• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barney's

5thave

Reaction score
What do people think of Barney's? Both as a store and as a brand? I kind of like their ties, how do other people feel? They hardly ever get mentioned here, but are a prominent figure in high-end retail.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the house label or overall merchandise offered at Barney's? Â Personally, I think the New York store does a wonderful job with their streetwear collection on either level 5 or 6. Â A little of everything... Their tailored clothing leaves a lot to be desired aside from Battistoni and Isaia. Â They stock very few pieces in the smaller sizes (36 & 38), and offer an entire floor of overpriced junk (Armani and Burberry). Â I mean why buy an Armani when a Vestimenta is sitting on the adjacent rack and priced for $3-400 less? Â This defies logic IMO. The house label is very hit or miss in regards to fit and construction. Â I bought a bunch of shirts and a few ties when I first started teaching in NYC. Â At $30/shirt, the Barney's shirts were servicable though poorly fitting. Â After 4 years, I've kept half of my Barney's shirts and added darts to improve the fit. Â When the ties get marked down to $19/each during the last weekend of the Warehouse sale they might be worth a look, but the patterns tend to be quite unimaginative. Â You're better off shopping end-of-season sales at the major department stores and sniping the random T&A, Charvet, etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this "Piatelli" Barney's suit that was pretty nice a little while back. I don't know if that's house brand or not...

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Their house brand ties are pretty good - their MTM program is terrible.

brescd01

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Vietnamese suits Carl wrote about that Barney's was going to sell under their house label?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this "Piatelli" Barney's suit that was pretty nice a little while back.  I don't know if that's house brand or not...
For several years (and still, I guess), one of my favorite suits was a Piattelli for Barney's navy with white chalkstriped suit. I've seen the Piattelli name on lesser quality items here and there, so these days I only trust it on Barney's items.

Barney's makes nice clothes that can be found very cheaply at Filene's Basement.

Lord Foppington

Reaction score
What about this Kilgour, French, & Stanbury suit from Barney's I found at a thrift store recently? It's made in USA as I recall.

So does KFS sell their name to be stuck on a line of Barney's RTW USA-made suits?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They used both Isaia and Belvest to make the Piattelli suits in years past, but the more recent stuff is not as nice.

johnw86

Reaction score
What about this Kilgour, French, & Stanbury suit from Barney's I found at a thrift store recently? It's made in USA as I recall.

So does KFS sell their name to be stuck on a line of Barney's RTW USA-made suits?
I used to have a KFS charcoal gray suit, year-round weight. It held up well for several years of regular wear. Just replaced it this year with a Brooksease.

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
Ill add my two cents about barneys. I hate the place and worked around the corner for years. Reasons in detail below, bad sales help, full prices, worse tailoring and bad advice

For an example, a while back when i knew nothing i wanted some conservative suits--and they sold me two horrid things that when i went to my tailor he told me i looked like my grandfather. When i returned them the second salesmen agreed. He was rather helpful in correcting the matter but didnt have anything in my size. The 1st salesperson is still there today.

More recently and now more educated i bought a brioni on sale. Great suit - on sale that is-- After two of thier in house tailoring attempts i was really dissatisfied. At the thrid fitting my salesperson wasnt there and when i remarked to the guy helping me that the sleeves were still uneven - he looked at me with a straight face and said "well thats your body" . I then asked him what tailors were for and took the suit to my alterations tailor.

Last month on whim i looked at shirts. Asked the salesperson for a reccomendation on trim fitting stuff. He sold me an isiai --on sale thank godness-- but it was huggggggggggggge when i got it home. I asked him about sleeve lentgh etc and he was clueless. except to say "we at barneys can tailor any shirt"

On amore positve note I did luck out with a nice battastoni shirt and matching tie last month. They fit Also over the years i have taken assorted suits to thier first floor and asked salespeople for help in matcing ties and they were very helpful. I dont see any of those people around any more. And given my last expereince have no confidence

So if you'd like to buy a full priced basstatoni which is not available anywhere else i hope you have a good eye for fit, a good local tailor and a fat wallet. Other then that it helps if your an investment banker who feels the need to spend a lot on thier mtm programs to justify you have "arrived"

In sum, Bergdorf blows barneys away --if you hit them when they have a sale its even reasonsable. for the prices at barneys why not persue this site and AA and find real tailor to bespoke a suit for you.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads