• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avoiding brunch in NYC-Labor Day weekend

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I put up a similiar thread 2 years ago, but got no satisfactory answers, so here goes again:
I am going up to NYC again on August 30, for five days. That means I am going to be faced with the problem that most restaurants that will be open will be serving brunch on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Labor Day).
The problem is that I hate "brunch foods." My formative years were spent in New Orleans and I ate enough of that stuff at Brennan's (which largely invented brunch) to last a lifetime.
http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/...subsectionID/0
I will have to eat out on those days, but do not want to be faced with a menu that offers stuff like waffles, French toast, Eggs Benedict, omlettes, etc. Anyone know several very good (expensive) places that have none of this crap and will serve real Lunch on those days? I am not really interested in Indian or Asian places.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to, avoid NYC maybe, go for New Jersey (North).

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
What of, the Beer,garden? (Ditmars locale)

Perhaps he could, eat some dumpling, with a pitcher of, Pilsner.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
That means I am going to be faced with the problem that most restaurants that will be open will be serving brunch on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Labor Day).
The problem is that I hate "brunch foods."

God, I wish I had problems like yours...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
www.opentable.com
www.yelp.com
www.menupages.com

Since you only want to eat at expensive places why don't you just search for $$$$ instead of $$ on Open Table? You can even make your reservation and see the menus.

Where I want to go; but, have not yet been for "brunch" is Wallse.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brunch is out of control and needs to be limited to the hours btween 9:30 & 11:30 a.m. The sight of all those hungover sleepyheads waiting in line for an hour to be able to eat breakfast food at 2 in the afternoon is beyond perplexing.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Veritas is going to serve brunch? Try La Metairie down low in SoHo. I distinctly recall the waiter not introducing himself. The mascarpone and potato galette was sublime as well.

~ Huntsman

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Nothing I love more than looking at men's sandaled bare feet while I am eating food.
Even worse when they don't cut the toenails
snork[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Nothing I love more than looking at men's sandaled bare feet while I am eating food.
Restaurants are getting increasingly disgusting these days; people with no sense of hygiene or dress eating next to you while the thickly dirty carpet sits underneath.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Restaurants are getting increasingly disgusting these days; people with no sense of hygiene or dress eating next to you while the thickly dirty carpet sits underneath.

If I ever own a restaurant, a dress code (and hygiene code, I suppose) shall be strictly enforced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads