• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke cufflinks

Do you like these links?

• Yes

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look a little blinged out for my taste, but I am sure they can be pulled off well. Would love to see a picture of them on a shirt paired with a suit.

That's one thing about cufflinks- they're small and discretely placed (compared to women's jewelry), so they can be loud, whimsical, and whatever else without making too big a splash on the outfit. Yes, they're blingy, but unless they're massive for cufflinks, that blinginess is still going to be somewhat restrained.

Though I will agree that for my tastes, those are a bit much.

How about taking out the diamonds (perhaps leave 2 or 4 on opposite or all corners) and while I don't know how easy this would be to execute, have a ring of with radially striped gold and silver.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit heavy in the jewelry for my taste but still nicely done. I love the small center jewel on the opposite side. Gives it a unique touch that sets it apart from other cufflinks.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I really appreciate all the candid and polite input regarding the cufflinks. I hope additional discussion continues.

These are high end, hand crafted, unique pieces (I hope there are more in the future, in various configurations, as it seems from the poll some members here do indeed like the cufflinks as is, but more forumites on SF trend towards the conservative side, as do I).

When these are on, they are regular sized (i.e. small) cufflinks. The diamonds are not extremely noticeable, and one side (holding the topaz) only shows mainly gold and the interior of the cuff shows the silver and small center ruby detail. I will provide photos later on a FC shirt to demonstrate this.

Again, the jeweler added at their discretion the diamonds and the gold crown as per their artistic design, one that makes these cufflinks in isolated photos appear more grand than typical everyday silver or silk knots. For those interested or looking for everyday cufflinks, I assure you these are not. The jeweler did not have "every day" links in mind and designs jewelry to be jewelry - not intending them to be typical cufflinks. (I already own silver roped knot cufflinks, and other traditional cufflinks)

I wanted something that captures some of the beautiful features of the cufflinks, such as the bassinet, the back with the small Ruby and the one piece form factor, but sans gold and diamonds.

As with anything bespoke, there is a meld of design and ideas from the creator and client and influences on future pieces get adjusted as appropriate.

I thank everyone for their feedback, and look forward to the everyone's future input.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think they are nice for evening, but for business wear, no way. I assume that was not your intent though.

Big question is.... price.

you are absolutely correct regarding the cufflinks shown above - these are for the evening, not the office. a less "jeweled" version work be definitely more work appropriate.

Pricing is always a question, especially for the styleforum community. Members here share the passion for getting high quality goods at the best possible price. These jeweler's prices are extremely fair.

Any members with interest in a pair - in any configuration - with or without diamonds, in all sterling silver (or in solid gold, or a mix of the two), let me know and I'll work on getting you a pair!:slayer:

PS - I'm not making any money and in no way profiting from this - I believe in the jeweler and their product and want to see them do well. There is a lack of upper end men's cufflinks with non-swivel back design, and I'm sure we can all agree that it would be great if there were more strong options available.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
from http://www.seamanschepps.com/cufflinks.html

these are
inlove.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to know that there's someone willing to do high-end work like this. Showing off the topaz is a great idea - maybe I'd focus on just that rather than including the other design elements.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great to know that there's someone willing to do high-end work like this. Showing off the topaz is a great idea - maybe I'd focus on just that rather than including the other design elements.

+1

Generally I'm not a fan of precious stones, but if the topaz is intended as the primary area of focus I would keep everything else clean and simple. Have you considered working with enamel? It provides a splash of color and visual interest while remaining more sober and UTR. Another alternative would be a precious metal (e.g. white gold, platinum) with guillochage as its only adornment.

Perhaps something else to consider is to make the links double-sided (in this example with a plain back face of similar geometry as the primary, joined by a chain). All my links are double-sided, but I've had to source from eBay and antique shops as I've found the odd source of current production uninspired. In my experience, once someone goes double-sided it's a permanent conversion, so I believe there's an underserved market here...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While they are certainly nicely done, they do seem a bit too much for me. I prefer cufflinks that are more classic and subtle while combining excellent workmanship. Look forward to seeing the next model!

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The look great.

artoftime

Reaction score
Most guys of means I know can barely get through the day wearing a Rolex Daytona without feeling too flashy...think "depression era" ;) No 2 ways about it, these are for dandy connoisseur - the various styling and showy settings strike me as a bit costume-y for real life use, though show incredible skil. I'd think that you'd have more luck/interest in semi-precious stones set in sterling or 10k gold. I get the impression your jeweler would not be too keen to do so, but perhaps at least make concessions to single decent sized stones set in a very simple geometric setting?
What about other materials? Enameling is gorgeous, if not a lost art - simple, bold geometric designs in enamel into gold or white gold settings? Bit of a paradox in materials, but very cool. Cravate's idea is excellent - stainless steel or titanium with gemstones?
Keep it going - this is an admirable pursuit and clearly shows your appreciation for old world craftsmanship.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
the various styling and showy settings strike me as a bit costume-y for real life use, though show incredible skill.

exactly what i was thinking, i dont have the lifestyle to wear these every day! maybe for a fancy party

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads