• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Gaming Desktop for Less than $1K?

vaalbara

Reaction score

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
i don't think either are really a necessity. i'd also prefer a GIGABYTE mobo over a MSI mobo as i've had friends who've had bad experiences with MSI mobos, but YMMV.
Since when was a heat sink for your CPU not a necessity?? Unless you mean in the in-box heat sink, which, for a gaming machine, isn't going to be sufficient

Cognacad

Reaction score
yes it will be sufficient, unless he plans on overclocking it. As a guy who doesn't want to build his own computer I don't see him being 1. worried about overclocking 2. installing a heatsink.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From all the reading I have been doing lately, I would have to agree with the above. OEM heat sink/fan is sufficiently enough to run games. Unless overclocking is planned, aftermarket heat sink/thermal paste is not necessary.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honestly, if you can wait a bit, I'd say hold off until July 4th and hit up one of the major manu's sales (Dell, HP, etc..). It may not be top of the line but it'll have everything you want and more for well under your price.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Honestly, if you can wait a bit, I'd say hold off until July 4th and hit up one of the major manu's sales (Dell, HP, etc..). It may not be top of the line but it'll have everything you want and more for well under your price.

Well the good thing about that is it will probably drive the gaming rig maufacturers to do the same, as was the case with Father's Day

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that if I go the Newegg route, they're going to send me all the parts to be assembled. So is there an easy to follow guide anyone recommends for assembly and OS loading, etc? I don't want to brick the damn thing right outta the box.

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I'm assuming that if I go the Newegg route, they're going to send me all the parts to be assembled. So is there an easy to follow guide anyone recommends for assembly and OS loading, etc? I don't want to brick the damn thing right outta the box.

Each section of newegg includes a "how-to" to install for individual parts. There's lots of good guides all around, too:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

A few things you should check:

(1) Make sure the RAM you buy is compatible with your motherboard. Motherboard manufacturers will list compatible RAM on their websites.

(2) Get an antistatic wrist strap because computer components are pretty vulnerable to static.

(3) Make sure you have some small screwdrivers (many computer cases are toolless, but usually the motherboard and maybe some other components use small screws).

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
Since when was a heat sink for your CPU not a necessity?? Unless you mean in the in-box heat sink, which, for a gaming machine, isn't going to be sufficient
a stock cooler is more than sufficient for stock speeds & light-medium OCing. the guy is reluctant to even build his own computer, do you really think he's going to be doing that much OCing?
(2) Get an antistatic wrist strap because computer components are pretty vulnerable to static.
or just touch the computer case to ground yourself before you touch any parts

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured I would butt in here since there appears to be a lot of people who know what theyre talking about. I'm in the process of gathering parts for my first build. No games; just things like watching blu-ray rips, photoshop, and 200 open firefox tabs. I'm going for value. I don't want to spend more than I have to. How does this look? CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE MOBO: ASROCK 870 Extreme3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 40GB HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green PSU: Antec VP450

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
I figured I would butt in here since there appears to be a lot of people who know what theyre talking about. I'm in the process of gathering parts for my first build. No games; just things like watching blu-ray rips, photoshop, and 200 open firefox tabs. I'm going for value. I don't want to spend more than I have to. How does this look? CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE MOBO: ASROCK 870 Extreme3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 40GB HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green PSU: Antec VP450
I'm not sure what you can fit on a 40 GB SSD. Generally, people put the operating system ("OS") on the SSD, but I don't think 40 GBs is enough. I have only my OS on my SSD and it takes up 55 GBs. Also, I'd get the Caviar black. It is supposed to be much faster than the Green.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
or just touch the computer case to ground yourself before you touch any parts
That can be OK as long as he isn't assembling the computer on carpet or walking on carpet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads