• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many pairs of shoes is enough?

IMO, anything more than 5 good pairs of shoes for work, crosses over into the excessive classification. You won't have time to properly maintain and shine them otherwise. Trading up is fine.

As for casual and sport, anything more than 10 crosses over into the excessive classification. 2 pairs of trainers and 8 casual shoes is plenty.

That's a total of 15 pairs of shoes sitting in a closet!

Having said that, all the people that actually add value to this thread, add value because they are excessive in what they do (not me). It's highly admirable.

P.S Grats on the new news shoes! :D.

Last edited:

jas0nt

Reaction score

Alright I just bought the black Hallams from Edwards of Manchester. Can't wait to get another pair of C&Js they look so damn good. How many pairs of shoes is enough? I feel like I spend all my money on shoes and have no savings.

I have;

Black captoe (Loake)
Brown captoe (C&J)
Burgundy captoe (Carmina)
Brown half brogues (EG)
Brown suede (Loake).

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back several members were talking about leather traveller bags and I was curious if anyone has run into this mob before?

http://tailfeather.com.au/

They are substantially more expensive than ruggeredluxury for instance but it seems quite boutique.

Cheers in advance.

Have a belt from them - love it. Great people.

kayhill

Reaction score
I reckon you should aim to have one of the following colours:
- Burgundy
- Dark Brown
- Black
- Tan

And one of the following styles:
- Whole-cut oxford
- Cap toe
- Wingtip brogue
- Monk

So how many do you need? As few as 4 or as many as 16.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the shoe Department I have
Tan Shortwing Wingtips(Grenson)
Blue Suede Shortwing Wingtips(Grenson)
Brown Suede Brogue (Herring)
Navy Suede PTB (Loake)
Brown Double Monks(Meermin)
Black LongWings (Grenson)
Black Cap Toe (Herring)
Brown Brogue Boots(Grenson)
Dark Green Suede Chukka (Kimber)
Copper Running Shoes (New Balance)
White Sneakers (Common Projects)

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, anything more than 5 good pairs of shoes for work, crosses over into the excessive classification. You won't have time to properly maintain and shine them otherwise. Trading up is fine.

As for casual and sport, anything more than 10 crosses over into the excessive classification. 2 pairs of trainers and 8 casual shoes is plenty.

Having said that, all the people that actually add value to this thread, add value because they are excessive in what they do (not me). It's highly admirable.

I have about 30 shoes. 9 pairs are for work (Oxfords and bluchers), about 5-6 sneakers, the rest are variations of loafers, brogues or boots, that I wear frequently.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right. Its hard to keep up with a large shoe rotation. Currently have over 35 pairs of dress shoes(all good year welted) and 20+ pairs of casual shoes. Most mornings I have to change shoes few times before I decide which pair I will wear that day!

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently have over 35 pairs of dress shoes and 20+ pairs of casual shoes.

55 pairs of shoes
wow.gif
! Assuming each pair has a width of 25 centimeters when side by side your shoes laid out would be 13.75 meters in length!

It is for this show of experience, that makes your advice so valuable to plebs like myself.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ari,

You only really need two pair so that the shoes have an opportunity to dry.

I'd go:
- a black capped oxford
- a dark brown brogue (any combination)

Some chelseas or chukkas for weekends and that would be it.

I am a minimalist though, I enjoy surety.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1x Oxford/Brogue
1x Chukka
1x Chelsea

For fun
Unlimited sneakers

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Kimcha

I'm glad you took our advice and went and visited Henry Bucks. I also had a rousing suspicion that it just isn't economical for them to carry a shoe size below 7. That is unfortunate. You would also notice that their pricing for the Loake 1880 is well above what you had priced as your maximum ($450 > $350). As a result, even if they had a 5 1/2 / 6, you would still have to buy online.

Joseph's is terrible.

Off the top of my head, there are no other shops in Sydney that sell the level of shoe you are after. Visit Harrolds or Double Monk next time you are in Melbourne for sizing, as all the shoes they stock are also way out of your price range.

I hope you get something good next time your in England, or get it right when you order online.

Thanks I really appreciate your advice. I really wanted to get them earlier, but I'll probably just get them in London. Hopefully it won't be more expensive than pediwear.

I am pretty sure Joseph's has Aldwych in 6, and 5.5, which was the case when I visited them. So you can try them on and buy from UK and not pay VAT.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've held my tongue on this going to shops to try before you buy business, but I can't any longer. In my humble opinion, it's wrong.

Do not go willingly into a shop, knowing full well you're not going to buy from them, just to try it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads