• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
reading the last couple of posts regarding shoe quantity

Edit: tommorow is going to be a stinker. 32 degrees. Better whip our your cotton and linen gear.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit: tommorow is going to be a stinker. 32 degrees. Better whip our your cotton and linen gear.

huh?
Wednesday 11 September
Summary
Min 10
Max 16
A few showers.
Chance of any rain: 60%
Rainfall amount: 1 to 2 mm
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly then decreasing to 15 to 20 km/h in the evening.

Last edited:

Nolvadex

Reaction score
huh?
Wednesday 11 September
Summary
Min 10
Max 16
A few showers.
Chance of any rain: 60%
Rainfall amount: 1 to 2 mm
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly then decreasing to 15 to 20 km/h in the evening.

32 degrees in Brisbane.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reckon you should aim to have one of the following colours:
- Burgundy
- Dark Brown
- Black
- Tan

And one of the following styles:
- Whole-cut oxford
- Cap toe
- Wingtip brogue
- Monk

So how many do you need? As few as 4 or as many as 16.

Also boots.
Don't forget the material - having pairs in calf, suede and/or shell cordovan can take you up to 48 pairs ...
If you have high insteps, you'd be more comfortable with derbies than oxfords.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does look quite brownish in some of the photos, but it looks quite burgundy-coloured in some of the other photos. For example, in the third photo down (the shot of the interior), the leather looks quite reddish-brown.

A good coat of leather conditioner/cream in a burgundy colour could help to bring out the underlying colour more, too.

Just an update after a chat with Henry. He described burgundy as a dark reddish-brown with a hint of blue. What he describes is a shade called Old Burgundy, which I found on Wikipedia and looks really close to,the bag. So it is just that my mental image of burgundy differed from his, and I should have checked further before ordering.

He kindly offered to refund if I paid return postage, which is very fair for a MTO piece. I'll hang onto it though; it's a very nice bag even if not the colour I imagined.

smeggett

Reaction score
Shoes? I feel almost povvo reading some of the collections people have here.

I sport 2 pairs of C&Js (black Hallams and brown Westbournes), a pair of Loake chukka boots (Pimlico in chocolate brown suede) and a pair of RM Williams Craftsmans in black.

In other news I wear a pair of Steel Blue steel capped boots everyday and rotate the rest according to what function I might be attending on any given evening. All things considered I don't envy those of you who need to choose what to wear to work each day. I like the fact that with a uniform I don't need to think about what to wear - it allows me to put my mind to other pursuits such as determining what y next sartorial purchase is likely to be...

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To throw in my spanner, I prefer not owning many sartorial items beyond the basics.

As well as being excessive for your average middle class white boy, there's something endearing about running a handful of items and making them your own - eg Clinton's Ironmaster or Blair's lucky Churches.

If I were you Ari, I'd get two pairs of shoes, a black cap oxford and a brown brogue of your choice and spend the rest on Appreciation.

Wear them, love them, make them your own (the shoes not the Appreciation).

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes? I feel almost povvo reading some of the collections people have here.

I sport 2 pairs of C&Js (black Hallams and brown Westbournes), a pair of Loake chukka boots (Pimlico in chocolate brown suede) and a pair of RM Williams Craftsmans in black.

You're covered for nearly every occasion with that collection. It's very versatile.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
spend money on Appreciation? have you heard of the internet?

Spend time on internet Appreciation? Have you heard of women?

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update after a chat with Henry. He described burgundy as a dark reddish-brown with a hint of blue. What he describes is a shade called Old Burgundy, which I found on Wikipedia and looks really close to,the bag. So it is just that my mental image of burgundy differed from his, and I should have checked further before ordering.

He kindly offered to refund if I paid return postage, which is very fair for a MTO piece. I'll hang onto it though; it's a very nice bag even if not the colour I imagined.

So you are happy with the quality, construction etc it was just the colour that gave you pause?

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: ever have one of those days where you hate your wardrobe?

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They don't do the things the ones on the videos do. At least not with me :(

Your obviously not going to the right club.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those in Brisbane, there is a new (I think) cobbler in the wintergarden, in the food court, that has $35 dollar wooden (not sure if cedar) shoe trees. Was in a rush so didn't inspect properly. They also have plastic ones, which I assume would be substantially cheaper. Obviously you get what you pay for. I don't have any and don't have any shoes worth getting them for, but thought it might interest some.

I get the full cedar Florsheim trees from DJs (oddly, the Florsheim store no longer sells them). Can frequently be had on sale for about $20.

On another note, can someone explain 'foxing' to me?

I am overdue for some new shirts, and hence many in my collection are fraying around the cuffs and collar. What, exactly, makes this awesome rather than not awesome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads