• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke for the Overweight Man

Pariolino

Reaction score
How large do you have to be before tailors start to charge extra for their bespoke services? If I only do CMT, do they still charge more for all of the extra sewing? I like my food and my clothes and don't want to give up on either.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
made to measure usually jumps at about size 46 or 48.
custom at about 48 or 50.
each tailor has his own price points.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have only heard a tiny number of stories about tailors charging more based on a customer's size. Most don't do it.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have only heard a tiny number of stories about tailors charging more based on a customer's size. Most don't do it.

Is that really true?

Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just surprised that tailors wouldn't experience increased costs in labor and, most certainly, materials in producing a suit for a US size 56L as opposed to a 38R. Generally the practice in the clothing industry is to price garments at a set point regardless of size, but many retailers from Target on up do charge a premium once you pass the XL or XXL level.

Considering the cost of fabrics used in making a bespoke suit, I find it remarkable that at some point a tailor wouldn't have to pass those costs on to his larger customers.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
All I know is what I have seen for myself or heard from others. On Savile Row, for instance, a price is a price. They have price lists, and they don't vary from customer to customer. There may be tailors who charge based on size, but I have not come across them.

I think this is probably drive by three factors. 1) They don't want to insult fat guys, who after all are people too and paying customers. 2) They don't want to be asked by short guys "If you charge him more, then shouldn't you give a discount to me?" 3) It's hard to know where to draw the line. The amount of cloth needed is different for every customer. At one point do you say, "This is too much, I'm charging him more"?

I think tailors and shirtmakers just figure that since the have clients of all sizes, the costs just evens out over the entire client base.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by selfmademob
lose weight you fat ****

Originally Posted by stickonatree
uncalled for.
plain.gif

are you anything like the guy in your avy though
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by Teacher
What the hell....?
plain.gif

Thanks for the support, but I am in no way offended. He is right that I should lose weight. It would be better for my health. The problem is that I prefer a cheeseburger to a piece of celery and I am not at all upset by being tubby.

I am happy to hear that a man like myself does not need to pay a larger price. I appreciate the replies.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino
Thanks for the support, but I am in no way offended. He is right that I should lose weight. It would be better for my health. The problem is that I prefer a cheeseburger to a piece of celery and I am not at all upset by being tubby. I am happy to hear that a man like myself does not need to pay a larger price. I appreciate the replies.
Right or not, there are better ways for a new person on the forum to make introductions! Also, I'm afraid you're right, the only good use for celery is adding a little color on the plate next to the Buffalo wings...although it does add a nice crunch to my tuna salad.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
both my tailor and one of my shirt makers have charged me for etra cloth. jantzen didn't. the labor isn't the issue, the fabric may be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads