• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banking Interview - Which Tie?

Trader George

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this question is posted a lot, but I'm stuck here. I'm 23 years old and most of my money has come from personal investments. I've never worked an actual job in my life, but I've got a few banking interviews set up this week and I'm stuck. (That's correct; I've never had a job interview in my life).

I'll be wearing a navy suit and a white shirt. I've narrowed down to these three ties:

Also, what socks would be best suited for a navy suit with black shoes?

Thanks in advance.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be wearing a navy suit and a white shirt. I've narrowed down to these three ties:

Thanks in advance.

My choice would be one of the two on the right. And navy socks.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Navy socks. Socks match the pants. Pick the most boring tie when looking at it together. My guess is that willl be #1 or #3 depending on the sheen.

NewStart

Reaction score
I would avoid the red ones as they look a bit agressive, but the middle one looked too flashy

JDMills

Reaction score
Working in banking myself, I would say the red on the right as long as there isn't too much of a sheen. Its the most pleasing.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal gray socks would be fine, too. The socks don't have to match the pants. I don't think it will really matter which of those ties you choose. As a matter of personal taste, I don't like any of them, but they will be fine for this interview.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I don't necessarily agree. A rust brown conservatively patterned tie with a light blue shirt and navy suit looks very sharp.  

We're not talking about if something looks good. We're talking about what should be worn to an interview at a (presumably) conservative environment.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're not talking about if something looks good. We're talking about what should be worn to an interview at a (presumably) conservative environment.

what should be worn is a tie that is not garish

any specificity beyond that is for internet-dressers to obsess about, as if 90% of folks outside the tumbler-dress'osphere gives more than a passing thought about it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
what should be worn is a tie that is not garish

any specificity beyond that is for internet-dressers to obsess about, as if 90% of folks outside the tumbler-dress'osphere gives more than a passing thought about it.

I don't know why this topic comes up so much, and people continue to argue about it. The collective wisdom on any career website or from any career center at a college is: blue or grey suit, white shirt, blue or red tie, black shoes and belt.

It isn't about internet-dressers or whatevers, it is about finding something that people don't find offensive or distracting.

If someone came in wearing a brown tie for an interview, I would immediately wonder why.

Last edited:

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Would brown medium brown grenadine work for a law firm interview? Navy suit, light blue shirt, black AE Fifth Avenues.

http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-g...rk-chocolate-grenadine-grossa-silk-tie-5.html

It's a new tie and I wonder if I should wear it for the interview.

I do reckon it's fine – I myself have worn brown grenadines for interviews. That said, perhaps a fina weave might be more appropriate by virtue of being less coarsely textured and therefore less distracting to the panel.

The way I see it, those who actively notice your wearing a brown tie tend to be more sartorially minded and, given that it is employed tastefully in the rest of your ensemble, would probably appreciate the thought that went into your dressing; for those who don't notice, a tie is a tie is a tie, as long as it isn't overtly cartoonish or garish.

Hey guys,

Sorry if this question is posted a lot, but I'm stuck here. I'm 23 years old and most of my money has come from personal investments. I've never worked an actual job in my life, but I've got a few banking interviews set up this week and I'm stuck. (That's correct; I've never had a job interview in my life).

Thanks in advance.

To the OP, I would say the right most tie, but I'm hoping it has less sheen in real life. Dark grey socks would be great, if not, navy.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't about internet-dressers or whatevers, it is about finding something that people don't find offensive or distracting.

If someone came in wearing a brown tie for an interview, I would immediately wonder why.

I can't speak for everyone who interviews young attorneys. I can only say I would not find a dark brown solid grenadine either "offensive or distracting." If someone looks as if they've made a decent effort to make themselves presentable, to the extent I'd think about it at all, it would be a "positive." The other 99 and 44/100's of my attention would be on academic and professional background, skill set, ability to fit in the firm dynamic, etc.

I agree one should avoid distractions with the idea of having an interviewer focus on you and not on what you're wearing. I merely happen to think there's nothing about a solid brown tie that's going to detract from an interview.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone who interviews young attorneys. I can only say I would not find a dark brown solid grenadine either "offensive or distracting." If someone looks as if they've made a decent effort to make themselves presentable, to the extent I'd think about it at all, it would be a "positive." The other 99 and 44/100's of my attention would be on academic and professional background, skill set, ability to fit in the firm dynamic, etc.

I agree one should avoid distractions with the idea of having an interviewer focus on you and not on what you're wearing. I merely happen to think there's nothing about a solid brown tie that's going to detract from an interview.

I think brown lacks formality for an interview, and I know some people who really hate the color brown. Do what you want. I wear a linen white pocket square when I interview, but I wouldn't wear a brown tie to an interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads