• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke balance study: lapel width

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Some time this weekend I will try to take clearer photos of the lapels--at the very least, I'll take some measurements!

It's only the Donegal that I find problematical.

Just so that I am clear: since you noted that the cut among the SB jackets is the same, then we already start with the assumption that the physical width of the lapels are the same. There is then, no disparity in width and a tape measure will not tell you much.

What differs in the photographs is how the lapels stand on the chest, which if other aspect of the cut are duplicated, is only a function of the point to which the lapel rolls.

If you roll all your SB jackets to the button, they will look the same. If you roll one to one point, and the other to another, then they will not...and that is what the comparison photograph below shows...what it shows is not, to my eye, dependent on photographic quality:

396092676_JaVcq-O.jpg

It's quite evident that the lapel on the lower right lies wider than the one on the lower left. That could be the result of cut...but we have exluded that. So it is the roll, which can be a function of differing padding, different fabric, and differences in how the jackets were ironed or otherwise formed.

So, I have no doubts that the jackets can be made to look more similar, since they are by cut, but will it be more like the Donegal or more like the other tweed? I would prefer the latter for myself. The jacket on the lower left hits mid-chest, the one on the lower right goes well past.

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of this is splitting hairs. A few comments.

1) With the exception of the donegal, which I agree has lapels that are slightly wider than I would prefer, Foo's garments are very well done.

2) In my opinion, Foo would benefit from a 2 or 2.5 button front on his coats. His fabric choices, however, are superb.

3) Matt's coats and suits set the bar for LH and SF. He also is a long standing client with numerous garments to his name. This counts for something.

4) It takes a lot of balls to post full length pics of yourself on places like SF and for that Foo should be commended. At the very least, it elevates the conversation around here especially when at times this place can be downright dismal and uninspired.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox - Are you saying that the harder the lapel rolls down toward the button, the wider the lapel appears?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
A lot of this is splitting hairs. A few comments.

1) With the exception of the donegal, which I agree has lapels that are slightly wider than I would prefer, Foo's garments are very well done.

I like them too, but I hope that the other SBs do not chase the Donegal to the edge of the chest, which they will if the cut is the same and the jacket is pressed to go straight to the button like the Donegal...and like the other Rubinacci jackets that iammatt referenced.

2) In my opinion, Foo would benefit from a 2 or 2.5 button front on his coats. His fabric choices, however, are superb.

I like his single button, and does MR let you pick a less than superb fabric?

3) Matt's coats and suits set the bar for LH and SF. He also is a long standing client with numerous garments to his name. This counts for something.

I could be remembering this inaccurately, but I seem to recall left coast Matt saying that while there was a bit of evolution in the cut of his jackets, generally speaking, the fit is consistent from early to recent. I find this to be true for myself as well.

It is interesting to me, at least, to ask why, if you agree that iammatt's stuff sets the bar, that is so. Since other Rubinacci jackets are not met so well, why is that? This lapel thing about mafoofan's Donegal is just a way to explore that.

4) It takes a lot of balls to post full length pics of yourself on places like SF and for that Foo should be commended. At the very least, it elevates the conversation around here especially when at times this place can be downright dismal and uninspired.

It does, and I do, and thus, the conversation.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Vox - Are you saying that the harder the lapel rolls down toward the button, the wider the lapel appears?

To say it more accurately, the lower the roll, and the less actual roll in the lapel, the wider the lapel will be on the chest.

You can play around with this carefully with an iron. I repeat, carefully.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I love this thread. Perspective is good. I feel sane and practically cavalier, now.

I expected you to weigh in, and now you have.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I weary of your traps for the unwary.

Hah!

What's your favorite mid-gray woolen flannel again?

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I like his single button, and does MR let you pick a less than superb fabric?
Let's just put it this way, I'd be curious to his and SF's reaction if he went the route I proposed.

I could be remembering this inaccurately, but I seem to recall left coast Matt saying that while there was a bit of evolution in the cut of his jackets, generally speaking, the fit is consistent from early to recent. I find this to be true for myself as well.

It is interesting to me, at least, to ask why, if you agree that iammatt's stuff sets the bar, that is so. Since other Rubinacci jackets are not met so well, why is that? This lapel thing about mafoofan's Donegal is just a way to explore that.
My exceptions with Foo's garments are not related to fit but rather stylistic choices (wider lapel, one button closure, higher notch). The comments related to sleeve width and waist suppression seem overtly critical. On balance, I like Matt's style choices and I think, generally speaking, the forum would agree. I liked them so much in fact that I told MR to mirror the choices for my own garments taking cues from MR along the way (ie - more of a roped shoulder, etc.).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The comments related to sleeve width and waist suppression seem overtly critical.

I shall try to keep my criticism more covert then.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hah!

What's your favorite mid-gray woolen flannel again?

- B

If you mean the color I liked best, I chose the Harrisons 39029 ( a woolen flannel 400gms).
The other distributors had almost identical colors in their books in that weight and my choice of Harrisons was pretty arbitrary.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you mean the color I liked best, I chose the Harrisons 39029 ( a woolen flannel 400gms).
The other distributors had almost identical colors in their books in that weight and my choice of Harrisons was pretty arbitrary.

Thank you.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let's just put it this way, I'd be curious to his and SF's reaction if he went the route I proposed.

I bet it look great...no reason not to have both. You mean a 3 to 2.5 or 2, right, not a two button? I can't support a two button bespoke jacket unless you're going for a paddock over/under close (i.e, cut for both buttons to be buttoned).

My exceptions with Foo's garments are not related to fit but rather stylistic choices (wider lapel, one button closure, higher notch). The comments related to sleeve width and waist suppression seem overtly critical. On balance, I like Matt's style choices and I think, generally speaking, the forum would agree. I liked them so much in fact that I told MR to mirror the choices for my own garments taking cues from MR along the way (ie - more of a roped shoulder, etc.).

iammatt was doing well until the chest hair came out.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads