• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic Hermes ties?

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I acquired these ties from a very reputable source (a respectable member of one of my alumni associations) for a reasonable amount for re-sale on B&S, so they're NOT a suspect eBay purchase at all!

However, while I'm familiar with older models of Hermes ties I'm not that familiar with newer versions, and so thought I'd better take a "realty check" on these prior to listing them. The quality of the silk is excellent, as is the quality of the lining and the construction, and the labels are all woven in, not printed. The weave flows in the right direction and right angle, also.

But, I'll let those more familiar with Hermes judge as best they can with pictures!

Thnaks!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The "made in France" caption on the label bothers me. The ones I have do not have it.
The few Hermes ties I have denote "Fabrique en France." That said they were purchased in France. Perhaps the 'Made in France' versions are intended for an English speaking market.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

from the guide you posted:
"The Tie Stay on the back of the tie is ALWAYS Embroidered with The Hermes Horse & Carriage Logo... NEVER... will the words "Hermes Paris" appear under the Horse & Carriage, unless you are purchasing a Scarf Pattern Tie. ONLY the Scarf Pattern Ties will have the words present. Figural ties will NEVER have the words on the tie stay. This one left is fake, while the one on the right is correct."

the angle of the weave seems off as well.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could always take them to a Hermes store and ask. If they are, however, fake, you run the risk of having them confiscated.

Archy

Reaction score
What? A Hermes sales clerk can confiscate fake ties? Sounds unlikely to me.

A customs agent, maybe...

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"The Tie Stay on the back of the tie is ALWAYS Embroidered with The Hermes Horse & Carriage Logo... NEVER... will the words "Hermes Paris" appear under the Horse & Carriage, unless you are purchasing a Scarf Pattern Tie. ONLY the Scarf Pattern Ties will have the words present. Figural ties will NEVER have the words on the tie stay. This one left is fake, while the one on the right is correct."

Good point. I stand corrected. Fakes.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:

Quote:
They are absolutely fake. The whimsys never bear that label, and it seems that the twill is running the wrong way. Silk just looks wrong too.
in agreement with these two

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They are absolutely fake. The whimsys never bear that label, and it seems that the twill is running the wrong way. Silk just looks wrong too.

I would take Spoo's word on this. He sold me a Hermes tie many moons ago. I was still new so I took it to a retail store to check authenticity. It was authentic. My apologies for doubting you Spoo.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would take Spoo's word on this. He sold me a Hermes tie many moons ago. I was still new so I took it to a retail store to check authenticity. It was authentic. My apologies for doubting you Spoo.

Thanks for coming back for the pocket square! :smarmy:

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful--many thanks for these comments, especially Spoo's, who I trust absolutely on these matters. Looks like these are destined for.... well, not B&S, but any other suggestions would be welcome! Maybe I'll see if I could convert them into pocket squares for my own use... With fake labels absolutely removed! :)

Thanks again!

PS: The Hermes tie that's available free in my Ties sales thread is NOT one of these. Just wanted to clear that up! :)

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wonderful--many thanks for these comments, especially Spoo's, who I trust absolutely on these matters. Looks like these are destined for.... well, not B&S, but any other suggestions would be welcome! Maybe I'll see if I could convert them into pocket squares for my own use... With fake labels absolutely removed! :)

Thanks again!

No problem! Do you have a favorite guy who sells you the paper in the morning? Your shoeshine guy? Doorman? Office assistant, etc. You could holiday gift it, or birthday gift it, or even better- just because its a random day of the week gift it, say thanks for your hard work, just a token of my appreciation! Watch your service improve dramatically. Turn it into a good thing!

PS: The Hermes tie that's available free in my Ties sales thread is NOT one of these. Just wanted to clear that up! :)

I lol'ed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads