• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke detachable collars?

bigbrother690

Reaction score
At this point I don't know why I'm not just PMing @Andy57 directly ;).

I'm beginning to formulate a final plan here for my white and black tie attire and feel that commissioning bespoke detachable collars is, currently, my best bet for getting all the permutations of dress that I want.

Specifically, I'm interested in two types- a fold down Marcella one and a regular cotton wing one where only the wings themselves (or their fronts) are Marcella.

I've reached out to New & Lingwood, Ede & Ravenscroft, and Turnbull and Asser and am waiting to hear back. Budd unfortunately botched a number of things with my last order with them so are out of the running.

Any others?

Thanks!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Laagerfeld use Hilditch & Key?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point I don't know why I'm not just PMing @Andy57 directly ;).

I'm beginning to formulate a final plan here for my white and black tie attire and feel that commissioning bespoke detachable collars is, currently, my best bet for getting all the permutations of dress that I want.

Specifically, I'm interested in two types- a fold down Marcella one and a regular cotton wing one where only the wings themselves (or their fronts) are Marcella.

I've reached out to New & Lingwood, Ede & Ravenscroft, and Turnbull and Asser and am waiting to hear back. Budd unfortunately botched a number of things with my last order with them so are out of the running.

Any others?

Thanks!
Those are the ones I would start with. Hilditch & Key and Budd would be the only other ones I'd suggest. Basically, any shirtmaker on Jermyn Street!

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Those are the ones I would start with. Hilditch & Key and Budd would be the only other ones I'd suggest. Basically, any shirtmaker on Jermyn Street!

Try Sean O’Flynn. He did my Marcella front, detachable collar evening shirt

bigbrother690

Reaction score

Great. Have reached out to H&K. Relatedly, can you explain to me the difference between Jermyn St. and Saville Row? Is one a subset of the other? Is the former known for shirts and the latter for suits? Sartorially-geographically curious, BB.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great. Have reached out to H&K. Relatedly, can you explain to me the difference between Jermyn St. and Saville Row? Is one a subset of the other? Is the former known for shirts and the latter for suits? Sartorially-geographically curious, BB.
Savile Row is a street in Mayfair and runs approximately parallel to Regent Street. It is the home of many of London's best and most famous bespoke tailoring houses. Poole, Huntsman, Chittleborough & Morgan, Gieves & Hawkes. Anderson & Sheppard used to be on the Row as did a number of others. Today quite a few "fashion" houses have moved into Savile Row to acquire the cachet of Savile Row by association.

Jermyn Street is a street in St James that runs parallel to Piccadilly. Jermyn Street is about 300-400 yards south of Savile Row. It is home to many famous bespoke shirt makers, as well as other menswear accessories suppliers. Floris, Edward Greeen, Crockett & Jones, Bates, and many others are located here. It's a much more "browsable" street than Savile Row.

Does that help?

bigbrother690

Reaction score
So is it more a matter of particular items (Savile for full suits, Jermyn for shirts, etc.) or price points (Savile $$$$, Jermyn $$)?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is it more a matter of particular items (Savile for full suits, Jermyn for shirts, etc.) or price points (Savile $$$$, Jermyn $$)?
Savile Row for tailoring, Jermyn Street for shirts, shoes, and much else. But both streets have other businesses in addition to tailoring and shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads