• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve at Oscar Hunt is awesome. If anyone is in Sydney and is after a suit, he's your man to see.

Watch guru's, I'm in need of assistance. Submariner is out, speedmaster is in. Value holding wise, is it better to buy a used 1984 vintage or a brand new 2015 model? They're both in brand new condition.

Almost all Subs tend to hold their value because production numbers keep decreasing year on year.

Some factors that particularly influence a vintage Sub's value: movement, dial, crystal, production numbers, famous wearers, rare production traits.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall a Sub that was made in the 80's (either ref. or caliber) that attract a special value over, say, a new 2015 model.

That's just off the top of my head.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all Subs tend to hold their value because production numbers keep decreasing year on year.

Some factors that particularly influence a vintage Sub's value: movement, dial, crystal, production numbers, famous wearers, rare production traits.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall a Sub that was made in the 80's (either ref. or caliber) that attract a special value over, say, a new 2015 model.

Oh god, I just realised the debate was about Omegas, not Subs. My bad.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh god, I just realised the debate was about Omegas, not Subs. My bad.

BSPF

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Trying to get a pair of new boots to retire my much-older pair that i got from my time in China (which itself says a lot about these boots). Then I thought I actually need to find a decent pair of black brogue dress shoes as well, why not get both in one?

So currently have my eyes set on
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7761
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&catid=97&oldcolid=2207&stype=0&colourid=2207

with a budget of around 550 AUD (Stingy, I know)

Or I can just wait for the possibility that Meermin could put out one in MTO.

Any suggestions? I'm not quite experienced with boots hunting so some shops that ship to Australia would be great :p

May be worthwhile checking out Double Monk. Budget a bit more, but $550 is already a large amount of money - what's an extra $200? Go in and see what you think about the stuff they have in stock, excellent service.

Enrico Santi has some Loake as well.

Not sure if the Harrolds 50% off sale is still on, but you could have scored some Church's there for about $450.

Last edited:

Johknee

Reaction score
Question for the tax experts.

My current employer has offered me a second job. If I take on this second job, will I be required to pay the top marginal rate on this job?

Thanks in advance!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the tax experts.

My current employer has offered me a second job. If I take on this second job, will I be required to pay the top marginal rate on this job?

Thanks in advance!

That depends. Are you a contract cleaner, or in senior management at an international hedge fund?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That depends. Are you a contract cleaner, or in senior management at an international hedge fund?

Working at a University in IT and have been offered a tutor job. Both a part-time positions.  
If its a NFP you may be ahead in that you can claim the before tax discounts on both.
My advice: Don't ask anonymous idiots on the web. Go to a tax expert. Or your salary packaging people.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Working at a University in IT and have been offered a tutor job. Both a part-time positions.  
ahh IT.
Ask if there's a tax deduct on dirty band t shirts and black cargo pants and doc martins.

Liber

Reaction score
I bought a 1984 Speedy a couple of years ago. I was in the same position as you were (consdiering a birth year vs new), but came across a 1984 model with beautifully patina'd, cream hour markers and hands - once I saw that, I could not leave it in the store.

I'd ask yourself how sentimental value you would attach to owning a watch from your birth year. If you're not fussed either way, and unless the vintage watch was an absolute steal, I'd probably buy new.
Not birth year, far younger than that, just found the vintage in a store in pristine condition.

The same price? In that case, I think that either the 1984 is overpriced or you're getting a bargain for the 2015 model.

I think that the revamped 2015 model (same watch, new box and a couple of extra straps, big price jump) retails for about AUD$6000, although I've heard of people getting a 10% discount off the RRP. You should, as far as I'm aware, be able to pick up a very nice "vintage" model from 1984 or thereabouts for $3500 to $4000.

Also, it's just my opinion, but if you're getting a Speedy, go for the one with the metal caseback engraved with the "first manned mission" blurb, rather than the sapphire caseback.
It's probably a mixture of both, the price I can get on the brand new model really is quite a good deal. Yeah I had a look at both the sapphire and the closed caseback, wasn't really a fan of the open case, plus the domed hardlex crystal looked much better.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have worked as an accountant for a while and worked extensively on individual and small businesses tax , gst and books.
This is how I have seen people does it- declare both job as primary on ATO . So they don't get charged high tax on the second job. At the end of the financial year; tax return time it will be evident that the person had two jobs. But he/she can claim a lot more on tax/reduce the tax amount to pay back ATO. Having 2 jobs makes possible to claim car/transport, meals (plus other industry related items) when otherwise they would've been eligible.

Last edited:

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Jakarta, Rome...and a shout out for Chicago.

Hello All - am SF admirer of the level of knowledge here so thought I would pose a couple of questions, one I know many of you will be more than helpful, one that will be more challenging.

Let me start with the challenging one first - am a 56R, 38 waist.

Where in Jakarta (other than those labels in the shiny malls, Canali, Zegna, Stefano ricci etc etc) are there good menswear locations? Looks like I will be spending some time there so need to lighten up the suits, ie beautifully tailored and unlined is what I will be sourcing. Loathing the humidity and heat and cant yet bring myself to wearing a Batik, however have a fitting soon for one that I can wear to formal events. Any help or recommendations here be helpful.

The second and easier of the two Q's - Rome. Will be there in early April and will be sourcing suits for the hot and humid temperatures in Asia. So, again, OTR unlined beautifully made is where I want to go simply because Im not too confident that I could get tailor made in the 4 work free spare days I have. $$ not so much of an issue, however in saying this Kiton, Isaia are not in my pay scale. Any recomendations be hugely appreciated.

In the spirit of sharing - was in Chicago recently and was blown away by the beautiful quality and fabrics of this tailor - http://www.fredericklynn.com/ Would certainly receommend to anyone visiting the Windy City. I was hoping to be able to go back and have him make my suits but other things have gotten in the way and looks like I wont be back until next year now.

Look forward to sharing your experiences and knowledge here SF AU

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The second and easier of the two Q's - Rome.  Will be there in early April and will be sourcing suits for the hot and humid temperatures in Asia.  So, again, OTR unlined beautifully made is where I want to go simply because Im not too confident that I could get tailor made in the 4 work free spare days I have.  $$ not so much of an issue, however in saying this Kiton, Isaia are not in my pay scale.  Any recomendations be hugely appreciated.  

You might find that the Italian makers like Boglioli, Lardini, Caruso, Pal Zileri, Tagliatore, et al do great work for the money. The first two may be a little too contemporary in cut, but there's only one way to find out. Availability is no issue in Rome.

My tip with Jakarta would be to focus on shirts and having them made up in cloth designed for humidity.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
You might find that the Italian makers like Boglioli, Lardini, Caruso, Pal Zileri, Tagliatore, et al do great work for the money. The first two may be a little too contemporary in cut, but there's only one way to find out. Availability is no issue in Rome.

My tip with Jakarta would be to focus on shirts and having them made up in cloth designed for humidity.

Best of luck!
Thanks Andrew - the depth of knowledge here in our AU Forum has always been amazing to me hence why I seek the advice here. Thanks for your recommendations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads