• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More than "It's OK to get intoxicated", it's more the culture amongst certain groups of young people (quite a lot of young people, in fact) that when you go out, you must get absolutely wasted and that you haven't had a good night if you didn't get so drunk that you were falling over or throwing up.

+1

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it is, due to the texture of the cloth.
More than "It's OK to get intoxicated", it's more the culture amongst certain groups of young people (quite a lot of young people, in fact) that when you go out, you must get absolutely wasted and that you haven't had a good night if you didn't get so drunk that you were falling over or throwing up.

This is right on the money in terms of cultural behaviour. As a parent of a YOLO i dread Friday/Saturday nights worse is the all day Sunday hangover. I'm not a wowser but the attitude amongst my son his mates and others is troubling for a lot of fathers I know with sons of a similar year.

As for street violence there have always been a minority be they sharpies, skins and dickheads who go out looking for a chance to bash someone.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the mentality of "It's okay to get intoxicated" that has led us to this horrible situation in Australia. Our drinking culture seriously needs to be looked into.

Such a good point.

Alcohol abuse is rife here and very few seem to want to acknowledge there's a problem. It doesn't take much to see that there's a huge issue with the amount of alcohol consumed.

I couldn't give a flying **** if people are having a good time, there are ways to enjoy oneself without the appalling and dangerous excesses many people decide they want or need. I've had students tell me self-harm makes them feel good - and they're not lying - that doesn't justify the action. Exact same principle with consistent alcohol abuse.

It's truly disgusting.

Catching the trains around Melbourne after a football match, or during the Spring races, or on a Friday/Saturday night is just revolting. People's behaviour is truly anti-social (in the sense that it's damaging or problematic to society) a lot of the time.

Rant rant rant rant rant.

Last edited:

Stiva

Reaction score
Governments have been aware of and grappling with the problem for years now. While the fix obviously has to be multi-factorial, the evidence shows quite clearly that restricting supply (in terms of opening hours, venues, etc) is an effective tool. But governments are loath to act comprehensively on that evidence because of the power of the liquor and hotel industries. The political donor lists in all Australian jurisdictions make interesting reading in that respect.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, going way off-topic here so I will also post yesterday's fit as a counterbalance.

Continental Europe and China (I've lived in both places) have very lax liquor laws. You can buy beer, wine and whisky at 24-hour convenience stores, and in Shanghai many bars are open until 3am. Yet there is very little if any street violence or public drunkenness. In Germany where I lived in 1989, youngsters would congregate in public squares and drink beer from about 6pm onwards - right out on the street during warmer weather - with no atmosphere of aggression.

I firmly believe that the way people behave when drunk is largely culturally determined - although there may be a genetic component too. Put simply, Asians become paralytic and have to be carried home. Continental Europeans become more and more gregarious and eventually fall asleep. English-speaking Caucasians, however, become aggressive and violent. This is true in the British Isles, Australia, and North America. The sad fact is that we can't handle our liquor - Aussies make for disgraceful drunks.

This behaviour is so deeply rooted in white Anglo culture that it's probably impossible to eradicate. Therefore the only solution is wowserism - restricting availability. It saddens me to find myself recommending this, as I'm a die-hard libertarian (I also strongly believe that all recreational drugs should be legalised), but given our cultural inclinations, it seems to be the only way.

Right, enough of that. Here's what I wore to work yesterday. I've recently read VoxSartoria's thesis on cohesion in dressing - that is, going one step beyond colour/fabric coordination by paying attention to the degree of formalism in each element. He advised against mixing country with city elements, even for "daring" effect, and makes a damn good argument. Yesterday's fit tries to match all the elements as being roughly 50/50 on this sliding scale of rustification. Hence: brown suit, wool tie, non-white shirt, mid-brown pocket square, "sports luxury" watch, brown brogue oxford shoes. It's probably still not quite right, but it's an attempt.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could any Sydney members recommend what would be an appropriate weight for flannel trousers?

I believe 12 oz should be fine, but 14 oz might be getting a bit on the warm side. Thanks.

Had some trousers made with some lighter weight Fox Flannel last winter, it's idea weight for Sydney winter.

I do have some trousers made with Minnis flannel at around 14-15 oz. I saved those for the coldest winter days or when I travel overseas.

http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/157/flannel/fine-grey-worsted-fox-flannel

http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/155/flannel/fox-flannel-classic-grey-chalk-stripe

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had some trousers made with some lighter weight Fox Flannel last winter, it's idea weight for Sydney winter.

I do have some trousers made with Minnis flannel at around 14-15 oz. I saved those for the coldest winter days or when I travel overseas.

http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/157/flannel/fine-grey-worsted-fox-flannel

http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/155/flannel/fox-flannel-classic-grey-chalk-stripe

Wearing a pair made out of the first cloth today. They are comfortable in a range of temps, perfect, as you say, for autumn/spring/winter in Sydney.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, going way off-topic here so I will also post yesterday's fit as a counterbalance. Continental Europe and China (I've lived in both places) have very lax liquor laws. You can buy beer, wine and whisky at 24-hour convenience stores, and in Shanghai many bars are open until 3am. Yet there is very little if any street violence or public drunkenness. In Germany where I lived in 1989, youngsters would congregate in public squares and drink beer from about 6pm onwards - right out on the street during warmer weather - with no atmosphere of aggression. I firmly believe that the way people behave when drunk is largely culturally determined - although there may be a genetic component too. Put simply, Asians become paralytic and have to be carried home. Continental Europeans become more and more gregarious and eventually fall asleep. English-speaking Caucasians, however, become aggressive and violent. This is true in the British Isles, Australia, and North America. The sad fact is that we can't handle our liquor - Aussies make for disgraceful drunks. This behaviour is so deeply rooted in white Anglo culture that it's probably impossible to eradicate. Therefore the only solution is wowserism - restricting availability. It saddens me to find myself recommending this, as I'm a die-hard libertarian (I also strongly believe that all recreational drugs should be legalised), but given our cultural inclinations, it seems to be the only way.
Cox, interesting thoughts, and I tend to agree. Certainly, as a generalisation, a lot of other cultures don't seem to have the problems with alcohol-fuelled violence that Anglo-Saxon culture has.
Right, enough of that. Here's what I wore to work yesterday. I've recently read VoxSartoria's thesis on cohesion in dressing - that is, going one step beyond colour/fabric coordination by paying attention to the degree of formalism in each element. He advised against mixing country with city elements, even for "daring" effect, and makes a damn good argument. Yesterday's fit tries to match all the elements as being roughly 50/50 on this sliding scale of rustification. Hence: brown suit, wool tie, non-white shirt, mid-brown pocket square, "sports luxury" watch, brown brogue oxford shoes. It's probably still not quite right, but it's an attempt.
I like all of this bar the shirt. Personally, I think that it would be better with a shirt in a non-patterned cloth (ie a plain weave) with a smaller pattern - either a fine pencil stripe (rather than a very broad stripe) or a small-scale graph check or small-scale gingham check. Suit, tie, cufflinks and shoes are all excellent. Are those the new shoes that you mentioned yesterday, by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members