basic question about shell cordovan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchcollector2454, Dec 29, 2007.

1. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Senior member

i just recently purchased a pair of alden shell cordovan boots and i've noticed that they squeek when i walk in them. is this common? is there some way of preventing this or will it go away as i wear them more?

thanks.

2. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

My Alden shell cordovan boots squeak too. I think it is mostly just the right boot. So it's not just yours.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A pronounced squeak is a manufacturing problem. A gentle one can be caused by leather shoes not been worn for a longer time.

Try talcum powder. Sprinkle a generous amount into the shoes, then wear them. Your feet will work the powder into every nook and cranny.
    Works well for "gentle squeaks".

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Is it squeaking from the outside or the inside? Sometimes people get creaking/squeaking sounds from the leather rubbing together, especially on monkstraps. Figure out where it's coming from.

5. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Senior member

thanks for all the suggestions. i will try the talcum powder and see if that helps.

the squeek is coming from the outside because of the leather rubbing against itself. it is not major but it's kind of annoying.