• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barcelona

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
So I will go to Barcelona next month.

What do I see and do there? I will have about four days.

Are there any forum members there that would like to meet up? Show me around? Forever win the good graces of the easily corrupted moder@tion team...

Where should I stay? What area? Can anyone recommend me a cheap hotel? Euro has gone crazy, so dont want to blow too much on sleeping...

Any suggestions/tips welcomed.

Matt

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm the first time I went to Bracelona I stayed at the Kabul on a little plaza off of Las Ramblas.

Errrr, but we were an 18 year old students backpacking through Europe and thought that the greatest thing about Kabul's was that they had a beer vending machine by the pool tables. We didnt care about sleeping in dorm rooms because I dont think we actually went to sleep in Barcelona.

Not much help, but it brings back fond memories

K

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The missus and I went to Barcelona for our Honeymoon--fall '06. It's a great city.

We stayed at the Hotel Majestic on Passeig de Gracia, one of the main boulevards in town (it has a lot of high-end boutiques). There is a metro stop 2 blocks away (we took the train from the airport straight there). La Padrera was about 1.5 blocks in one direction, La Manzana de la Discordia 1.5 the other. La Padrera is a Gaudi-designed home. La M dl D is a row of modernisme houses designed by Gaudi and a couple others--all wildly different designs.

We could also walk to La Sagrada Familia, his great cathedral that is still under construction, some 120 years later. It's spectacular.

The hotel was nice. We got a good deal through Orbitz (or maybe one of the other sites), but I think it's normally pretty pricey. It's in the middle of Eixample neighborhood (edge of the Eixample Dreta). I think I would try to stay closer to the water next time. Or a much cheaper place in Eixample. Or even better, rent an apartment if staying a week or longer.

I think seeing Park Guell is a must. Going by way of the front entrance gives you quick access to amazing sights. (I only say that because our bus dropped us at what turned out to be a side entrance.)

If you're into food, there are plenty of restaurants and the great La Boqueria foot market off Las Ramblas. And one Friday night we ran into a little market with cheese and chocolate and other things somewhere in the gothic quarter, I think it was. There are restaurants everywhere. I'm afraid I can't recommend any one. I'm not expert. But the fixed price lunch most offer is a great deal.

Have a good time.

b

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go see a FC Barcelona game?

I went and did all the typical touristy things. That one strip of road with the street performers, went to see live flamenco, etc. I loved it. Barcelona was my favorite city during my vacation in Europe.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
First time you go there you have to do the touristy stuff:

Parc Güell
Sagrada familia
Montjuïc (Miro museum, Mies pavilion and other assorted niceties)
Picasso museum
La Ciutadella with the big arch

Try to live near the Plaça Catalunya, which is pretty happening and makes it easy to go everywhere. Don't forget to talk a leisurely stroll in the port on a sunny day. Speaking Spanish might be useful, especially if you like to go out and meet people.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Speaking Spanish might be useful, especially if you like to go out and meet people.

Also, remember that in Spain, tortilla means omelet. This is important.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I used to live there and often go back for work but I don't think I'll be around next month. If I am, I'd be happy to meet up for drinks or whatever. As with all things on this forum, 'cheap' varies widely. If you give me a more specific idea, I'd be happy to recommend a hotel/hostel. Also, besides all the touristy ideas (and I +1 all the suggestions here), what kind of stuff do you like doing? For me, you can't go to Barcelona without drinking a bottle of cava and getting a sausage sandwich at Can Paixano. It's overcrowded, filthy, and wonderful. I also think taking one day to take the train up to Figueres to see the Dali museum is well worth the trip. This is better than a normal guidebook and pretty fun to read before/after you go as well: http://lecool.com/book/index.html Honestly, don't worry about your Spanish. Lots of people speak English, and you're just as likely to get an earful about the virtues of Catalan if you speak Castellano anyway.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hey there, thanks for the responses all. Idler - I'd be happy somewhere in the $80-100 range, which I guess at current rates is ~50-80 euro. I dont need much, and will be alone. That doable? Do let me know if you will be around at that time (16-20 is looking likely), and I am a big fan of street food wherever I can find it, so I am all for the sandwich thing
smile.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Honestly, don't worry about your Spanish. Lots of people speak English, and you're just as likely to get an earful about the virtues of Catalan if you speak Castellano anyway.

I was at Barcelona earlier this year and I wished that I was a Mexican so I can communicate with them. Even airport staff have trouble understanding English.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Oh, and I couldn't find any guide on love for sale.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey M@t,

It's tough--you're just getting hammered by the dollar right now. I can think of two places which might work:

Gat Xino, which is a hostel near the MACBA, the modern art museum, is cheap and OK. A couple different friends have stayed there, most said it was great--clean and all that--but one said it was horrible. It's also not in the greatest part of town, so the area looks/feels a bit dicey at night, but I really don't think you'd have anything to worry about. Some good bars nearby, and you're minutes from the Rambla and Plaza Catalunya.

The Banys Orientals is a step up, but it's really a good value. EDIT: I just checked their website: http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/index.html and I guess it's 83euros a night for a single--might be too much for you. But it's a nice place and in a great neighborhood, the Born, which is worth checking out even if you don't stay there. It's kind of between the Picasso Museum and the sea--look for the Santa Maria del Mar church on a map.

Spain isn't too big on street food--they seem to prefer spending hours sitting around and eating--but you might also want to check out the Bar Pinotxo in the Boqueria market.

I will let you know if I'm around, and I'll probably post more ideas as they come to me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
have fun. eat ham.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hey there, thanks for the responses all.

Idler - I'd be happy somewhere in the $80-100 range, which I guess at current rates is ~50-80 euro. I dont need much, and will be alone. That doable?

Ooh... that's 50 -60 euro now...
frown.gif

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to go for the Sonar festival. One year I got really bad food poisoning from a famous tapas bar. Stick to the ham, avoid the shellfish!

edit: I should add that it has almost as many bars as Chicago, which means every third door not second is a place to drink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads