a very interesting business model, I may try that at some point.

I went with George in Harringay, as after meeting him and discussing what I wanted I wanted I felt his style was very much in keeping with what I wanted, and that having it all being done in house, by hand, with a baste fitting and fully floating canvas justified the extra £100 or so. So far I've been very happy. He helped a lot to narrow down what it was I wanted, and I've ended up going for a 2 button, waisted-but-classic cut, in a lovely 12oz Smith & Co merino wool that's charcoal with subtle pinstripes. I went in intending to go for worsted, but his recommendation was that since I wanted something that wouldn't be too hot but that still had substance, a 12oz merino would have the weight and drape of a 12oz while being cooler than a similar weight worsted, and should last as long. It ended up being £650, plus an extra £120 for a second pair of trousers.

I had the baste fitting today and I'm already amazed at how well it fits and how differently that feels and looks. A couple of adjustments in fit, but it was very close and clearly far better than what I walked in wearing. I'm surprised it's only taken a week to get to this stage, and he reckoned it'd be ready for the next fitting by next weekend.

Many thanks for all the advice, I'll post pics when it's finished.

4. fox81

fox81 Senior member

keen to see the pics.

i went and got measured up at graham browne in the city last week. 10oz charcoal from holland and sherry's target range. 3 roll 2.5

5. Rossini

Rossini Senior member

Mr Pipps over at AAAC has posted some good stuff about Jasper Litmann. Looked like a very decent option to me.

6. Drogue

Drogue Active Member

I have just had the final fitting and picked up my suit, and I'm absolutely thrilled. It fits beautifully and has exactly the silhouette I was looking for. There are a couple of minor options I'd change if I were doing it again, but I'm very happy with the result.

I'm shocked at how he can do it for the money. The fabric is beautiful, it's fully canvased and all handmade, yet under £700 a suit. Though I suppose with a small, out-of-centre workshop the overheads aren't great and I doubt he makes that much money.

A great first foray into bespoke clothes and I have little doubt I'll be ordering a second soon.

keen to see the pics.

i went and got measured up at graham browne in the city last week. 10oz charcoal from holland and sherry's target range. 3 roll 2.5

I'll post pics when I get home tonight. Would be very interested in seeing how the Graham Browne one turns out too.

7. ginghaman

ginghaman Senior member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

8. fox81

fox81 Senior member

http://www.jonathanquearney.com/

as suggested by Thomas Mahon

again, thats only M2M. Jonathan charges around 1800gbp for proper bespoke i believe.

9. fox81

fox81 Senior member

lets see the photos

10. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Senior member

Could just go to India, heh. I was just in Delhi a few weeks back and got a beautiful Super 150s 3-piece for ~£300

11. Richard FN

Richard FN New Member

I am permanently perplexed how even with all the forums, media and shops we visit, so many men do not understand the difference between MTM and Bespoke.....and cannot buy a suit without their girlfriend, wife or mother. Why do men think that women understand more than trained and experienced tailor?

My MTM Suit Supply suits are stunning. My requirements for a refined and high quality suit, with attention to detail are second to none. My employers implore me to seek out a company that can provide me with suits like these. Until Suit Supply arrived there was nobody. Forget Roderick Charles, Aquascutum,Gieves, Mark Marengo etc.

What do you expect from £400? We are not in Hong Kong or Thailand. So many Savile Row stores offer the same MTM (not bespoke) cloth at 30% higher in price, and you don't even get a full canvas construction.

Don't let the others rip you off. Don't be sucked in by labels, and marketing.

Be strong..make you're own decision and always better to let your experienced tailor guide you. You wouldn't let your girlfriend/wife/mother make your decisions at work would you?

If the answer to this question is yes, then Reiss, Ted Baker and Massimo Dutti are not far away. You can let her choose your satuday night outfit, and your Monday-Friday outfit. I am sure she wouldn't object to you helping out with her wedding dress.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I had a suit made by George Threadneedleman over SE London cost me £1100, He subs work out hence my suit was a fcuk up,

George of Haringey is a very good Tailor he has made Five suits for me, and rebuilt the suit that was fcuked up by George Threadneedleman.

But to be honest most tailors these days are no way as good as the tailors of the 60s.

13. pgmetcalf

pgmetcalf Well-Known Member

Is £700 doable for London? Where I live in Sheffield the averages are from £450 to £700 but I don't think you would be able to get that in London.

14. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i believe the aforementioned george of haringey starts at around that price.

15. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

Has anyone got any pictures of George of Haringey's suits? I've never heard of him before, but he seems to get good reviews and he's close to where I work. He could be just what I'm looking for for a MTM suit.