• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpack like this?

epb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a back pack to wear while on my motorcycles (typically my '78 CB400). What I'd like is something like the Hamarhead Industries Day Pack:

but it's a 2-month wait when you order one. Does anyone know of something similar in function and looks that can be bought off the shelf. What I like about the HHI pack is it's got a large open compartment so you can carry a variety of things, rather than just flat rectangles, the fold-over flap for keeping things dry. It's basically a sack, which is more simple/versatile than most motorcycle packs I'm seeing. I've looked into having something similar made - pretty much the same wait time. Any ideas?

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score
Pretty close, thanks. I also tracked down the Bonobos from Blue Lounge:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that. I have a lot of trouble picturing how large something actually is from web descriptions though.

I have this backpack that I have had since the late 90's that's on its last legs. Surprisingly, it was bought at the Gap...but it has survived middle school, camping, bike commuting, heavy loads, and a month of backpacking through europe with only one section that needed repairs. Unfortunately, the water resistant lining has entirely disintegrated (I carry a plastic bag just in case on my commute) and there are other areas that are probably ready to give way.

The thing is...its HUGE. But its really just one big compartment with two small side pockets (the bottom of the compartment has a divider that can be closed and a separate access zipper, but it can just be one huge pack). Whenever I try to find similar packs, they always have tons of compartments and laptop sleeves and pen organizers and 15 pockets...that all makes it impossible when you need to fit one big-ass item into the pack.

That bluelounge one is nice...but then they go and put on both a 17" macbook and an ipad slot. They don't take up that much space...but seriously? How many people need the 17" macbook and the ipad at the same time. Why not just put the ipad in a sleeve in one of those two other ipad sized pockets that are accessable without opening the whole pack?

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score

That bluelounge one is nice...but then they go and put on both a 17" macbook and an ipad slot. They don't take up that much space...but seriously? How many people need the 17" macbook and the ipad at the same time. Why not just put the ipad in a sleeve in one of those two other ipad sized pockets that are accessable without opening the whole pack?

The original pack I posted - Hammarhead Industries Day Pack - is the same; it will hold a 15" laptop and iPad. The designs are so similar I'd think one company borrowed from the other, almost. A laptop pocket seems to be the way of the world now. Fortunately, they don't take too much space from the main compartment.

Like you, I want a bag with a large central space that will hold anything, rather than a ton of compartments for various specific things. Most riders don't like backpacks, but with multiple bikes I prefer being able to carry stuff regardless of what I'm riding, and that stuff goes with me when I get off the bike.

I wound up going with the Bonobo from Blue Lounge, but Chrome's Bravo was my 2nd choice.

epb

Reaction score

I wound up going with the Bonobo from Blue Lounge, but Chrome's Bravo was my 2nd choice.

Got the Bonobo from Blue Lounge today (kept missing the darned UPS guy - but not really, iykwim). I'm very pleased with it. It easily holds enough clothes for 2-3 days - including a pair of shoes - or a shopping bag's worth of groceries including a case of soda/beer, but when empty doesn't have a huge profile. As mentioned upthread, it does have the modern curse of too many compartments, but I have to give them credit for the fact none of them intrude on the main compartment when in use, nor cause it to be divided up. Padding on the carry straps seems adequate for comfort and they don't sit on the pads in my Scorpion jacket which would make for an awkward fit. Bonus - the front carabiner is handy for carrying my helmet hands-free - if a bit ungainly.

Minor niggles: I wish the side buckles for adjusting the pack's snugness were aluminum like the rest of the hardware just for design consistency, and I wish the base was leather like the HHI Day Pack to make clean up easier when I set it on the ground.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is kind of cool. The styling comes off pretty aggressive though.
http://missionworkshop.com/products/arkiv-system-bags/configure-your-field-pack.php

And then you pick and choose which pockets and accessories you want to include:

Seems like the large would be a great size, and you can choose exactly the kind of pockets you want. You can even mount small pockets on top of large pockets.
Only problem is it gets pretty damn pricey. The pockets and accessories are not cheap...$50 for each side pocket, more for the larger pockets.

Don't know how hard it is to swap pockets on and off, but it would be cool if I could keep my bicycle bits (tools/pump/tube/mini u-lock/etc) in one "tool pocket" and swap it on and off depending on whether I am on the bicycle or the motorcycle. Right now I have to dump a bunch of junk out on the floor every time I switch uses (if I don't want to carry extra stuff).

edit: they also have two other models on the same system. One small one that only has 2 accessory rails (so it looks cleaner, but you can't get a large size) and another one that comes in small and large but has 8 accessory rails so you can really load it up.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oof. I keep seeing targeted ads for these bags and I kind of want one.

so expensive though :(

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I went by Mission Workshop last week. These bags are very sweet - they look completely bomb-proof, and they'd better be at the prices they're asking. I'm actually looking for a new set of paniers and they don't make them yet.

epb

Reaction score

I thought it looked really cool until I noticed that one side has brown leather with metal hardware while the other side had nylon webbing and black ABS plastic hardware.

Still cool looking, but that discontinuity bugs me. Might be why its under a hundred bucks though.

The lining didn't bug you? It wouldn't suit my needs, but the red/white pinstripe lining is a non-starter anyway. The Blue Lounge bag is still working quite nicely.

elizafernandes

Reaction score
https://www.undscvrd.com/craftedgoods-ballistic-todero-25.html

this bag is really handy to use under any circumstances actually. it doesn't hurt when you wear it for a long time (that's a problem I seem to have with a lot of backpacks) and you can put a lot of stuff in it. I'm really happy I bought it, and I think it looks similar to this one. They also have it in a bigger size but I bought this one because it was just the right size for me.

MirroredMirror

Reaction score
unisex-12232305_8418760407.jpg

What do you think about this one?
I'm inclined to get it. Made frm recycled materials, no leather (that's a plus for me)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads