• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

boff

Reaction score

Here's a random question (seems to be the place for random topics at the moment): hypoallergenic pillows - recommendations, experiences?

Try a buckwheat pillow. Just make sure that it's very good quality so nothing but the husks is in there (e.g.traces of flour).

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you wear it formally or casually?

Casually for the most part as it's sky blue. Could for work with a white shirt and mid grey trousers and blue blazer.

alessandromo

Reaction score
Sydney folk - recommendations for the best place (cafe, hotel reception, etc) in the conservative business dress to meet a client at mid-morning?

I work in Melb, so have no idea where to meet someone in Sydney that isn't some **** cafe packed full of people.

Thanks in advance.

Fratelli / Cafe Sopra in Bridge St. My local.

http://www.fratellifresh.com.au

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I just made a pair of 300 gram I would t want any heavier

And 14oz is too heavy for Sydney. Let alone 26 oz.

Cut is also important. If you like looser trousers then even 12oz flannel can be a bit breezy on a cold winter's night. Then again if you have your pants super tapered then they will wear a lot warmer.

In general though I think 10-12oz is the most versatile weight for our climate.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stay around 12 oz or 340 g as I tend to wear my trousers on the looser side.

Is flannel any warmer than a worsted in the same weight?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FA - you live in Sydney right, are you sure you want flannel?

You're a pretty big dude and with East Coast winters you're lucky enough to wear long pants.

I'd stick to a 4 season fabric personally.

Did anyone watch that 'Lights Out in the Cross' doco? I'm embarrassed for my generation.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch that 'Lights Out in the Cross' doco? I'm embarrassed for my generation.
I didn't watch it but most of that stuff is a farce and tries to imply that 0.1% of people out in the conservative business dress late at night are there for the sole reason of starting a fight and causing trouble.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch it but most of that stuff is a farce and tries to imply that 0.1% of people out in the conservative business dress late at night are there for the sole reason of starting a fight and causing trouble.
Whereas it's probably more like 5%.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone filmed has had upwards of 10 drinks.

The entire night has consisted of white boys in bucket hats and a bunch of girls whose hair looks like a toilet brush accusing everyone of "harassment"

What a disgusting culture.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I typed that wrong from my phone.

Documentaries like that are mainly a farce that try and imply the 0.1% of trouble makers are the entire party going population.

Nothing wrong with getting intoxicated. I'm sure everyone in this thread has had a night out where they've had much more to drink.

Who care's what they wear dude? People are out having a good time and enjoying themselves.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
FA - you live in Sydney right, are you sure you want flannel?

You're a pretty big dude and with East Coast winters you're lucky enough to wear long pants.

I'd stick to a 4 season fabric personally.

Haha ... I have no idea why you'd think I'm big. I'm only 5'7'' in real life.

I'm interested in flannel mostly for the texture.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the mentality of "It's okay to get intoxicated" that has led us to this horrible situation in Australia. Our drinking culture seriously needs to be looked into.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stay around 12 oz or 340 g as I tend to wear my trousers on the looser side.

Is flannel any warmer than a worsted in the same weight?

Yes, it is, due to the texture of the cloth.

It's the mentality of "It's okay to get intoxicated" that has led us to this horrible situation in Australia. Our drinking culture seriously needs to be looked into.

More than "It's OK to get intoxicated", it's more the culture amongst certain groups of young people (quite a lot of young people, in fact) that when you go out, you must get absolutely wasted and that you haven't had a good night if you didn't get so drunk that you were falling over or throwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads