• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt direction

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'm a lefty. The tip of my belt points to the left. FWTW.

I'm also a lefty and the tip of my belt points to the left. Anyone who doesn't do it my way is a girly man.
sarcasm.gif

Earthmover

Reaction score
Mine usually points to the left, but once in a while I'll switch it up to reverse the warping of the belt. Not sure if it actually works.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
we should note that for D-ring belts, you have to put it on in the opposite direction to make it point left.
Why exactly is that important? In one of my pictures I'm wearing one with chinos, and nobody seemed to tell me I was doing it the "wrong" way.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Why exactly is that important? In one of my pictures I'm wearing one with chinos, and nobody seemed to tell me I was doing it the "wrong" way.

It's not important at all. It's just a convention - men counter-clockwise, women clockwise. Some like to follow conventions (or are simply used to following them, like me), some don't care, and some like to reject or fight conventions. All are fine with me
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
We didn't want to embarrass you, but now that you mention it . . .

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
These belts show that for the maker's name to be right side up the excess need point left:

Who's the maker? I can't quite make it out.
smile.gif

nelly

Reaction score
After kitonbrioni's undeniable visual evidence, I think the debate is over. Thank you kb for showing these right-siders that they are wrong.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Mine usually points to the left, but once in a while I'll switch it up to reverse the warping of the belt. Not sure if it actually works.

This is what I've always done. I actually switch it up everyother wear. I should point out that I dress casually 99% of the time. And I have noticed stretching on the top or bottom of my belt if it's worn in the same direction for too long.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is look at a buckle with something on it to realize they;re doing it wrong.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Then again, because of popular convention, all the embossing could be done to conform to it - becuase they are written this way doesn't necessarily mean it is the "right" way, maybe it's just that most people do it this way.

BTW, I am a conformist.

Nonk

Reaction score
Sorry, but not being of immediate British ancestry, nor having been presented with any reason why I should regard their armed forces as authorities on sartorial matters, I see no reason why that tradition should be of any relevance to myself, or really, any average person trying to decide how to thread his belt.

It's not out of ignorance that I choose to thread my belt one way or another, but a matter of practicality and logic. Gee, should I thread my belt in one direction in a quick, familiar motion that affords my natural hand dominance, or should I spend several extra minutes awkwardly pushing it through another way because someone is going to browbeat me by saying that the British Army demands I do it that way? Getting worked up about how other people thread their belts is what I find "marsupialed."
The basis of all pointless arguments-scramble for any reason to justify your original position regardless of whether that was the reason for your original decision.

Regardless of you unfortunate heritage if it takes you several extra minutes to thread a belt, perhaps you are the marsupial?

tabasco

Reaction score
Sheesh, it's just brainless. I agree with the "dominant hand" theory. That and habit. I had a watch with leather strap, worn on left wrist (I'm a righty), and occasionally the strap broke requiring replacement. Sometime the watch face ME, and sometimes not. Unless I "belted" it the other way. I got used to it.

Reminds me of the bow tie question...left over right, over right over left ? It doesn't matter as long as it works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads