• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you don't know at what point he aborted and used the auto pilot, which at the very end Fox was inquiring about and was told it was updated/fixed by Bruce Wayne

Damn it the audio in my theater was so ****** i missed that part!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn it the audio in my theater was so ****** i missed that part!

ha. you must've been zoned out or something too. Fox was asking people working on the Wing (which presumably is a different one since the original one was blown up) to find out what he could've done different to the auto pilot program to make it work. there was a line or two in the middle of the movie between Wayne and Fox about such program. they responded with something along the lines of "it had a firmware update blah blah blah." Fox asks who was the last user to update it. their response "Bruce Wayne"

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you don't know at what point he aborted and used the auto pilot, which at the very end Fox was inquiring about and was told it was updated/fixed by Bruce Wayne

I only heard the part about the lack of an autopilot. It raises another more general question though: why do some of these parts get written into the movie?
If the point was to have him live but make people believe he's dead, why not do it in some way which a) doesn't require the audience to hear such details among the explosions and b) doesn't make the dialogue glaringly interrupted for some minor technical detail which will have a major effect on the movie? Particular to this, why all the allusions to his death throughout the movie (which turned Alfred's character into a blubbering nincompoop) if it's all smiles and high times on the Arno at the end? I can just see the Hollywood execs scribbling the last scene in.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ha. you must've been zoned out or something too. Fox was asking people working on the Wing (which presumably is a different one since the original one was blown up) to find out what he could've done different to the auto pilot program to make it work. there was a line or two in the middle of the movie between Wayne and Fox about such program. they responded with something along the lines of "it had a firmware update blah blah blah." Fox asks who was the last user to update it. their response "Bruce Wayne"

yes but catch specifically that it was 6 months ago meaning the auto pilot was working

Gentlemen you are over thinking all of this, i felt this was a very frank miller style batman, there were elements of "the dark knight returns" and "knightfall" some plot holes but its a comic movie, it can get awy with that.

anyways even given the plot holes i am happy with it

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can we merge the Prometheus thread with this one? Pretty much all the reviews there will apply here. They had more or less the same faults (mainly plot holes, general nonsense, and cliches), although the Batman movie benefited from less horrendous dialogue and a lack of Prometheus' philosophizing.

Oh hey it's Why to **** up another thread. I feel bad if anyone is willing to watch a movie or tv show with you.
222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

Last edited:

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only heard the part about the lack of an autopilot. It raises another more general question though: why do some of these parts get written into the movie?
If the point was to have him live but make people believe he's dead, why not do it in some way which a) doesn't require the audience to hear such details among the explosions and b) doesn't make the dialogue glaringly interrupted for some minor technical detail which will have a major effect on the movie? Particular to this, why all the allusions to his death throughout the movie (which turned Alfred's character into a blubbering nincompoop) if it's all smiles and high times on the Arno at the end? I can just see the Hollywood execs scribbling the last scene in.

See, I thought the autopilot bit was a good way of establishing how he lived and also establishing that it was premeditated as a way for him to escape the batman persona. My impression was that he bailed from the vehicle using the fireball as a distraction (this was right before the Bat flew over the bridge and the orphans) because we don't see him piloting the Bat after the explosion (at least as I remember it)

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

See, I thought the autopilot bit was a good way of establishing how he lived and also establishing that it was premeditated as a way for him to escape the batman persona. My impression was that he bailed from the vehicle using the fireball as a distraction (this was right before the Bat flew over the bridge and the orphans) because we don't see him piloting the Bat after the explosion (at least as I remember it)

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a camera shot after the Bat flys over the bridge showing Batman piloting the Bat. Of course this was at almost 3 in the morning when I saw the film.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My overall impressions: (MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

1) I thought the editing done on this film was subpar. Scenes did not create a sense of cohesivness and felt very "blocky". The movie starts right up and doesn't relent, which I enjoy, but could have been what caused the scenes, at least in the first hour, to seem like they were pieced together and not bridged.

2) Banes' voice was easier to understand vs what I saw in the prologue realeased for Mission Impossible 4. However, it sounded like the lines were re-read in a high-end studio vs being recorded live, especially during the action scenes. The first fight with Batman, Bane didn't sound winded or strained while you can tell Batman was struggling with his breathing. Even if Bane is supposed to be this amazing speciman of physical prowess, there should have been some strain in the voice when talking and throwing punches at the same time.

3) I felt Nolan overused the new vehicle, the Bat. If they would have used it in the final climatic scenes, fine, but using it as an escape vehicle (twice no less) felt a bit forced. Yes, it's new. Yes, it's cool. But once introduced to the audience, it hogged more screen time than I would have liked.

4) Bane got shafted on his death. Really? At the hands of Catwoman on the Bat bike that happens to impeccably show up at the right time? Bane deserved a better death. Having Batman go over the edge and pummeling Bane to death would have been better. Since the whole ending was Bruce Wayne giving up being Batman, this would have worked, despite his no-kill rule. Batman/Bruce Wayne knows he is losing control over his anger and knows that by doing what he could never do in the past would force him out of being Batman ever again.

5) I agree with others. Alfred simply smiling and not actually showing Bruce at the cafe would have been a better ending.

6) There were a few scenes, pivotal ones, that the dialogue just fell flat. The scene where Alfred tells Bruce about the letter Rachel wrote and that he would then burn could have had more weight, but felt thrown together and the dialogue they selected was from multiple takes and pieced together.

7) Minor detail, but noticable. When Bruce Wayne visits Fox and Bruce is sitting in the leather chair with his cane, you notice in some scenes he is resting his hand on the cane, other scenes there is no hand on the cane. Normally I don't catch these things, especially on the first viewing, but the cane was front in center during these scenes.

8) Why were officers not armed during the final "war" scene where they charge towards the thugs? They went into the sewers to search for Bane and "flush him out" earlier in the film. Did the officers originally go into the sewers unarmed to flush him out? And if they went in armed, what happened to the guns while they were stuck down there on their own?

I honestly felt this film could have been the final touch on a still great trilogy, but fell just a little short. It almost feels like there should be a director's cut stored away that would have had different cuts and scene additions that is better than what finally made it to the screen.

Overall, I would recommend seeing the film, but understand that the hype built around this film could fail to reach many fans' expectations.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys are worse than the dumbasses who call into sports talk radio. the movie was fun as ****.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spoilers, bro!
Also, when your movie is a 5 week ticking nuclear time bomb story, in which logistics are arbitrary and timing is incredibly and consistently impeccable, you might as well.

If I remember right, the...

bomb was set on a timer of 5 months, not weeks. Hence Bruce has time to heal in the Uzbek prison. Also on opening day you have the explosion at Gotham Field (season starts in what, August?), and by January it's snowing heavily.

I knew about Talia being involved from reading this thread, but my dad was completely taken by surprise (he being a lifelong Batman follower) - just don't think he was anticipating anything the way they built up Bane being Ra's kid through suggestive photography and dropping pieces here and there.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

you guys are worse than the dumbasses who call into sports talk radio. the movie was fun as ****.

I was waiting for you to chime in.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That was a good nap! Ok, as opposed to wading into the nit picking of the fanboys, I'll sum up my review in a different way: I really just don't like Christopher Nolan. His writing, directing, style of movies, anything really. They all just suck. Too overdone, too many plot holes, too much to ***** out, overly and unnecessarily complex, and usually just a mess. You have to forgo any sense of style, rhythm, and in many cases reality ("The vertebrae is sticking out of the skin in your back and your spine is broken." 2 months later - Walking around with no marks on you what so ever.") You saw it in Dark Knight, the last piece of garbage Joker movie, Inception, Prestige, and now this movie. And Bale is the PERFECT actor for him, because he's so unbelievably poorly cast in the roles that you just can't help but overlook any of the other crap.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you really just call Inception garbage? Jesus man... :confused:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads