• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Badly scuffed C&J loafers - fixable?

jrigg

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
So I have one pair of nice Polo loafers, purportedly C&J made. Got them on ebay, so who knows, maybe they're not even Polo, let alone C&J, but they look and feel high(ish) end. Couldn't afford them new, so ebay was my only option. This morning I stepped up onto a curb and my toe caught the curb. Looked down and saw to my dismay a white triangle where brown leather used to be. About 1/4 inches per side. Is this at all fixable? Or is this pair doomed?

Any thoughts appreciated.
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
28
Originally Posted by jrigg
So I have one pair of nice Polo loafers, purportedly C&J made. Got them on ebay, so who knows, maybe they're not even Polo, let alone C&J, but they look and feel high(ish) end. Couldn't afford them new, so ebay was my only option. This morning I stepped up onto a curb and my toe caught the curb. Looked down and saw to my dismay a white triangle where brown leather used to be. About 1/4 inches per side. Is this at all fixable? Or is this pair doomed?

Any thoughts appreciated.


You'd really have to post a pic. But almost certainly fixable, depending on what your definition of "fixed" is.
 

jrigg

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Thanks. I'll post a picture tonight. By fixed I just mean they'll look nice and wearable, and not like someone's only pair of nice shoes that he's obviously trying too hard to hold onto despite the damage.

Would you trust a well-thought-of shoe repair guy in a smallish town? (I recognize the answer will depend on your view of the actual damage once I post a picture, and I know you don't know my shoe guy, so I guess the question basically is whether this is a run of the mill fix, or something more sophisticated... as you can probably tell, I'm just getting into owning - or aspiring to own - shoes that are nice enough that fixing is an option as opposed to just replacing)
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
54
cute story. but how can you not even be sure they are Polo?
 

jrigg

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
cute story. but how can you not even be sure they are Polo?

Just being cynical about buying from strangers over internet. Picture of scuff (that may be putting it too lightly) below.

 

HPress

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by jrigg
Just being cynical about buying from strangers over internet. Picture of scuff (that may be putting it too lightly) below.



Totally fixable. Take it to your cobbler and he'll do it in 5 minutes.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,642
Messages
9,454,728
Members
198,152
Latest member
ja55mon
Top