• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FXH can perhaps say more on this point, but a sack jacket does not have to be baggy.

It's not called a "sack" because it's shaped like a sack, it's called a sack from a French term ("sacque", I think) that referred to the way the back panels were cut.

Despite the lack of a front seam on a sack jacket, it does not have to be baggy and shapeless.

Voxsartoria had an informative post on his blog about sacque-cut jackets a while back.
more about the sack/sacque tomorrow.
M mo

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As you know I take a lot of photos.

One of my photos has made its way to a competition - please vote for it here (http://www.streethunters.net/blog/2015/06/16/poll-monthly-theme-contest-june-2015/) - it's #10.

Vote once, vote twice, vote fifteen times. Get your Mum to vote, get your Dad to vote, whoever.

I'd like to win.

If you vote for me and let me know, I will personally send you an individualised thank you message.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey all,

As you know I take a lot of photos.

One of my photos has made its way to a competition - please vote for it here (http://www.streethunters.net/blog/2015/06/16/poll-monthly-theme-contest-june-2015/) - it's #10.

Vote once, vote twice, vote fifteen times. Get your Mum to vote, get your Dad to vote, whoever.

I'd like to win.

If you vote for me and let me know, I will personally send you an individualised thank you message.

LM - you are at about 50% of just now. Good luck. That is a great photograph. Love the timelessness of it. No need for personalised thanks - happy to do it!

Thanasi

Reaction score
I have purchased a few suits from Suitshop and I'm very happy with them. I'm thinking about requesting a casual jacket/blazer from them. Has anyone gone down this road? Are you happy with your purchase?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re a members tie, most of us here will have multiple solid colour ties I guess, especially staple colours like burgundy, navy, dark green etc.

So perhaps an Aussie members club stripe might have broader appeal? I think striped grenadines are the quintessential iGent tie? With a monogram or the womblaht on the back blade..? Just another thought.

Jason you will develop the patience of Job If you didn't already have it from the last batch of members' ties!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped and mongram could be problematic PoP some people would ask what regiment your from and I doubt anyone has heard of the 101st Sartoralists.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped and mongram could be problematic PoP some people would ask what regiment your from and I doubt anyone has heard of the 101st Sartoralists.

This is true. Whenever I see a man wearing a rep tie, I always enquire as to his regiment. If I don't like the answer, I shoot him dead.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped grenadines are fairly easily doable and we need a min of 12 units to do them which should be fairly easy, but can customise colours on them for base, stripes etc. I think lets keep bouncing around ideas for another day or so then we'll put it to a vote and go from there.

My wife says I'm quite a bit more patient than she is :)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pleasant start to the morning.

In the interests of team harmony, I was persuaded to wear a pair of maroon trousers today because there's some sort of game being played this evening between a team from Queensland and a team from NSW.

So, I'm wearing a pair of trousers that are in-between brick red and maroon, along with a blue-and-white university stripe OCBD shirt, blue knit tie, blue jacket in a herringbone weave, a printed silk pocket square in maroon with little blue-and-white flowers, and brown shell cordovan penny loafers (with navy socks).

As I was walking from the train station to my office, I was crossing the street with a bit of a frown on my face as I was contemplating the day's tasks when I sensed that someone was walking towards me. I looked up to see an attractive, well-dressed Asian lady striding across the road, take-away coffee in one hand and bag in another. She looked at me, gave me a big smile, and said, "You look amazing! So cool!" She shot me another smile and strode on.

I had quite a bit more spring in my step after that!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 101st Sartorialists... I thought their uniform was camo double monks without socks and suede A1 bomber jackets?

I only know striped grenadines are iGent material as fxh asked me about one once.

Grenadine or shantung might be good.

Australia's national colours were blue and gold up to the mid 80s, so maybe something that includes these.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Australia's national colours were blue and gold up to the mid 80s, so maybe something that includes these.

Aussie soccer team has navy as the away strip.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a pleasant start to the morning.

In the interests of team harmony, I was persuaded to wear a pair of maroon trousers today because there's some sort of game being played this evening between a team from Queensland and a team from NSW.

So, I'm wearing a pair of trousers that are in-between brick red and maroon, along with a blue-and-white university stripe OCBD shirt, blue knit tie, blue jacket in a herringbone weave, a printed silk pocket square in maroon with little blue-and-white flowers, and brown shell cordovan penny loafers (with navy socks).

As I was walking from the train station to my office, I was crossing the street with a bit of a frown on my face as I was contemplating the day's tasks when I sensed that someone was walking towards me. I looked up to see an attractive, well-dressed Asian lady striding across the road, take-away coffee in one hand and bag in another. She looked at me, gave me a big smile, and said, "You look amazing! So cool!" She shot me another smile and strode on.

I had quite a bit more spring in my step after that!

JM glad you got the compliments but a word of warning change your jacket tie shirt and socks if you go out after dark otherwise the Queensland league bogans would string you up due to your traitorous upper ensemble.

And as to the big game, bah humbug the last one was a joke and I doubt this one will be any better.

And its currenty bucketing down here fantastic.

I second Ernie's statement about the colour I've had some great Navy and Gold ties over the years. Have one in my wardrobe at present.

Last edited:

melbournites

Reaction score

Long time lurker. Like the idea of blue and gold/deep red/orange. Sentimental oz colors with blue representing the sea and gold/red/orange the dirt. Shantung silk will add to the rustic look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads