• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beijing Bespoke, Tips?

wodelaotian

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in Beijing for a year and was thinking of taking advantage of ever shortening exchange rate margin to pick up some bespoke stuff.

This will be my first time purchase of said goods so I'm looking for any tips, suggestions, and pointers.

Searching through the forums it seems a good tailor to visit in Beijing is Senli & Frye (http://stylites.blogsource.com/). Is this the case? I'm worried that members here are partial to this tailor only because its so friendly to expats (its co-owned by an American gentleman). I'm looking for quality and expertise, and since I am fairly fluent in mandarin, language barriers are a not a major concern.

Also, in terms of style, cut, and fabrics what would you recommend for a fairly young lad? I'm 6ft, 175. After China I'll be starting a job in consulting, and while mostly business casual, there will be the occasion where a suit is necessary. Personally I'm looking for something timeless and classic, but maybe cut slightly on the trendier/younger side.

I'm thinking a charcoal pinstripe. Yay or nay? Other choices include: Navy Blue, Charcoal Gray.

That area I'm most looking for guidance is on fabrics. I think I have a good handle on cut and accents, but the whole world of fabrics make my head dizzy. Any suggestions on this area would be greatly appreciated.

(btw all my knowledge of formal wear comes from casual browsing of SF and the book Dressing the Man).

Thanks much!

To all my Beijing SF members: man its cooooollllldddddd. Hope everyone is finding a way to stay warm!

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It is indeed bloody cold.

Charcoal pinstripe is cool though some might argue, a little too severe. Navy blue and charcoal grey are the standards, I usually recommend people go with grey over blue but it's just a preference thing. They're both handy colours to match and can easily be worn separately.

Just make sure you're getting a half decent cloth, if you can afford it from a reputable English mill. I've noticed at least with shirting fabrics in China, you get what you pay for. I like things around 10 oz or less because I get really hot easily and if you're in Beijing in the summer, it is bloody hot. However, there's nothing quite as comforting as 15 oz flannel in 0 degree weather either.

wodelaotian

Reaction score
I can do both (I'm traveling to both Shanghai and HK soon), but I'm on a limited budget and only have about 300-400 to spend. Scholarship for the time being
musicboohoo[1].gif
the money comes next year.
bounce2.gif

Is Shanghai quality that much better?

Catalan Style

Reaction score
Suggest you try WW Chan in Shanghai if budget above 5000RMB. Next door is Sam's, run by same people but much less handwork and much lower price. Try them if budget is a bit tight.

Nonetheless, do as around fellow Beijingers as they will now much more than I.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Get serious. Order some 15oz worsteds and make your way to HK with them. Start with 3 suits with 2 trousers for each, 2-3 tweed coats, and some 20oz moleskins/cords.

if i was in BeiJing i would get 18oz worsted it get bloody cold up there from end of september october thru till march i might even be tempted to get 21oz to protect against the sand storms!!

and the tweeds will need to to be mega thick those BaoAn type coats a great for that kind of weather!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
if i was in BeiJing i would get 18oz worsted it get bloody cold up there from end of september october thru till march i might even be tempted to get 21oz to protect against the sand storms!!

and the tweeds will need to to be mega thick those BaoAn type coats a great for that kind of weather!

You wimp
bounce2.gif

I forgot to mention some overcoats to go with those suits and odd pieces.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You wimp
bounce2.gif

I forgot to mention some overcoats to go with those suits and odd pieces.

white guys skin is thin!
musicboohoo[1].gif

36oz melton! just right for the OC

BTW have you even been to ** city in the winter? -10c sometime with the wind chill too

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yes..... not so different from Boston or Chicago.

what midday? with the samd storms too i think i will take Boston or Chicago!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yes, North America is cleaner but just as cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads