• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke lined six-fold tie Appreciation

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Given Gordon Brown's enormous borrowing spree announced yesterday, I don't expect the pound to rise against the dollar any time soon.

I'm hoping that's the case for my next order!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Threads like this promise Appreciation but delivery prudery.
frown.gif

True, but I also deliver big bushy *****:

288420420_sMfjT-L.jpg

And...iEgads...a midnight blue derby!

- B

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
True, but I also deliver big bushy *****:

288420420_sMfjT-L.jpg

And...iEgads...a midnight blue derby!

- B

Vox has 80's beave!
laugh.gif

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that site even work? I have had no luck with it. I wanted to buy Tepdoc a present. FooFan steered me to London. - B
I tried registering an account with gmail, but it didn't work. I tried with my ISP account and it did. Once that was done, the order was put through. Don't expect your order to be shipped within a day or two, however :) Also, orders ship via FedEx, yet without specifically asking, you're not likely to get a tracking number: very 'European' :p I like this one
___components_com_virtuemart_shop_image_product_Rubinacci032_DSC3877_jpg_w_181_h_149.jpeg
but it might be a bit hard to wear.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
I tried registering an account with gmail, but it didn't work. I tried with my ISP account and it did. Once that was done, the order was put through. Don't expect your order to be shipped within a day or two, however :) Also, orders ship via FedEx, yet without specifically asking, you're not likely to get a tracking number: very 'European' :p

Watcha get?

- B

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
ledgerjokereq2.jpg
Why so narrow?

Those ties look perfectly proportioned to me. Most of my ties are 3.5"-3.75", but that just looks right. Something about the grenadine almost seems to call for the slightly narrower width. Perhaps if vox would honour us with a pic of him wearing one with the whole tie exposed I could visualize the width more accurately (HINT, HINT)
smile.gif
Also, what are the benefits of 6-fold construction in this case. I know it involves more silk, it's more expensive, artisanal, yada yada yada.... But does it actually change the overall thickness of the tie itself or the knot? I want one to wear in a windsor knot, and Sam Hober's website says he can thin it out in the neck to make this possible. Has anyone actually tried this?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watcha get? - B
Mr FedEx is meant to arrive in the next hour or two with it, as I missed him yesterday (a problem with no tracking number). I got a cashmere tie. Cashmere or wool ties are impossible to find in Australia :-( Here it is. Upon ordering it, the shop took off some tax (I think) so it came down to 100 Euros.
___components_com_virtuemart_shop_image_product_s_102_jpg_w_181_h_149.jpeg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Those ties look perfectly proportioned to me. Most of my ties are 3.5"-3.75", but that just looks right. Something about the grenadine almost seems to call for the slightly narrower width.

Where I've settled is solids at 8cm and for patterns 9cm. Don't ask me to explain.

Also, what are the benefits of 6-fold construction in this case. I know it involves more silk, it's more expensive, artisanal, yada yada yada.... But does it actually change the overall thickness of the tie itself or the knot?

My opinion is that in the same thickness, a multifold tie has the advantage of...well...suppleness over a three-fold that is made substantial with a thicker lining. It feels nicer, and is less cardboard-y.

I finally got an example of the Rubinacci unlined 7, and it is unlike any tie I have seen. So, I will exclude that from my arithmetic for now...I have to live with it a bit to see if I like it or hate it.

I want one to wear in a windsor knot, and Sam Hober's website says he can thin it out in the neck to make this possible. Has anyone actually tried this?

David is bespoke fully...he will adust the linings according to what you want to achieve. Talk to him and find out.

- B

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm hoping that's the case for my next order!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Surprised you go back to trawling the sales racks for RTW when you're also ordering bespoke.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Surprised you go back to trawling the sales racks for RTW when you're also ordering bespoke.

I have space in my heart for both RTW and bespoke. MTO EGs are still my favorite vice.
inlove.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But do you have room in your closet for either? You've rented out a storage unit somewhere, haven't you? It's OK, you're among friends here...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
But do you have room in your closet for either? You've rented out a storage unit somewhere, haven't you? It's OK, you're among friends here...
At one point I made a deal with my wife that she would never give me **** about buying shoes, as long as I stopped buying once I filled up my shoe closet. It only holds about 20 pair, and I stuck to my end of the bargain, so I haven't purchased any shoes in a long time. For awhile, I would replace ones I ddin't like with new pairs, but I like what I have now. One of the benefits of living in a city, I guess.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
At one point I made a deal with my wife that she would never give me **** about buying shoes, as long as I stopped buying once I filled up my shoe closet. It only holds about 20 pair, and I stuck to my end of the bargain, so I haven't purchased any shoes in a long time. For awhile, I would replace ones I ddin't like with new pairs, but I like what I have now. One of the benefits of living in a city, I guess.

That's an interesting bargain. Just this morning, I was weighing whether I should sell off a couple of pairs to make room for the two I grabbed this week. I don't really need any more (pace andrew), but I could upgrade a few of the current ones.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That's an interesting bargain. Just this morning, I was weighing whether I should sell off a couple of pairs to make room for the two I grabbed this week. I don't really need any more (pace andrew), but I could upgrade a few of the current ones.
The other half of the bargain is that she gets to have as many shoes as she wants, and gets to invade all of the other closets in the house, and I am not allowed to complain at all.
frown.gif
Seriously, I like having a somewhat limited number because I like them to get worn in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads