Belt direction

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bradford, Aug 31, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm a lefty. The tip of my belt points to the left. FWTW.

I'm also a lefty and the tip of my belt points to the left. Anyone who doesn't do it my way is a girly man. [​IMG]

2. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Mine usually points to the left, but once in a while I'll switch it up to reverse the warping of the belt. Not sure if it actually works.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

we should note that for D-ring belts, you have to put it on in the opposite direction to make it point left.
    Why exactly is that important? In one of my pictures I'm wearing one with chinos, and nobody seemed to tell me I was doing it the "wrong" way.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why exactly is that important? In one of my pictures I'm wearing one with chinos, and nobody seemed to tell me I was doing it the "wrong" way.

It's not important at all. It's just a convention - men counter-clockwise, women clockwise. Some like to follow conventions (or are simply used to following them, like me), some don't care, and some like to reject or fight conventions. All are fine with me [​IMG]

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

These belts show that for the maker's name to be right side up the excess need point left:
    [​IMG]

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

We didn't want to embarrass you, but now that you mention it . . .

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

These belts show that for the maker's name to be right side up the excess need point left:
    [​IMG]

Who's the maker? I can't quite make it out. [​IMG]

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Brioni, Brioni, Ferragamo (sterling silver), Brioni

9. nelly

nelly Senior member

After kitonbrioni's undeniable visual evidence, I think the debate is over. Thank you kb for showing these right-siders that they are wrong.

10. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Mine usually points to the left, but once in a while I'll switch it up to reverse the warping of the belt. Not sure if it actually works.

This is what I've always done. I actually switch it up everyother wear. I should point out that I dress casually 99% of the time. And I have noticed stretching on the top or bottom of my belt if it's worn in the same direction for too long.

11. jml90

jml90 Senior member

All you have to do is look at a buckle with something on it to realize they;re doing it wrong.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

as a right-sider I know it's "wrong" but it's *so* wrong that it just feels so right

13. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

Then again, because of popular convention, all the embossing could be done to conform to it - becuase they are written this way doesn't necessarily mean it is the "right" way, maybe it's just that most people do it this way.

BTW, I am a conformist.

14. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

The basis of all pointless arguments-scramble for any reason to justify your original position regardless of whether that was the reason for your original decision.

Regardless of you unfortunate heritage if it takes you several extra minutes to thread a belt, perhaps you are the retard?

15. tabasco

tabasco New Member

Sheesh, it's just brainless. I agree with the "dominant hand" theory. That and habit. I had a watch with leather strap, worn on left wrist (I'm a righty), and occasionally the strap broke requiring replacement. Sometime the watch face ME, and sometimes not. Unless I "belted" it the other way. I got used to it.

Reminds me of the bow tie question...left over right, over right over left ? It doesn't matter as long as it works.