• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like Foo is turning into the stereotypical rich guy with terrible taste... somebody who gets a lot more attention than I do...wahhhhhhhh!!!

I challenge you to go toe to toe with Foo in a battle showing off five different outfits. Let's see who wins.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear don't you have basically the same ropers from DBF? How are they?

Don't have them, but I think they look nice. IMO, those seem like the kind of boots you'd wear with "elegant" SWD clothing like DBF or Lemaire. I think for your workwear outfits, I'd do a more rugged looking boot.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have them, but I think they look nice. IMO, those seem like the kind of boots you'd wear with "elegant" SWD clothing like DBF or Lemaire. I think for your workwear outfits, I'd do a more rugged looking boot.

I hear you. They look very "pretty".

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I challenge you to go toe to toe with Foo in a battle showing off five different outfits. Let's see who wins.
Have no fear Foo your white knight has arrived

image-asset.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hear you. They look very "pretty".

I think your outfits would look good with Red Wing's Pecos in suede. Eric Kvatek, who shoots many of Kapital's lookbooks, wears them. They're hard to find now, as I think they've been discontinued, but you sometimes see them pop up on second-hand sites.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your outfits would look good with Red Wing's Pecos in suede. Eric Kvatek, who shoots many of Kapital's lookbooks, wears them. They're hard to find now, as I think they've been discontinued, but you sometimes see them pop up on second-hand sites.

Maybe I should just use my Kap Popeye boots more often...

1623354688629.png

1623354831034.png

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, this is what I said in my initial response to your post, saint laurent santiags or the Barbapapa boots are an ok option if you wear slim jeans but that doesn't seem to be the case so maybe go with something else. If you don't I'm sure you'll look fine hey but I mean if you have the option get something less gimmicky.

Note: I also am not a very authentic cowboy stuff wearer; one of my denim shirts sorta looks like a regular raw denim trad cowboy one but it is by Dries and has black shiny rhinestones or whatever all over.
The rhinestones and giant embroidered crosses make it look like authentic western attire circa 2006.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wait until the tortoise shell frames are complete.

How long have you been waiting now?

Looking forward to the eventual western f00 pic.

We can compare it to his Saint Laurent fit pics, and see which is better.

And wanted to send love to the old timers like Fuuma, AHarris, Roma, RJMan, Journeyman, a bunch of others, you know who you are. Tearing up as I write this. :marchal:

Thanks, Ed - to you, too.

I wore one of my Panta ties to work earlier this week and my daughter told me that I looked fancy, so you can take that as a compliment! Hope that all is going well.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Panta trousers a few years ago and they were too big so I had to return them. Nicest trousers I’ve ever held or seen.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rios look really good. I'll be honest, I'm sure all the quality hounds will disagree but I feel the Lucchese I've seen were definitely not cheap looking (sometimes gaudy sure) and probably over-constructed for what I do with boots.

Lucchese really runs the gamut in terms of quality, craftsmanship, and design, so it is hard to sum them up in a few words. They make boots that retail for $400; they make boots that retail for $3,000. I am imagining the uplift in price is probably driven by quality of materials and level of workmanship (all of their boots are "handcrafted" but I am sure that means different things at different price points). I was more referring to the $400 to $500 variety. Those are the entry-level boots that most people would be familiar with. I can't complain about the build quality (to my eye) and the designs are decent, if a little boring, but for me, I'd rather spend a little more for Heritage or Rios since there are aspects of both of those makers that just work better for me. One boot that doesn't seem to get a lot of love are Black Jack. These are also in the same price range as Lucchese, but somehow just look and feel a little more authentic to me, and definitely worth a look as an alternative for someone who was gonna default to Lucchese anyway. The whispers (if there is such a thing as "whispers" in the western boot world) are that the company was started by a bunch of ex-Lucchese employees.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey - just had an idea! I seem to recall Foo successfully adopting the Disney heroine Ice Queen Elsa into his car finish. Maybe he could carry over the cartoon character theme and get Charvet to embroider some western Looney Tunes figures on the shoulders? Obviously the cloth, cut and finishing work would be of a much higher quality, but something along these lines:
s-l64.jpg

Dooh! You can't see the images very well but that's Yosemite Sam on the right shoulder and 'Cowboy' Bugs Bunny on the left

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey - just had an idea! I seem to recall Foo successfully adopting the Disney heroine Ice Queen Elsa into his car finish. Maybe he could carry over the cartoon character theme and get Charvet to embroider some western Looney Tunes figures on the shoulders? Obviously the cloth, cut and finishing work would be of a much higher quality, but something along these lines:
View attachment 1622878
Dooh! You can't see the images very well but that's Yosemite Sam on the right shoulder and 'Cowboy' Bugs Bunny on the left
you laugh but about 15 years ago they did a collab with some Japanese hypebeast guy and sold shirts at Colette with some gorilla or other animal embroidered on the chest.

PS I love the embroidery work of Hiroko Kubota who embroiders trompe l'oeil cats on shirts. I sent some pics to my current shirtmaker to ask if he would be offering a similar service. I think he took a couple alka seltzers and then diplomatically told me most of his customers would find it a bit OTT. @TheFoo , would you consider making this little guy the mascot of the :foo2: bar ranch?

1623364154091.png

Artist Hiroko Kubota Embroiders Popular Internet Cats on Shirts at the Request of Her Son | Colossal (thisiscolossal.com)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads