• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barcelona

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I used to go for the Sonar festival. One year I got really bad food poisoning from a famous tapas bar. Stick to the ham, avoid the shellfish!

edit: I should add that it has almost as many bars as Chicago, which means every third door not second is a place to drink.

I want to get to Sonar one of these days!!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I rented a tourist apartment in Barcelona a few years back and it really worked out great. If you stay in the Las Ramblas / Barri Gothic neighborhood, then you can hit the Boqueria (semi-outdoor market) and pick up all kinds of fresh food to make in your own kitchen.

I used this service: http://www.bcninternet.com/

They've got quite a bit in your price range. You're going to have an awesome time!

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
I rented a tourist apartment in Barcelona a few years back and it really worked out great. If you stay in the Las Ramblas / Barri Gothic neighborhood, then you can hit the Boqueria (semi-outdoor market) and pick up all kinds of fresh food to make in your own kitchen. I used this service: http://www.bcninternet.com/ They've got quite a bit in your price range. You're going to have an awesome time!
+1 on the tourist apartment. Used a tourist apartment in Madiera, Portugal a few years earlier and it was ideal. Prepared great local food stuff for breakfast and lunch, ate out for dinner. Stayed at a hotel off of Las Ramblas when I was in Barcelona, in 2005. Close to the water (you can see Christopher Columbus pointing the wrong way from the street). Hit all of the tourist stuff and all of the Gaudi you can bear, it'll be worth it. Loved the Miro Museum and La Sacarda Familia is stunning. Drinking's cheap. Have a ball.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link Epaulet. Anyone have something similar for Brussels?

b

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Ummm the first time I went to Bracelona I stayed at the Kabul on a little plaza off of Las Ramblas.

Errrr, but we were an 18 year old students backpacking through Europe and thought that the greatest thing about Kabul's was that they had a beer vending machine by the pool tables. We didnt care about sleeping in dorm rooms because I dont think we actually went to sleep in Barcelona.

Not much help, but it brings back fond memories

K

Holy ****, stayed in the same ho(s)tel in 2000 or so. Clearly remember the beer vending machine. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think it sold Dam beer.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went there two years ago in mid May and it was a great time to go. I also spent about 3-4 days in Barcelona and another 3-4 days dirving up and down La Costa Brava.

In Barcelona, Parque Guell and El Barrio Gotico (Gothic quarter) were my favorite parts. Don't spend much time trekking las Ramblas - it's touristy and just not much there. We stayed in Condes Barcelona right on Passeig de Gracia and loved it. Public metro is easy to use and had a great time.

Have fun!

zupermaus

Reaction score
ok enjoy above all the city, and its funkiness You got the planned out city and the worlds largest cathedral 100 years still in the making:
barcelona1.jpg
grid.jpg
and you got one of the densest areas in the world, the medieval city
barcelona.jpg
barcelona_macba_aerial.400sharp.jpg
and do look out for the art grafitti too but above all what is best is not built, its streetlife. One thing to do in this city, pick a direction and get lost, then retire in one of 20,000 bars (by comparison NYC has 5000). The other thing to do here is definitely visit one of the parks for respite, preferably a hilltop/ cable car one with views:
barcelona_barri_gotic_carrer-montcada_02.jpg
Barcelona_579_18397461_0_0_9934_300.jpg
425377.JPG
gotic01.jpg

zupermaus

Reaction score
no, Im a traveller. When I was there there were some good hostels in gorgeous art nouveau/ art deco buildings off Las Ramblas - the south side nearer the port. However Ive heard the seediness has been cleaned up now so I doubt theyll be as cheap. They were beautiful and clean, but the rooms were dark, centred around a bright covered courtyard. Ask to see your room before you take it, feel free to haggle as its out of tourist season. Either that, or buy a guidebook and check out their listings on the web before you book. The best Guidebooks for just about everything are British ones, Rough Guide and Footprint with the most listings and comprehensive coverage (I worked in the book trade for years). Rough Guide can be quite critical but is accessible and comprehensive, Footprint is vastly comprehensive but a bit like homework - just facts facts facts and few opinions (which is its appeal). If you're a bright young thing then Time Out Barcelona Guide is your man. One thing ill always regret is not going here: Montjuic park that overlooks the city
2408668_4caa241097.jpg
montjuicfoto.jpg
Thus I can't reccommend it as Ive never been there, but Ive heard its a break from the density of the city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads