• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-banger

Reaction score

My mother would have a heart attack if she saw my shoes on the bed like that.

my GF would have my b@lls on a silver platter if i did that, she's of asian background so no shoes in house.:foo:

Last edited:

Spinning

Reaction score
What is the reason for sale? Both seem to be staple colorways.

Fit.
Too much of a hassle for me to get back to Melb just to change them. I made a post about the story before.

Anyway, I'm quitting my job so no need for a suit anymore. :)

Kimcha

Reaction score
I went to Henry Bucks and the service was fantastic. If you ever consider buying from a local store and support the local economy I highly recommend Henry Bucks and Herringbone. Joseph's on the other hand I would avoid.

They had the Aldwych and Buckingham, but unfortunately not in my size. The smallest size they had is 7, which is way too big. We measured my foot and it was between 5 and 6 and an f width would likely fit.

I'll measure my foot up some more and then probably just take a leap and order it online or wait until I am in England next months to buy it there.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Henry Bucks and the service was fantastic. If you ever consider buying from a local store and support the local economy I highly recommend Henry Bucks and Herringbone. Joseph's on the other hand I would avoid.

They had the Aldwych and Buckingham, but unfortunately not in my size. The smallest size they had is 7, which is way too big. We measured my foot and it was between 5 and 6 and an f width would likely fit.

I'll measure my foot up some more and then probably just take a leap and order it online or wait until I am in England next months to buy it there.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Hi Kimcha

I'm glad you took our advice and went and visited Henry Bucks. I also had a rousing suspicion that it just isn't economical for them to carry a shoe size below 7. That is unfortunate. You would also notice that their pricing for the Loake 1880 is well above what you had priced as your maximum ($450 > $350). As a result, even if they had a 5 1/2 / 6, you would still have to buy online.

Joseph's is terrible.

Off the top of my head, there are no other shops in Sydney that sell the level of shoe you are after. Visit Harrolds or Double Monk next time you are in Melbourne for sizing, as all the shoes they stock are also way out of your price range.

I hope you get something good next time your in England, or get it right when you order online.

Kimcha

Reaction score
Hi Kimcha

I'm glad you took our advice and went and visited Henry Bucks. I also had a rousing suspicion that it just isn't economical for them to carry a shoe size below 7. That is unfortunate. You would also notice that their pricing for the Loake 1880 is well above what you had priced as your maximum ($450 > $350). As a result, even if they had a 5 1/2 / 6, you would still have to buy online.

Joseph's is terrible.

Off the top of my head, there are no other shops in Sydney that sell the level of shoe you are after. Visit Harrolds or Double Monk next time you are in Melbourne for sizing, as all the shoes they stock are also way out of your price range.

I hope you get something good next time your in England, or get it right when you order online.

Thanks I really appreciate your advice. I really wanted to get them earlier, but I'll probably just get them in London. Hopefully it won't be more expensive than pediwear.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
FH - allow me to explain:

You've got potential for an excellent slim profile - higher rise pants, tapered, etc - you've actually got the build that stuff works for.

That being said, you're dressing with a jacket that makes you look way fatter, and doesn't flatter your frame, and the large belt buckle does not draw the eye in the way it should (hey look, there's his belly button) - because it's large, and it stands out. This is amplifed because the pants are the strongest colour there - so the eye moves towards them (the shirt almost fades away to when I look at it).

I'm far from an expert, and I could have a few things wrong. It's good that you like the way you dress, but you could be doing what you're tring to do (classic men's casual pieces) a lot better because they could be flattering you.

If I've made some mistakes I'm sure some of the more viscerally intense characters wil let us know :)

I like the use of classic men's casual pieces - the key here is nothing other than fit (or colour) in the pursuit of flattery. Most of us dress in classic men's pieces. Sometimes no amount of fit can flatter, but you can get close.

Out of interest, what do you use the valet for? Is it for laying out your next day's clothes the night before? Or for photographing your ensembles?

I plan to use it to lay out my clothes, but also to carry the odd pair of trousers, and shirt that can be worn again that week...

Halifax

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back several members were talking about leather traveller bags and I was curious if anyone has run into this mob before?

http://tailfeather.com.au/

They are substantially more expensive than ruggeredluxury for instance but it seems quite boutique.

Cheers in advance.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciate your advice. I really wanted to get them earlier, but I'll probably just get them in London. Hopefully it won't be more expensive than pediwear.

I'm not quite sure whether it will be cheaper buying them in the U.K and flying back. It will definitely be cheaper than buying them here in Sydney.

When you purchase online you avoid the VAT which is about 20%, but then you have to pay for postage. So it will be slightly cheaper buying online (maybe $50 or so) then buying in the U.K. However, you get the added benefit of having tried them on first. Once you get your first pair of shoes correct in sizing, every pair of shoes after that is significantly easier.

boff

Reaction score

Have you considered one of the Asian MTM outfits? TheWraith seems to have had considerable success with Shanghai Tianzi. Search the forums for more, I'm sure you'll find good and bad.

Online MTM, though you can certainly go to them as well if you're able. I sent them an outline of the soles of my feet, measured various points of the soles of my feet and supplied overall measurements of key areas of my feet. Obviously, getting it all done in person is better, but the shoes fit me perfectly, they nailed it, and for $221, I'm thrilled :D I have three pairs of shoes from them so far, with more to come.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright I just bought the black Hallams from Edwards of Manchester. Can't wait to get another pair of C&Js they look so damn good. How many pairs of shoes is enough? I feel like I spend all my money on shoes and have no savings.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes no amount of fit can flatter, but you can get close.

I have days where this is the case. #badhairday

I would avoid this for your first pair of shoes. MTM and all that jazz is for people with a bit of experience already.

Have to agree with Mr Sy here, stick to tried and true classics to start with....or always.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw this and thought of you fxh (especially with summer coming) - http://suitsandthecityft.tumblr.com/post/60785437293/if-the-shoe-fits-who-needs-socks-loafers-by

The captions reads "If the shoe fits, who needs socks?"

Who indeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads