• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker Appreciation Thread - Pictures, News etc..

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Barker Orkney chukkas (...), I feel they do not fit true to size as the 10.5UK size I got is a bit long and I have to lace them really tight to avoid slippage, other shoes from Carlos Santos or Meermin seem more true to size. (...)

I have been looking the Barker Orkney chukkas that are on sale at Herringshoes but now I have doubts about sizing. Would you recommend to downsize?

I have slim feet and a low instep, with Loake 026 last I use 6,5 UK (Kempton Chukka) but with Carlos Santos 234 last my best fit is with 6 UK. In your opinion, should I go with 6 UK?

I asked this question more than a year ago but I didn't receive any answer. As Herring is having their winter sale and offering the same chukkas, I would like to know if I should go for them or simply pass again.

lexmann

Reaction score
I asked this question more than a year ago but I didn't receive any answer. As Herring is having their winter sale and offering the same chukkas, I would like to know if I should go for them or simply pass again.
I suggest you to email Herring. They respond pretty quick.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you to email Herring. They respond pretty quick.
Thank you for your suggestion, I have already emailed them as well as other Barker's retailers such as Pediwear, but their answers contradict one another: Herring recommend to downsize, Pediwear says that it isn't necessary and that I should keep the same Loake 026 last size. This is why I decided to ask users which have tried both Barker 464 and Loake 026 lasts to solve my doubts.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy 2 sizes and return the one that doesn't fit properly. Then you can find out yourself. That's what I do when I'm not sure which size to go for.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy 2 sizes and return the one that doesn't fit properly. Then you can find out yourself. That's what I do when I'm not sure which size to go for.
As they are on sale, there is just one size left: it’s a matter of take it or leave it...

rakuskus

Reaction score
IMG_4923.JPG
IMG_4921.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG

Barker handcrafted collection cut in half

leparrain7

Reaction score
hi, it's weird..i bought the same ones in brown almost a year ago, the leather is good, the dye is beautiful and the build quality is there ... I love them
187D2F0D-23CD-4ACC-AC82-CC457B10BF8D.jpeg
EA72BFC1-E11B-41D3-8AF2-75C8DA9B0403.jpeg
08A86FFF-492E-450A-A140-CD3D6505E838.jpeg

Last edited:

BlkCfvy

Reaction score
I’m posting because I’m curious. I bought a pair of Barker Woodys for quite cheap. My love of odd sneakers is bleeding into my shoe and boot collection. I was attracted by the wealth of styles and combinations of patterns at the price point. Barker seems to be quite a polarizing brand, a phenomenon that plagues every enthusiast forum. For my particular pair I’ll judge their build when they arrive.

What I’m most interested in is ease of maintenance. Has anyone had any trouble having a pair resoled or any damage to the factory finish when cleaning or shining? Has anything raised any serious red flags throughout any of the lines, not just pertaining to the Creative Collection.
A5C1B835-7125-4EA2-91C2-3F4A3B4D06AB.jpeg

Braid

Reaction score
I’m posting because I’m curious. I bought a pair of Barker Woodys for quite cheap. My love of odd sneakers is bleeding into my shoe and boot collection. I was attracted by the wealth of styles and combinations of patterns at the price point. Barker seems to be quite a polarizing brand, a phenomenon that plagues every enthusiast forum. For my particular pair I’ll judge their build when they arrive.

What I’m most interested in is ease of maintenance. Has anyone had any trouble having a pair resoled or any damage to the factory finish when cleaning or shining? Has anything raised any serious red flags throughout any of the lines, not just pertaining to the Creative Collection. View attachment 1365829
I agree Barker shoes are easy maintenance, meaning that they are very sturdy and most of the time with just a brush they are good to go.

I noticed that when they need cream the leather is not as absorbent as other brands and it is more difficult to achieve burnishing/patina.

Evergreen88

Reaction score

What I’m most interested in is ease of maintenance. Has anyone had any trouble having a pair resoled or any damage to the factory finish when cleaning or shining? Has anything raised any serious red flags throughout any of the lines, not just pertaining to the Creative Collection. View attachment 1365829
I have a pair from the creative collection:
IMG_20200226_073213.jpg

They are 2 years old now and I haven't resoled them, so can't judge on that. As braid said, I find them very sturdy, with little creasing and in general very reliable. Contrary to braid I also find them quite easy to cream, polish and shine.

The leather quality is ok, does not compare with higher end brands such as CJ but that comes with the price.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring Shoes has a sale of Barker factory seconds now.
Might be worth a look: discounts up to 50% !!!

Love Herring Shoes, they need more love on SF. Great prices, absolutely phenomenal service and shipping speeds. I suppose if they were to expand their collection of brand offerings or partner with other higher tier shoemakers (instead of only Cheaney / Barker / Alfred Sargent) to produce their private collection (think, C&J, EG, etc.) they'd get more attention. Pediwear great too.

leparrain7

Reaction score

At Barker there are several qualities depending on the category of the shoe (handmade, creative ... etc) it is generally from 300€ at the open price.

I have a pair from the creative collection:
View attachment 1365892

They are 2 years old now and I haven't resoled them, so can't judge on that. As braid said, I find them very sturdy, with little creasing and in general very reliable. Contrary to braid I also find them quite easy to cream, polish and shine.

The leather quality is ok, does not compare with higher end brands such as CJ but that comes with the price.
yes absolutely, from my experience I find that they make very good shoes, they are below certain high-end brands like C&J or Trickers, but I find that they are undervalued, I do not know if it 'is related to their low-end shoes made in India.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads