• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"barnyard chic"

keys

Reaction score
Just got an invitation for some upscale charity function to take place later this month in downstate NY.

The premise of this event is a gourmet dinner paired w/ some rather fine wines followed by an auction. The festivities will take place in an old barn on an even older estate that, presumably, will be turned into something grand for a rather affluent crowd [w/ the exception of my wife and I of course]

The invite specifically states the dresscode is "cozy barn chic with practical shoes". Needless to say I am rather stymied as to what would be appropriate.

I'm thinking something along the lines of dress jeans w/ a Jantzen shirt along w/ a woven tie from someone like Ben Silver. As for practical shoes; perhaps something like one of the more casual designs from the Polo Ralph Lauren collection would suffice.

Would some of the style mavens here would be kind enough to help me decipher this dresscode?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

V-

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an invitation for some upscale charity function to take place later this month in downstate NY.

The premise of this event is a gourmet dinner paired w/ some rather fine wines followed by an auction. The festivities will take place in an old barn on an even older estate that, presumably, will be turned into something grand for a rather affluent crowd [w/ the exception of my wife and I of course]

The invite specifically states the dresscode is "cozy barn chic with practical shoes". Needless to say I am rather stymied as to what would be appropriate.

I'm thinking something along the lines of dress jeans w/ a Jantzen shirt along w/ a woven tie from someone like Ben Silver. As for practical shoes; perhaps something like one of the more casual designs from the Polo Ralph Lauren collection would suffice.

Would some of the style mavens here would be kind enough to help me decipher this dresscode?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

V-
Make sure you go with lots of browns, olives, and checks. In the words of Ernest, a 'Gentleman Farmer'.

If the above doesn't make sense, please disregard.

Seriously though, I'd go with the combo you suggested, but I might substitute flat-front slacks for the 'dress jeans'. What exactly are dress jeans?

For shoes, I would suggest something in suede (especially since it's both 'country' themed and autumn), either with a lug or a crepe sole. Maybe even some ankle boots.

dorian

Reaction score
Olive, maybe brown, corduroys, tattersall shirt possibly, sportcoat, nicely polished and constructed oxfords with a rubber sole.

That is the gentleman farmer....

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there are far more barnyards than Prada out my way. Chicks, too, but not in Prada, either. Feathers, in fact. When I'm in a barnyard or on a farm, my attire would typically be jeans, Red Wing boots (cordovan in color, actually), tee shirt or flannel depending on season, and a Western hat or a cap with a tractor company logo. Yeah, really (but at least it isn't John Deere
wink.gif
). To make that chic, hmmm... ankle boots, yes definitely, along with jeans, a nice Chambray shirt, and a jacket of some sort -- corduroy, moleskin, or perhaps, tweed? Ditch the tie, especially with the 'cozy' qualifier. It does seem awfully affected, though -- sham slumming, as it were. I'd probably turn it around on them and toss my black, single-breasted leather jacket over my actual farm attire, grab my favorite black leather cowboy hat and go. Been there, worn that. Actually looks quite good. Regards, Huntsman

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Careful about your footwear, you never know what you might be stepping in on the way to dinner.
biggrin.gif
There's a reason the horsey set wears boots. That said, what about a pir of breeks (or khaki pants tucked in) with a button-down plain dress shirt (or tattersall pattern), finished off by a superbly practical pair of rubber Wellies? Sorry, I tend to turn everything into a Shooting Party.

keys

Reaction score
Careful about your footwear, you never know what you might be stepping in on the way to dinner.

That's what worries me. I've got a nice pair of Moreschi suede oxfords that would go quite well w/ my RFPL corderouys but I can't imagine that this event could really be that farmlike. I'm thinking that the mention of "practical shoes" is more intended towards the women that will be attending; to wit they should refrain from high heels and such.

In regards to my shirt, I suspect a nice button down w/ autumnal colors could work well but is it a given that I should refran from wearing a tie of any sort? I was thinking that a solid color cotton weave *might* be appropriate.

Thanks for the suggestions so far; you guy's are great.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, you'd need a jacket if you're wearing a knit tie with, say, a flannel tattersall shirt. Maybe tweed or even a quilted jacket or vest. The English riding/hunting references from TCN and Huntsman are on the mark.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donegal tweed jacket over a Barbera style (i.e. would never be realy worn for farmwork) olive/maize/pumpkin plaid shirt (you could probably get one from Lance's www.virtualclotheshorse.com or Ian's World's Finest store for "cheap" and medium to dark brown medium to wide wale corduroy pants . Distressed leather (but expensively so) shoes - think John Varvatos. Distressed calfskin belt. No tie. Pretend you are slumming in the Tuscan coutryside or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads