• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt direction

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
The basis of all pointless arguments-scramble for any reason to justify your original position regardless of whether that was the reason for your original decision.

Regardless of you unfortunate heritage if it takes you several extra minutes to thread a belt, perhaps you are the marsupial?

No, you are quite clearly the marsupial.

First off, you make an obnoxiously grandstanding claim about there being only one absolutely correct way to thread a belt, with the implication that any other practitioner is acting out of ignorance and ineptitude, with there being no possible justification for anything to be right. Note that my original "marsupial" remark only targeted people who had a stick immersed far enough up their asses to carry such an attitude seriously, not people who practiced differently than I. Futhermore, I offered a legitimate and logical argument justifying my own personal practices from an efficiency standpoint: the observation that it is substantially quicker for me to thread my belt in a way that is conducive to my hand dominance, backed by the observation that my doing so has never been enough of an issue to induce hostile reactions in any sane person that has seen my technique.

You, on the other hand, only offer some flimsy evidence based entirely on your ethnocentric biases and applying to a very limited few. I am not a citizen of the UK. I have never lived in the UK. I have no immediate British heritage (with no disrespect to lovely Great Britain, thanks for being a racist ass and implying that anyone who doesn't have John Bull's blood is some creature of "unfortunate" and inferior existence). I have never served in the military in any capacity, nor do I intend to do so. I would reckon that a majority of the board's membership, and certainly a majority of the citizens of the U.S., where this forum is based, fit the same bill. So why exactly does your example of the lofted British army have any relevance at all? Please do explain this, because right now your holier-than-thou example has as much weight as I would if I were to say that the choice of the brother-in-law of the best friend of Chief Ooga Booga of some random Bantu tribe in western Malawi to wear his ceremonial leopard skin belt clockwise meant that every single person who didn't do so was ignorant and wrong.

The funny thing is that I actually know quite a bit about British military history, especially considering that one of my last college papers traced the development of the New Model Army and the progression of Parliamentarian military organization and tactics from the time of the indecisive Battle of Edgehill to victory in the First Civil War at Naseby. Suprisingly enough, I never in any of my studies encountered any sources enlightening me on how the direction of the soldiers' belt threading was a historically significant tradition that factored into the identity and success of the army. I realize this will fall on deaf ears since I'm talking to someone who couldn't distinguish the Battle of Dettingen from the siege of Drogheda or Thomas Fairfax from Thomas Gage, but suffice it to say that none of the English/British history scholars (and natives) I've studied under, who would certainly far outclass you in knowledge of British military history, have ever emphasized the sheer importance of belt-threading direction among British military leaders. I'm just dying to see you send me a JSTOR link where I can find a series of enlightening scholarly articles on how the choice of British soldiers to thread their belts the proper, counter-clockwise way marks the nation's greatest military innovation since the use of longbows at Crecy.

Anyways, to finish my highly sarcastic and pretentious post (duly in rebuttal to a post of similar style), I will cite Oliver Wendell Holmes' quote, "It is revolting to have no better reason for a rule of law than that so it was laid down in the time of Henry IV." Certainly, you have offered no better reason, whereas my argument of making the matter of belt direction a choice dependent on individual expediency and practicality has. Therefore, I'm well-justified in my choice, and so is anyone who threads his belt counter-clockwise because it is more efficient for him to do so. So, in conclusion, go *************.

To J et al.: apologies for dragging this out further, but darn it, I just got back from off a rough day of work and couldn't let this insult go unanswered. Please go easy on me, I'll stay out of this moribund thread from now on.

Nonk

Reaction score
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 important points in your post-

1. You have never served in the Military
2. You are not British.

Puts your opinions of the British Military and your qualification to comment in sharp focus.

I would suggest the British military and the British in general are some of the most influential and important innovators in sartorial history and many if not most of the accepted standards are due in no small part to them, and they remain a bastion of those standards because of their long history and the Regimental system.

They have a specific way of threading a belt which I stated.

Get over it.

You chose to describe this tradition as marsupialed.

You set the tone.

I for one have no time for some foreign, ignorant, civvy wanker referring to our traditions as marsupialed.

So wind your neck in.

I'm just dying to see you send me a JSTOR link where I can find a series of enlightening scholarly articles on how the choice of British soldiers to thread their belts the proper, counter-clockwise way marks the nation's greatest military innovation since the use of longbows at Crecy.
and grow up.

Chicago

Reaction score
I've actually always belted to my left, out of habbit, yet I'm right handed. I do remember at some point in my youth I asked my dad which was I was supposed to run the belt and I vaguely recall his affirming my penchant for the left (and women to the right). Oddly enough though, I string the two d-ring belts I have in the same fashion, so they end up to the right.

Like wine and cigars, I say belt whichever way you like.

Carey

Reaction score
marsupials! Sheesh, you guys are fighting like a couple of girls. The final word on which way the belt goes is Buckle on the left.

As a former US Army officer, our training calls for the belt threaded counter-clockwise. The belt buckle should be on the left side of the wearer's body. The right edge of the buckle is supposed to form a vertical line with the right edge (opening) of the trouser's fly, as is the edged of the shirt's front placket. The military tradition is the final word.

Even if one did not serve in the military, custom should rule the day. The only exception is when trousers have improperly positioned belt loops, or one is wearing a ridiculous belt e.g. rodeo buckle, or an eighties double wrap model - which no self respecting man should ever wear!

If you have to be different, wear a necktie around your waist like Fred Astaire, if you have the style to pull it off. Most don't.

Best regards,

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Im a righty but I thread it clockwise. It just feels so right
laugh.gif

Heres reasoning for clockwise: it creates pant structural integrity! You see the natural tendency of the pants to twist one way is naturally counteracted by the belt being the "wong way." So take that all you conforming suckers with your flys halfway to your behind! Buaha

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this is fine but what direction do you put a belt on when wearing a black suit?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
All of this is fine but what direction do you put a belt on when wearing a black suit?
I think it's important to determine which direction a girl takes off my belt for me.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Around your neck and over the shower curtain when the shame becomes overwhelming.

AmInAm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Originally Posted by aybojs
The idea of there being some absolute correct way to thread a belt is pretty marsupialed

Given that I (and the entire British Armed Forces) am being called a "marsupial", I would point out that, funnily enough, the remarks are made by someone who does it wrong.

One important point regarding your post:

1. Your reading comprehension skills need some serious work.

He didn't describe either the tradition or those that adhere to the tradition as marsupialed but rather the attitude that anyone who doesn't adhere to the tradition must be wrong. Nor did he explicitly ascribe this attitude to you (your initial post on the topic seems pretty reasonable in this regard); nelly, who stated that people who buckled their belts incorrectly annoy him, seems to have been his initial target.

(For the record, despite being left-handed, I usually thread my belts the traditional way, although, like one of the other posters, I occasionally thread them the other way in a so-far vain attempt to resist warping.)

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
what direction should suspenders go?

Start in the back, pull them over the shoulders and button the fronts--left-side first, of course. Every idiot knows that.

sly.gif

The above was a joke.

I can't believe this thread survived the weekend.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Start in the back, pull them over the shoulders and button the fronts--left-side first, of course. Every idiot knows that.
I hate to tell you this but you are wearing your suspenders upside-down!
alien.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads