• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Indoor Grill?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your recommendations for a good reliable indoor grill? I need something that's not going to break the bank ($200 at the absolute maximum, preferably much cheaper). I've heard mixed reviews about the Foreman grills. What do you guys use? Thanks.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Weber Baby Q. It's supposed to be for outdoor use, but small enough to keep indoor. You can rig it a little to use the regular small gas canisters sold at walmart, target, etc.,.It lights up quick and is pretty easy to clean (just empty the grease bucket every so often). Got it on sale a while back for about $100. http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Baby-Por...UTF8&s=outdoor

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have always hated electric indoor grills as I have found most of them to be glorified waffle makers and I am use to my outdoor charcoal grill, which is sedond to none. That being said, it's not easy to grill outdoor when you have 2 feet of snow so I buckled and bought the grill below. The first thing that attracted me to it was the looks. Since it was at Williams Sonoma, I expected it to be $400. It's $179. They also sell it at Bed Bath and Beyond and since BBB gives out 20% coupons almost everyday, you can get it for $150. It goes to 450 degrees, which is higher than most. It can be used fully opened as a grill and griddle. It cooks very well, I've made thick steaks, kaboobs, pancakes and grilled sandwiches. I wouldn't expect restaurant quality grilling, but it does more than an adequate job with thick meats. It cleans up very easily. It is very well made (feels similar to my Dualit toaster) and looks wonderful in the kitchen. It's hard to beat for $150.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...&cm%5Fsrc=None

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I have a Weber Baby Q. It's supposed to be for outdoor use, but small enough to keep indoor. You can rig it a little to use the regular small gas canisters sold at walmart, target, etc.,.It lights up quick and is pretty easy to clean (just empty the grease bucket every so often). Got it on sale a while back for about $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Baby-Por...UTF8&s=outdoor

Looks good, but I think I'm looking for something a little smaller. Something that can be kept on the counter top without taking up too much space because I do some form of grilling on almost a daily basis.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ed,

that actually looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

mbc

Reaction score
I strongly prefer a cast iron skillet with ridges to any of the small-appliance options currently available. Cheap and indestructible.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the Foreman grill, tried it twice and both times the results were awful. I ended up broiling the steaks in the oven instead and the grill is out of service indefinitely. Anyway, now I have a covered deck so I can grill outdoors except in very extreme weather.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
I strongly prefer a cast iron skillet with ridges to any of the small-appliance options currently available. Cheap and indestructible.

I agree. I have a Lodge cast-iron grill pan from Williams-Sonoma (I think it cost $22) and it works beautifully on the stovetop. I only wish my kitchen were better ventilated, but that would probably be an issue with any indoor grill. Sometimes, to minimize the stinking up of my apartment, especially when cooking fish, I heat the grill pan on the stovetop on high heat, quickly sear each side of the meat, and then stick the pan into the preheated oven to cook through.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cast iron is great and cheap but the smoke and the smell are a huge issue if you live in an apartment. They are also very unwieldly to use around the kitchen, which is why I went with the Breville. You give up some heat but it's more practical, easier to use and looks better. My cast iron grill pan has not been used in a long time. Now my cast iron deep frying pan is another story
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've never seen the benefit of indoor grills. They're essentially skillets. I'm with mbc on the cast-iron.

Have you considered a stovetop smoker? Those things are wonders, and really make food taste like it's been grilled over a fire.

My diet requires eating a lot of foods that are grilled, with as little fat as possible. The best and easiest way to do this on a daily basis is to have a really easy way to grill food. If I have the indoor grill sitting on my countertop, it makes my life a lot easier. I don't necessarily care that the food doesn't taste that great. As long as it's decent, I'm fine.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
My diet requires eating a lot of foods that are grilled, with as little fat as possible. The best and easiest way to do this on a daily basis is to have a really easy way to grill food. If I have the indoor grill sitting on my countertop, it makes my life a lot easier. I don't necessarily care that the food doesn't taste that great. As long as it's decent, I'm fine.

All the nitrates from the smoking probably wouldn't do you much good either. But mmm, do they taste good.

Oh well, so much for the smoker idea. Hope ed's suggestion works out for you, if that's what you go with.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have something similar to this.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...&cm%5Fsrc=None

I'm not at home right now and I can't remember if it is DeLonghi I have, I think it is. I really like it. Great for burgers, chicken, sausages... that's all I've cooked on it. But I've never had any problems with it and the food has always turned out great. Clean up is easy. I line the drip pan with foil so I can crumple it up and throw it out. I recommend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads