Back for another suit critique

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jkhan82, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

Hey guys, Any feedback on this Navy suit? Sorry for the low quality pictures, cheap camera my sis-law shot real quick. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks in advance. [​IMG] My pervious post: Post 1 and Post 2

2. asdf

asdf Senior member

a whole lot better than your last one

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Looks decent. Some tweaks you might consider:

-Sleeve length
    -Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat
    -Sleeve pitch change?

Also, you might consider a jacket with a lower button stance next time. This one is RIDICULOUSLY high. But the essential fit of the jacket is fine. And bluchers look funny with suits, especially when they're tan.

4. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

The left sleeve could be 1/2" longer. Wear a tie. Also, I can't tell if it's black or dark navy from the picture, but if it's black, ditch it.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The left sleeve could be 1/2" longer. Wear a tie. Also, I can't tell if it's black or dark navy from the picture, but if it's black, ditch it.

Clearly navy in the last picture.

6. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

a whole lot better than your last one
    Thank you.. I donated the one from my first post. [​IMG]
    Looks decent. Some tweaks you might consider: -Sleeve length -Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat -Sleeve pitch change? Also, you might consider a jacket with a lower button stance next time. This one is RIDICULOUSLY high. But the essential fit of the jacket is fine. And bluchers look funny with suits, especially when they're tan.
    1) Sleeve length: I'll def look into it. I tend to buy a 33 for my shirts. I might go down to a 32. I do like to show more cuff. Is this a personal taste thing or am I breaking some rule? 2) Get a tailor to alter the jacket so the lapels lay flat: Interesting, I didn't know this was an option. I'll def look into it. 3)Sleeve pitch change: Like rehanging the sleeve to match my posture?
    Hmm I think your on to something. I also had that feeling but I thought it might be my shirt. That gingham shirt's leave is .5 longer then the other one.. odd. I wonder if its to compensate a watch? duno. Also, Why would I have to ditch it if it was black? is there a different way blacks are suppose to fit? or did you mean it was just a bad shade?

7. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Looks nice. Some slight problems with the sleeve head.
    BTW I would choose darker shoes.

8. thebac

thebac Senior member

Button stance is too high. The coat also appears a little too short (though that's in fashion right now). I think the shirt sleeves are a little long which makes the coat sleeves appear a little short. Nothing major, though.

The shoes, although they are bluchers and a bit too light (walnut?) for a navy suit, are a huge improvement over those from your first thread. They'd probably go better with a lighter, more casual suit (or sport coat), though.

9. thebac

thebac Senior member

Black suits aren't meant to be worn during the day unless you're going to a funeral, participating in a wedding as the groom, work in the hospitality industry, or are a member of the clergy.

[...]

Also, Why would I have to ditch it if it was black? is there a different way blacks are suppose to fit? or did you mean it was just a bad shade?

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

big hands are big

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Suit looks fine 'as is' to me. The shoes are fine too, but as they are bluchers they are considered casual dress shoes and are better matched with a sport coat and slacks or denim.
    Try on a pair of balmorals in black or burgundy with this suit.
    Are you sure those shoes aren't too big for you? They look enormous.
    Shirt sleeve length is an inch too long.

12. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

Looks nice. Some slight problems with the sleeve head. BTW I would choose darker shoes.
    Thanks. Yeah I just ordered a pair of Fifth Ave in Brown, just waiting for "allaboutshoes" to send those puppies out!
    Button stance is too high. The coat also appears a little too short (though that's in fashion right now). I think the shirt sleeves are a little long which makes the coat sleeves appear a little short. Nothing major, though.
    What would be a standard button stance? Thanks for the reply!
    big hands are big
    lol my hands do look awfully odd.. like big hulk hands
    Suit looks fine 'as is' to me. The shoes are fine too, but as they are bluchers they are considered casual dress shoes and are better matched with a sport coat and slacks or denim. Try on a pair of balmorals in black or burgundy with this suit. Are you sure those shoes aren't too big for you? They look enormous. Shirt sleeve length is an inch too long.
    Thanks Man of Lint, I recently ordered Fifth Ave's in brown and will soon order the AE Strands in walnut. I'll keep these Clifton for going out. The shoe size is fine, since the Clifton's run big on me so I got a size 8. I got measured at AE—I was told I was flat footed and had wide feet... :/ now I have to get a 8.5E or even EE. I got a nice pair of shoes and a complex..lovely [​IMG]

13. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

Question, I been checking up "Button stance" and I'm confused of what a normal button stance vs a high is suppose to be? maybe I'm not clearly understanding the terminology? can someone explain this for future my reference?

Thanks in advance

14. thebac

thebac Senior member

The button stance should be such that the top button on a two-button suit (the one that is buttoned) should be approximately where your natural waist lies (depending on your height, the relative size of your torso vs your legs, etc it might be OK to deviate from that rule).

In your picture the top button is well above your natural waist--this seems to be in fashion currently, but it's not the SF-approved classic button stance.

See this thread for a recent discussion on the topic:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207990

Question, I been checking up "Button stance" and I'm confused of what a normal button stance vs a high is suppose to be? maybe I'm not clearly understanding the terminology? can someone explain this for future my reference?

Thanks in advance

15. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

The button stance should be such that the top button on a two-button suit (the one that is buttoned) should be approximately where your natural waist lies (depending on your height, the relative size of your torso vs your legs, etc it might be OK to deviate from that rule).

In your picture the top button is well above your natural waist--this seems to be in fashion currently, but it's not the SF-approved classic button stance.

See this thread for a recent discussion on the topic:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207990

Thanks! Very helpful!