• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Hair Styling Products for Men?

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
Using products will high hold to force your hair to lay back will ALWAYS make it look glued back, because that's what you're doing. Blow dry it back to get it to want to lay back, and don't stop right when it's dry, keep going for a minute and focus the heat at the root while you pull it back with a brush (go buy a Denman 9 row brush, they're $15, made in England, and have been a standard in every hairdresser's kit since the 1960's), and keep pulling it back as it cools (this "sets" the hair and makes it want to stay where it is when it cools. This is why the hairdryer has a cold button) then even if it's 70% of the way to laying back, your product only has to do 30% of the work you were asking it to do before. This means any one of those crew products you mentioned in the original post will work. Use something light (American Crew Fiber, Redken Rough Paste, ADH Dry, etc) and your hair will still move and fall naturally, or use something heavy (Layrite original pomade , Imperial classic pomade, etc) if you want it to look slick. Use a light product and follow it with a hairspray (Redken makes good ones that are simple to understand-- the higher the number on the can, the stiffer it holds) if you want to keep a lighter look with less movement throughout the day.

q1445

Reaction score
New member 1st post. For what it's worth Badger Pomade is top notch for good hold and a clean natural look. I am happy I found it and wish I would have found it sooner. I tried Crew, Aveda, and many others, but always had issues. Of course it has its own application process, a little grainy out of the can, smooths out nicely in your palm, then applies easily and evenly. Nice smell, different, but I like it. Great stuff! Enjoy!

http://www.badgerbalm.com/mobileproductimages.aspx?productid=527

Reaction score
Try John Masters Organics their hair product line are really good in term of efficiency, and on top are all natural so you don't have to "sacrifice" your hair or your scalp . Also most of product smell good due to natural ingredients.
https://johnmasters.com/collections/hair-care

I was using before American crew before switching to John Masters Organics line, all I can say that I wish I had found earlier.

Last edited:

Stinson

Reaction score
Sebastian Potion 9 is a good conditioner. The rest of the Sebastian line good interesting as well.

Phoebus

Reaction score
I have been unhappy with my hair styling products for a while. I have been using a pomade on damp hair, however I also feel like it pulls on my hair and is unhealthy. The final result however looks thin and whispy. If I have the time I will add a texturing spray and dry it before adding the pomade and that seems to help however takes more time. I unfortunately have fine hair with a very slight wave. I have been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner every other day or so. I try to capture a kind of "side quiff." I want some shine. I go back and forth on how natural vs "done" I want my hair to look. I recently read that perhaps I should be using a paste instead. Are there any recommendations for the type of product I should use that would work but is also healthy for my hair? And brand recommendations too. I don't mind spending a bit more if it is worth it however that is difficult to tell.

robj83

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you won't damage your hair by wetting it. But I find that leaving it dry or dampening it just a bit and applying hair product mixed with water makes for the best results.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50275287242_e6128cfc4b_c.jpg

MarkSabier14

Reaction score
Hi. I really like these 3 brands:
  • Fiber Mold Cream
  • Silk Groom Serum
  • Texturizing Clay
They are my favourites, I can't live without this products:bigstar:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started going back to Truefitt & Hill after the lockdown ended, and my new barber put this in my hair after the cut. It works really well for me, and after my third cut with him last week, I bought a bottle for daily use. T&H seems to have really gone all in on old school hair tonics and oils, so it might be worth exploring.

By the way, this has a very light hold and sets completely dry (they do have another version with "oil"). The scent is a nice Lilly of the Valley that dissipates after an hour or so. I've been a fan of T&H's shaving creams and balms for a long time, and this definitely lives up to the quality level.

truefitt-and-hill-CAR-Cream-1_400x.jpg

Last edited:

sajesak

Reaction score
I have been unhappy with my hair styling products for a while. I have been using a pomade on damp hair, however I also feel like it pulls on my hair and is unhealthy. The final result however looks thin and whispy. If I have the time I will add a texturing spray and dry it before adding the pomade and that seems to help however takes more time. I unfortunately have fine hair with a very slight wave. I have been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner every other day or so. I try to capture a kind of "side quiff." I want some shine. I go back and forth on how natural vs "done" I want my hair to look. I recently read that perhaps I should be using a paste instead. Are there any recommendations for the type of product I should use that would work but is also healthy for my hair? And brand recommendations too merchant card services. I don't mind spending a bit more if it is worth it however that is difficult to tell.
Hi, I am after a soft wax, that is water soluble (ie easy to wash out), has decent hold with a matte finish. Even better if it gives some extra volume. Short to medium length hair Suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads