• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Iconic Sunglasses?

jimrude

Reaction score
Best sunglasses I've ever owned: Randolph Engineering Aviators, with progressive lenses from SportRx. And I'm an old fart who grew up in CA wearing Ray Bans, etc.

konstantis

Reaction score
Could anyone comment Ateliers Baudin in comparison to Maison Bonnet ? Aterlier’s Baudin “oreilles retournée”, which literally means: flipped ears seems really interesting. Thanks.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need another pair of sunglasses like the proverbial hole in the head, but I've been seeing ads for the Ray Ban smart glasses that can take pics and video, play music and answer calls. Anyone taken the plunge yet?

8056597489973__STD__shad__qt.png

LucasFilms

Reaction score
To me iconic is what fits best to each person.. so it's something very individual. The Wayfarers never looked good on me.. too many angles.

For me iconic sunglasses mean Persol 3020s, which is no longer produced. I hope Luxottica brings the Persol 3020s back into production.

They have gone back to producing the Ray Ban CATS 5000, which looks and fits pretty well too.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Persols:

sajesak

Reaction score
I’m intrigued by LS but have yet to see a pair I can try on in person. Their website has free returns I think (bloody well should do at their prices!!). While JMM is more famous for their chunky acetate styles over wire rims, I’d say LS is more about precious metals - gold and titanium.

I have Vuarnet Edge and Vuarnet Ice - two very different styles from the famous maker of ski glasses. James Bond will wear Edges in the upcoming film.

I have Dita Spacecraft which haven’t been worn much yet but has to be one of the coolest in my entire stable.

For a bit lower budget check out Oliver Peoples and Garret Leight. I think both brands have been eaten up by Luxottica and the two originators (father and son) have started a new brand named Mr. Leight.

And I have a soft spot for Moscot. They might be considered a mid tier brand, more expensive and better made than Ray Ban and Warby Parker but cheaper than JMM read reviews. They have a ton of different styles all designed in house so a bit different from the ubiquitous Luxottica / Sunglass Hut stable of styles and the ones I have seem robust (wire core acetate, seven barrel hinges etc). They usually have several variations of colours in each style and sometimes have MTO events.
As best I can tell, there hasn't been much talk about sunglasses other than in a generic sense or a brand mention here or there. But if you're putting something over your eyes, let's spend a little more time thinking about how they'll affect our play. So what's your take? Sunglasses or no? Polarized or not? Pink/rose lenses? Brown? Grey? Bottom edge on your frame or open?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As best I can tell, there hasn't been much talk about sunglasses other than in a generic sense or a brand mention here or there. But if you're putting something over your eyes, let's spend a little more time thinking about how they'll affect our play. So what's your take? Sunglasses or no? Polarized or not? Pink/rose lenses? Brown? Grey? Bottom edge on your frame or open?

You will find a lot in the Jacques Marie Mage thread. They are the maximum aesthetic achievement, in my opinion, as regards sunglasses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads