• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke balance study: lapel width

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I shall try to keep my criticism more covert then.

Keep your stinkin' sleeve fullness and waist suppression comments out of my lapel thread.

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I bet it look great...no reason not to have both. You mean a 3 to 2.5 or 2, right, not a two button? I can't support a two button bespoke jacket unless you're going for a paddock over/under close (i.e, cut for both buttons to be buttoned).

iammatt was doing well until the chest hair came out.

- B

Wait a minute, I thought that was a wool tie from the 70s?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Wait a minute, I thought that was a wool tie from the 70s?

I hope that he sleeps face up. Face down, there could be irreversible felting.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hah! You are a good sport, my friend.

- B

Well, you did call me dapper.*

* Yes, yes, I know, "But Iammatt is the dapperest and has a regular body and a regular head."

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'll instantly side with anyone who fights what you guys call "normalization", for some reason I think Schutzstaffel or 1984 when I read that talk. I know you guys think classicism but I can't stop my mind from free-associating.

With that being said your body and demeanour have to somehow click with what you're wearing. Matt will never look youthful or sleek but he can definitely be sleazy (I mean that in the nicest way) or stately. Looking at whnay's picture I couldn't help thinking I'd trust that guy with my money but would expect him to go to sleep at ten. Mafoo has a youthful and, for a lack of better word, "cute" air about him that IMHO goes awful with his sunglasses but great with something stylized like the DB; he does studied elegance well and I'm sure his fiancÃ
00a9.png
e agrees. You wouldn't be surprised to hear him discuss the intricacies of pocket square folding and I think he can use that to his advantage in aiming for eccentric cuts.

Just a few jumbled thoughts that focus on something beside button stance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My lapels are off-kilter. Bill started a thread to discuss my off-kilter lapels. Fuuma thinks I'm cute.

All in all, an upsetting and disconcerting day on SF for mafoofan.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd like to point out that I suffer the distinct disadvantage of having my head plainly attached to my body--and in my case, the disadvantage is not a small one.

Hah! You are a good sport, my friend.

****, mafoofan, you get my vote for sportsman of the year for that statement! For the rest, while I think voxsartoria is probably on to something (alright, I didn't read the whole theory), I'll just say I find mafoofan looks pretty good here, where the proportions are best:

Mafoofan: SB tweed

ml.jpg

I find the other suits/pics are rather unflattering. I subscribe to the notion that a suit should highlight your best attributes and hide less desirable features; this should be all the more true when you've gone through the trouble and considerable expense of bespoke.

As for the pics, I applaud mafoofan for having the balls to post them for public scrutiny though I must say mafoofan, you don't look very at ease posing for pics (neither am I). As such, I rarely `pose`, though I always enjoy pictures that were snapped while I was unaware, or at least not looking. Looking comfortable/at ease goes a long way in making one look good, the cut and make of the suit is just a (small) part of the equation.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. The balance of the lapel to shoulder on mafoofan in the upper right in the DB is also correct for me...I expect and want fuller lapels on DB jackets for myself, and I expect a peaked lapel to extend closer to the shoulder than a notch lapel on the same man.

Thoughts on PL width on SB vs. DB? I have some pictures to post when I get home tonight that seem to be contrary to this accepted wisdom.

--Andre

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Since you exhibit style, generosity, and good humor, you have no reason to be disconcerted.

You know, if my theory turns out to have merit, and you end up sharing the preference of bringing your lapels in a little on the Donegal jacket to where it is on the other tweed jacket, it's just five minutes with a iron, a mister, and a press cloth.

If you don't share it, just wear the Donegal as is. It will still rock as a whole.

- B

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jacketfront2s.jpg

Just adding mfan's first jacket for more comparisons.

Even though mfan insisted that his jackets are cut the same, i honestly don't think the lapels have the same width (when worn) or cut the same way. The differences are especially apparent if you pay attention to how jacket lapels covering the chest pockets.

MFan's second jacket is a hit, his db suit is a hit. But the first jacket and the donegal jacket are both well tailored tragedies, imo.

Reaction score
It is all in the eye of the beholder. I think the beauty of having cloth cut and assembled in the requested way to please the owner is the most important aspect. Others are entitled to their opinions but if one is pleased and comfortable with the final product, why study, let's be happy. We all have different physical appearances and opinions, what a great world.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Thoughts on PL width on SB vs. DB? I have some pictures to post when I get home tonight that seem to be contrary to this accepted wisdom.

--Andre

I'm sure that there are exceptions, but in general (not always), the accepted wisdom is accepted and wise.

If we keep things to the same maker under discussion, here is iammatt...DB dinner jacket on the left, SB odd jacket on the right (I had to process the contrast on the dinner jacket quite a bit to bring out the lapel line from a very dark photograph):

396235305_B7242-O.jpg

Again, the comparison is not pixel perfect, so one's eye should be on the percentage of width of the chest real estate that is lapel and the percentage that is not. I think you can easily see that the peaked DB lapel is wider...even though it is dropping to a more acute buttoning point that is beyond the centerline of the torso, where the SB drops to the centerline, which is relatively fattening (to the lapel, that is).

Would there be a reason for the two proportions to converge on a smaller frame? Maybe, but I would prefer not. I particular, I see no reason for an SB notch lapel to get closer to the edge of the chest than a DB peaked lapel.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
MFan's second jacket is a hit, his db suit is a hit. But the first jacket and the donegal jacket are both well tailored tragedies, imo.

I don't agree with that at all. Here is different and later shot of mafoofan's first jacket:

paris.jpg

It looks debonair to me. I had some concerns about the collar when he first got it, and I don't know if this later shot reflects an adjustment for that or not, since we only see the front, but the jacket looks phenomenal. And it makes him look splendid.

Given the expertise and quality at Rubinacci, and since there wasn't a change to the pattern, I do not think that a variance in cut is what we are seeing in the lapels.

Maybe one could argue that with different fabrics, the cut should be adapted more. But I honestly think just a little bit of ironing would take care of what I am noting about the Donegal jacket.

- B

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lapels are off-kilter. Bill started a thread to discuss my off-kilter lapels. Fuuma thinks I'm cute.

I offer you this in comfort
800px-Reeses_Peanut_Butter_Cups.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailor made or naked
It is all in the eye of the beholder. I think the beauty of having cloth cut and assembled in the requested way to please the owner is the most important aspect. Others are entitled to their opinions but if one is pleased and comfortable with the final product, why study, let's be happy. We all have different physical appearances and opinions, what a great world.

That is both true and yet incomplete.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads