• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke business shirt question

sydneycentric

Reaction score
From now on all my business shirts will be bespoke. I'm just wondering about the buttons on the cuffs. Single button or double button cuffs?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People will not give you their business if you have two buttons. You will be more successful with one button.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
What I'm getting at is does it matter whether it is double button or single button?
I assume you are questioning whether there should be one or two buttons sitting parallel to the cuff line (to allow for a tighter or looser fitting cuff) as opposed to buttons which are placed perpendicular to the cuff line.

On that basis, I would say a single button, since if it were a tailored shirt, you should already have the cuff length measurement nailed to avoid any unnecessary adjustments for fit (which is traditionally what the 2 buttons were used for on RTW shirts). And before you embark on your frenzy of getting all your business shirts tailored with a single-button barrelled cuff whilst on a high on this new-found pleasure in life, may I suggest you commit to this undertaking in phases, to allow for your tastes to change over time, and to add french cuffs for a bit of variety as well?
wink.gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a slight preference for 2 cuffs along the axis of the barrel, but it is a very minor detail and i really dont care much if a shirt comes with 1 configuration or the other

saimike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
i have a slight preference for 2 cuffs along the axis of the barrel, but it is a very minor detail and i really dont care much if a shirt comes with 1 configuration or the other

I'm the same. Silly as it may seem, I feel that the top of the cuff (closer to fingers) don't flap around as much this way -- not that a bespoke shirt with a 1 button cuff will. Personal preference.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
What I'm getting at is does it matter whether it is double button or single button?

You are obviously not ready for this step.

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
I assume you are questioning whether there should be one or two buttons sitting parallel to the cuff line (to allow for a tighter or looser fitting cuff) as opposed to buttons which are placed perpendicular to the cuff line.

On that basis, I would say a single button, since if it were a tailored shirt, you should already have the cuff length measurement nailed to avoid any unnecessary adjustments for fit (which is traditionally what the 2 buttons were used for on RTW shirts). And before you embark on your frenzy of getting all your business shirts tailored with a single-button barrelled cuff whilst on a high on this new-found pleasure in life, may I suggest you commit to this undertaking in phases, to allow for your tastes to change over time, and to add french cuffs for a bit of variety as well?
wink.gif

Fair enough!!

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist

wink.gif

Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
You are obviously not ready for this step.

As for you....i was born ready.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One button please, but don't forget to also add some french cuffs to your collection.

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
Single button is more formal, but as with most minor details, 99% won't notice the difference, and the majority of those who do won't think about it one way or the other.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by any chance you are still looking for somewhere to get your shirts made, i'd recommend Charles Nahkle in Parramatta.

Oh and 1 button on the cuffs. I have a mixture of 1 button, 2 button and a few french (which I wear less and less) but all of my MTM shirts are 1 button.

And I think depending on what you class as bespoke, unless you are a truly weird shape to fit, most people can get away with MTM rather than full Bespoke for shirts as in my experience (I used to be a MTM fitter once upon a time) shirts are much easier to fit than suits for example and the price difference can be quite a lot, plus there are alot less details in a short than a suit to use as an example.

I believe Charles does both MTM and full Bespoke, but am unsure of the prices now as it's been over 6 years since I had a shirt made there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics