• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a trucker wallet from Flat Head. Handsewn from steerhide using intertwining strands of cow tendon. Finished with sterling silver bits. Wallet originally started in that pale "natural leather" color but has since darkened from use and sunlight.

I went to see a chiropractor once and she said big, bulky wallets like these are bad for your back.

View attachment 1627087 View attachment 1627088 View attachment 1627089

Loved those Stockburg wallets, but they were soooo bulky. Sold mine way back in 2008. Yours is looking good!!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Why not post this here) Here is a fantastic video about the oldest discovered trousers, which are 3,000 years old, and the environmental context in which they made/worn. What I found most fascinating was application of intelligence and love of the various scholars and artisans to recreate the pants, therefore showing how sophisticated the pant's manufacturing originally was.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Why not post this here) Here is a fantastic video about the oldest discovered trousers, which are 3,000 years old, and the environmental context in which they made/worn. What I found most fascinating was application of intelligence and love of the various scholars and artisans to recreate the pants, therefore showing how sophisticated the pant's manufacturing originally was.

Ultimate Vintage!

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is arguing that clothing is the road to self actualization. Just that there's a difference between this:

View attachment 1626708

And this:

View attachment 1618891

XFqHtXE.jpeg

clothingfun

Reaction score
My dad wore bolos once or twice a week. I had a couple as a kid and wore them in high school occasionally but not since then. D's is one of the nicest I've ever seen, along w/ one @clothingfun posted a while back.

@dieworkwear, that guy did look good in his. Reminded me of @lefty or @Baron. I could see either of them pulling it off, along w/ @Parker. What's AoM, btw?

@ emptym

Many thanks for your kind words! If anyone is curious this is the bespoke piece he is referring to. I believe this should paste appropriately but one may have to scroll down a bit. The sentimental value makes it even more special.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the Santa Fe flea market this morning and came across these. The larger figure bolos are about 6". Perhaps the bolo equivalent of Ralph Lauren's late 60's wide neckties?
View attachment 1627456

The one at 3 o'clock is my fav. I believe that's Royston turquoise and I've been looking for a cuff bracelet made with that. Something old and tarnished. Something about the sea green with brown veins appeal to me more so than bluer stone.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the Santa Fe flea market compare to Alameda?

The Santa Fe flea is tiny especially compared to Alameda. Its focus is much more Southwest, Spanish Colonial and Native American as you might expect. It's at its peak in the summer when collectors, dealers and pickers come to town from all over the world to buy, sell & trade at the major Western and Native American arts and antiques shows held in Santa Fe and ABQ. (one is coming up this next weekend, the Cody Old West Show). Most collectors/dealers stockpile their really good stuff for these shows where they can get higher prices than the flea markets. But the Santa Fe flea also has many very knowledgable sellers (and characters) who have been doing it for decades and are happy to chat and educate you. One seller, yesterday, was a retired professor of Native American history and has written multiple books on NA jewelry. He is happy to chat for as long as you want. Everyone has their "That time I sold___ to Ralph Lauren" or "When I was staying at the RRL Ranch..."

What is really fun is when a good picker will come to town for the flea market. They will contact local dealers and say "I have a lot of (jewelry or rugs) and no sales until 8AM, first come first served". There will be a dozen+ dealers picking over things and all of the good stuff will be gone in 10-15 minutes. A true feeding frenzy. But you better know your stuff if you want a good deal.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was at the Santa Fe flea market this morning and came across these. The larger figure bolos are about 6". Perhaps the bolo equivalent of Ralph Lauren's late 60's wide neckties?
View attachment 1627456 View attachment 1627457
I like the second ones the best and could theoretically possibly see myself ironically unironically (or perhaps unironically ironically) wearing them in the SW.

But I also wonder: because there is obvious iconography for a culture I have no connection to, would that be a faux pas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics