• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
How did these pass by so quickly without more information. The photo shows NEW boots. These can't be NOS, can they?

Does AE do special orders of bal boots?

While not as incredible as many of these examples here, they must be among the most reasonably priced, yes?

What was the model name of this boot, and, if anyone knows, which last is it on?

Thanks.

I just picked up a pair of these in black on ebay. Look to be in decent shape, but if nothing else I can send them in for recrafting.

I almost never wear black shoes, but they looked too good to pass up.

I'll post pix when I get them.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This picture is courtesy of Vass by way of Gabor Halmos

I'm considering this boot in Oxblood Cordovan but with a U tip apron to go along with the U last shape

What are your thoughts on the U tip front?

vassoxfordboots4.jpg

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
This picture is courtesy of Vass by way of Gabor Halmos

I'm considering this boot in Oxblood Cordovan but with a U tip apron to go along with the U last shape

What are your thoughts on the U tip front?

vassoxfordboots4.jpg

I quite like the bottom part of it, but think it looks slightly off because it's a little on the short side. It needs at least 3 more lace holes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like U-tips. YMMV.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already have Ron Rider making me a special ankle balmoral boot with a wing tip design

But the Vass design is a bit different than Rider's

Now that I have 2 high boots (the G&G Wigmore and G&G Canterbury), and an Alden ankle boot via their Norwegian Split Toe tanker boot, I prefer the comfort of the ankle boot and hope Rider's design comes out great

Still debating whether to try the U tip on the U last based on the above design....open to suggestions but Vass does make the U tip design look so good on other shoes

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can the same man who wants faux-laces on everything also want bal boots?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
On a (semi) related note, does anyone know where a good pair of balmoral boots can be had for less than £395? A quick enquiry to Trickers about their boot revealed that it is MTO only for that price. This is also (IIRC) the price for the Avebury from Fosters.

I am aware of the Grenson balmoral for £260 (and I am considering them), but it's available only in black and I wonder about the quality relative to C&J/Trickers. Is anyone in a position to compare them?

Geoff

Despot

Reaction score
I bet Sherlock Holmes wore boots/shoes just like those. Pretty classy but the fact that they are tall suggests they might be good for kicking throats too.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I don't like U-tips. YMMV.
You just don't like me.
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
On a (semi) related note, does anyone know where a good pair of balmoral boots can be had for less than £395? A quick enquiry to Trickers about their boot revealed that it is MTO only for that price. This is also (IIRC) the price for the Avebury from Fosters.
Why not look at Trickers' ebay outlet? They seem to have boots pretty frequently.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
How can the same man who wants faux-laces on everything also want bal boots?

I don't have the funds to invest in G&G bespoke in the near future, but rest assured one day you will see a Frankenstein balmoral boot sporting faux lacing
inlove.gif

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I don't have the funds to invest in G&G bespoke in the near future, but rest assured one day you will see a Frankenstein balmoral boot sporting faux lacing
inlove.gif

Michael, are those boots Gabor told you about a new model by Vass? The only boots I have seen them do on the U last are either chukka boots or at least have open lacing. These are very nice. What is the style name? Thanks.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander

I am aware of the Grenson balmoral for £260 (and I am considering them), but it's available only in black and I wonder about the quality relative to C&J/Trickers. Is anyone in a position to compare them?

Geoff

I'm not sure if the comparison is germane, but when I was in the market for a country boot and couldn't decide between the Tricker's or the Grenson, I asked the Pediwear people for their subjective opinion. Their response was that, basically, the Grenson's leather was a bit better and had a better finish on it. I went with the Ilkley and was happy.

As noted, however, I'm not sure if the comparing country boots can be ported over to the comparison of bal boots.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R, Vass doesn't assign a name to that ankle boot....and unfortunatley for Grimslade and RJMan, Vass doesn't do imitation/faux lacing
frown.gif

I asked Gabor for a balmoral boot....he mentioned this ankle boot...although I would not classify it as an oxford balmoral boot

I don't think Vass has a classic balmoral boot like the EG Shannon with an angled balmoral line...this is their Eastern Promises alternative...I like it and will purchase it in the near future once I get an Old English 2 on the U last

I do like it and Vass' willingness to work with cordovan is even more exciting....consider the upcharge because its a boot...upcharge for cordovan...upcharge for the U last....fortunatley no upcharge for a slight design modification such as a V or U tip front....it gets a bit pricey

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ron Rider made my heart flutter with this special for me. Its a Shell#8 cordovan ankle balmoral wing tip boot. Uses the same soft squared last as his new Shannon killer high boots

Rideranklebalmoralwingtipboot3.jpg

Rideranklebalmoralwingtipboot2.jpg

Rideranklebalmoralwingtipboot1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads