Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Banking Interview - Which Tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Trader George, Oct 19, 2015.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

It is neither but in the cases it gets noticed by the interviewers, the results could be polarizing - either they like it or they don't. That creates another unnecessary data point for their decision making progress that could potentially ruin an otherwise good outcome.

In my opinion, it is better to remove and reduce attributes that risk diverting interviewers' attention away from work competency and personality.

p.s., navy suit, white shirt, with shiny solid red tie looks like you are going for an presidential debate.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

2. AriG

AriG Senior member

Near 100% sure a brown tie is never going to sway a yes into a no with regard to hiring someone (seriously). I mean come on. If so, it's probably not going to work out regardless.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

first we take sides over a tie, now we defer to the authority of .... a career website :foo:

so, what says the campus career advisor on the shade of grey? is birds eye or sharkskin okay - they give the impression of solid grey from a distance.
    can the shoes be short or long-wings, or must they be balmorals? ive only got leather soles on chelsea boots (maybe too ostentatious), and dainite on cap toes, better shop for these perfect Interview Shoes then

dressing well -- which in itself opens an oildrum of worm -- impresses upon the general pubic that one has good taste and is meticulous about ones dress. when this audience judges whether one is "in a sharp suit", they havent a clue whether it is due to the lapel roll or its right-sized width or if the gorge height is contemporary with Styleforum Consensus.

guarantee they wont even remember if that person had 3 or 2 buttons on their suit (much less whether the 3 is rolled into the 2).

youre either dressed well, or you arent. any notice beyond that is the domain of the clotheshorse. should you chance into an interview with the latter, you wouldnt really want to work for a 45 year old banker who takes selfies daily in the office restroom, would you?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

4. suited

suited Senior member

I wouldn't want to work for someone that found a brown tie offensive or distracting.

If that's the case (and I sincerely doubt it is), wear the brown tie so you don't end making a decision you might regret in terms of who your boss is.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I don't know why I continue to waste my time responding, but you clearly don't get the point of my responses.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

In this situation, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

7. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Ugh, I regret asking. I have a navy gross grenadine tie from Kent Wang that I can wear. But, navy suit, light blue shirt, and a navy tie. It's too much blue, which is why I brought up the dark chocolate Sam Hober grenadine.

I'm just going to use a burgundy tie from the Tie Bar to complete the outfit.

8. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

I read your point(s). Unfortunately they are not grounded in reality.

Cool, people you know really hate the brown color.

When most people posting on this forum can't outfit themselves in a proper manner, on what basis do you trust the "typical" person to pass judgement on what is and isn't "formal."

"Career websites" instruct students to wear white shirts so Billy won't show up with a neon tie on black shirt for his First Interview.

I interview candidates into my group but never scrutinize the length of their exposed cuffs or grade them based on the ability to distinguish balmorals from bluchers.

It's good practice to exercise common sense sometimes. Or, you could just take blanket "career website" rules at face value.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Srsly, if you think it was your brown tie that turned a 'yes' into a 'no', it was actually a 'no' before you even walked through the door.

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Sound like you've had a nice life so far. Keep it up.

I'm afraid I don't fancy these ties, but the middle is the least worst. If you've got them, navy socks would be better.

11. AriG

AriG Senior member

The blue tie is actually the worst, and particularly against a navy suit. Just stick with the solid from that selection. Oh, and get new ties.

12. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

I second that.

BTW, Could Trader George report on how the interview went ...

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

14. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Hi guys, I'm sorry for my absence. I'd like to thank all of you for the responses.

In regards to the posts saying the tie won't get me hired: I completely agree after actually going through the interview.

On the plus side, I got the job anyway, but I am 100% convinced the tie helped me in no way possible.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the responses and I'm sorry I'm just replying now.

Thanks,

George

15. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Congrat George, well done!