1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Banking Interview - Which Tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Trader George, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

In this situation, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

2. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Ugh, I regret asking. I have a navy gross grenadine tie from Kent Wang that I can wear. But, navy suit, light blue shirt, and a navy tie. It's too much blue, which is why I brought up the dark chocolate Sam Hober grenadine.

I'm just going to use a burgundy tie from the Tie Bar to complete the outfit.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

I read your point(s). Unfortunately they are not grounded in reality.

Cool, people you know really hate the brown color.

When most people posting on this forum can't outfit themselves in a proper manner, on what basis do you trust the "typical" person to pass judgement on what is and isn't "formal."

"Career websites" instruct students to wear white shirts so Billy won't show up with a neon tie on black shirt for his First Interview.

I interview candidates into my group but never scrutinize the length of their exposed cuffs or grade them based on the ability to distinguish balmorals from bluchers.

It's good practice to exercise common sense sometimes. Or, you could just take blanket "career website" rules at face value.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Srsly, if you think it was your brown tie that turned a 'yes' into a 'no', it was actually a 'no' before you even walked through the door.

5. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Sound like you've had a nice life so far. Keep it up.

I'm afraid I don't fancy these ties, but the middle is the least worst. If you've got them, navy socks would be better.

6. AriG

AriG Senior member

The blue tie is actually the worst, and particularly against a navy suit. Just stick with the solid from that selection. Oh, and get new ties.

7. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

I second that.

BTW, Could Trader George report on how the interview went ...

8. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Hi guys, I'm sorry for my absence. I'd like to thank all of you for the responses.

In regards to the posts saying the tie won't get me hired: I completely agree after actually going through the interview.

On the plus side, I got the job anyway, but I am 100% convinced the tie helped me in no way possible.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the responses and I'm sorry I'm just replying now.

Thanks,

George

10. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Congrat George, well done!

11. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

Which did you wear to interview?

12. OverlyBullish

OverlyBullish Member

I believe this time of the year is when the U.S. are doing their accelerated recruiting for banks? If so, congrats OP - great achievement.

Even though the OP has already secured the gig, I'd still like to say that you should go for a muted colour and pattern when interviewing for a banking role. There's unspoken rules in banking about how interns and first year analysts shouldn't attempt to out-dress the associates, VPs, MDs, etc. by wearing cutaway collars/French cuffs/grenadine ties - you'll stand out (in a bad way) and become the butt of every joke in the office.

In regards to socks, no one's going to pay any attention to your socks unless they're purposely flamboyant (pink, for example).

13. Marco85

Marco85 Member

I d disagree with that. Worked in london in a bulge bracket firm. Was ok for intern to come dress good (cufflinks very common, cutaway collars as well and fancy ties). I read it also somewhere else of this "unspoken" rules but really never seen it in reality. Actually the opposite, you should avoid dirt cheap clothes, especially for ties.

I interview and if you are wearing a nice tie it's a plus :D :D (joke but i do appreciate). Flashy socks? A minus (no joke).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  14. OverlyBullish

OverlyBullish Member

I think the tradition of summer analysts/1st year analysts being scrutinised for their fashion come mainly from the U.S. - I made that post before my own banking internship and realised the rules were more relaxed (at least in Australia).

15. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Navy tie or the most solid red. Avoid colorful socks please.

1 person likes this.