• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSurg

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Was in Sydney for a few days and checked out QVB. Has anyone bought timepieces from the antique shop on level 1? They had quite a few omega piepans, older IWC, and old Le Coultre. Very interesting...

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Was in Sydney for a few days and checked out QVB. Has anyone bought timepieces from the antique shop on level 1? They had quite a few omega piepans, older IWC, and old Le Coultre. Very interesting...

I haven't, but I was checking their stock out the other day myself. Some interesting models indeed. They had a few Rolex watches as well, including a fairly nice GMT Master.

andrewjamesdean

Reaction score
A long shot I'm sure, but would anyone be interested in purchasing a pair of brand new, unlined Dents leather gloves in size small? They just so happen to be the same gloves a certain spy wears in Skyfall. One can only assume that if worn, you will be mistaken for Daniel Craig

Smudge

Reaction score
'Afternoon / evening gents, any recommendations for lunch and dinner in Melbourne? Taking wife there this weekend (away without the kids ;-). Thinking conservative business dress for dinner but could go further afield for lunch. We like Japanese / Asian but open to suggestions. Preferably c$30 main or equivalent.
Many thanks in advance!

lennier

Reaction score

'Afternoon / evening gents, any recommendations for lunch and dinner in Melbourne? Taking wife there this weekend (away without the kids ;-). Thinking conservative business dress for dinner but could go further afield for lunch. We like Japanese / Asian but open to suggestions. Preferably c$30 main or equivalent.
Many thanks in advance!

A Japanese friend speaks highly of Akachochin at South Wharf on the river. I've not been there yet but it's also had good reviews I believe.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cheers Rob, will make enquiries.
Chin Chin and Il Bacaro look good. I've walked past Il Bacaro several times and have always wanted to go in.
So Attica is decent? I am not the biggest fan of 'white table cloth' meals.
Flower Drum I have tried - had a great time there.

Going to jet around and make enquiries into the others.
No probs. European is good - not white cloth, more casual and reminds me of being in europe and the food/wine is good

il bacaro and il solito posto (i think its called) are two places i always get dragged to in Melb too ... prefer the european though:)

Check out Albert St food & wine - a friend of mine is a co-owner there.

Just moved to Sydney a couple of months ago, and wanted to say hello to everyone.
Hello!

How is the current state of the sydney job market? I am considering looking for new work in finance or other corporate roles.

Forget finance

interesting - remember the name? i dont think i know this store I usually buy my watches from Hacko on castlereigh st or from Fredman in the Strand. Ive got a friend's vintage sub on borrow and think i want my own rolex now - cant decide sub or explorer.. on nato/leather respectively.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting - remember the name? i dont think i know this store I usually buy my watches from Hacko on castlereigh st or from Fredman in the Strand. Ive got a friend's vintage sub on borrow and think i want my own rolex now - cant decide sub or explorer.. on nato/leather respectively.

No love for a vintage GMT?

iSurg

Reaction score
I'm on Hacko's mailing list, but I find his prices to be very close to price for new US stock. What did you get from him?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm visiting Melbourne for a week from the 14th of February and I'm making a list of places to visit. So far I have:
- Azzaro's
- Henry Bucks
- Beggar Man Thief
- Double Monk
- Rocco's Shoes
- Harrold's
Brisbane is pretty desolate as far as menswear goes so I am going to be like a child in a candystore.
Do you Melbourne boys have any recommendations for other places of interest? I wouldn't mind having a G&T or two with you all.

American Tailors
Paul Smith

Herringbone at 35 Collins St just to catch up with Christian if nothing else (maybe meet up with him outside of Herringbone to check out his new range of shoes as well as the Christian Kimber suit wallets, shoe trees and welt brushes)
Incu on Flinders Lane for streetwear and APC jeans
Ludlows (Mezzanine Level, 530 Lonsdale street) for accessories including Fox umbrellas, Kent Wang pocket handkerchiefs, English toiletries and a good range of Henry Carter ties some of which aren't available from Jason anymore - Richard (the owner) is a great guy
Make an appointment to check out P Johnson in South Melbourne just to get a feel for the place and also check out their range of ties, pocket handkerchiefs and Fox umbrellas - Matt and Tom are very friendly and the place is beautiful
MJ Bale to meet Paolo and Tom

Thats the usual list we'd do on a day out. A good list - if you plan it out well with a map you can easily get around by tram and walking (and don't forget your Myki card!)- f'rinstance BMT and Azzaro are in the same street and P (P for Pitti) Johnston is just around the corner.

No harm in a quick run through of DJs and Myers - opposite each other. Myers new layout lets you get through in 10 mins. The advantage of DJs and Myers is you get to see what all the brands are on about - thus saving you visiting a brand shop. Zara is next door to them but hardly worth a visit for yourself - just worth it to have a squiz at whats going on in hyper 2013 retail.

Sometimes Sarti(?) in Lonsdale(?) is worth a squiz. You should put McClouds Shoes on your list. Nothing spectacular but a good range of Loakes in the more conservative styles, a few other brands and a big range of Churches.

Coffee at Captains of Industry down that end of town is nice and has a bit of shoes and barber and stuff and typical Melb. Theres a large shoe/sneaker/boot shop down that end In Little Burke I think.

You might get a free coffee upstairs at Harrolds if it isn't too busy - but you wont buy anything unless you cant be bothered tearing up your $100 notes yourself.

Up near American Tailors the best place to have coffee - especially on a rainy Melb Friday night - is Pellegrini's - a must to sit a the shelf and look at others in the mirror by yourself. Note - Its the best place to have a coffee - not the best coffee . Paper Back Book shop just next door is open till 12 most nights - a good selection. Down one of those lanes there is that shirt guy??

If you are not a Melbourneite - or even if you are - wander through the lanes to get across blocks - get down to Basement Records in ?? Lane - if its a Friday lunch time they often have a free live band playing. The new hip(ster) clothes and such shops are mainly in Little Flinders (?) above Swanston. Worth a wander.

Roccos ?? - don't bother - a sad shadow of its former glory - this is from someone who had shoes from the Original Rocco.

After 11pm up the top end of town the Supper Club is worth having a short snort.

If you have time or are up that way - its worth having a look in Bonapartes (or s it Napoleons?) in Lygon street - small mens clothes shop with good trousers and best range of sport coats in Melbourne. Open Sundays and most nights till 7 I think. Do not eat at any of the tourist/suburbanite traps Italian restaurants in Lygon street - unless its Universita - near the clothes shop - the only one that is ok.

Want a meal after 12am in town - the classic Melbourne Supper Inn - upstairs in Chinatown till 3am I think - A wide range of people - simple tacky decor - good food packed.

Ralph Lauren on Collins is worth a quick walk through and opposite is a smallish R M Williams store.

The MJ BALE is on a small lane off Collins

Last edited:

Naka

Reaction score
I'm visiting Melbourne for a week from the 14th of February and I'm making a list of places to visit. So far I have:
- Azzaro's
- Henry Bucks
- Beggar Man Thief
- Double Monk
- Rocco's Shoes
- Harrold's
Brisbane is pretty desolate as far as menswear goes so I am going to be like a child in a candystore.
Do you Melbourne boys have any recommendations for other places of interest? I wouldn't mind having a G&T or two with you all.

American Tailors
Paul Smith

Herringbone at 35 Collins St just to catch up with Christian if nothing else (maybe meet up with him outside of Herringbone to check out his new range of shoes as well as the Christian Kimber suit wallets, shoe trees and welt brushes)
Incu on Flinders Lane for streetwear and APC jeans
Ludlows (Mezzanine Level, 530 Lonsdale street) for accessories including Fox umbrellas, Kent Wang pocket handkerchiefs, English toiletries and a good range of Henry Carter ties some of which aren't available from Jason anymore - Richard (the owner) is a great guy
Make an appointment to check out P Johnson in South Melbourne just to get a feel for the place and also check out their range of ties, pocket handkerchiefs and Fox umbrellas - Matt and Tom are very friendly and the place is beautiful
MJ Bale to meet Paolo and Tom

Thats the usual list we'd do on a day out. A good list - if you plan it out well with a map you can easily get around by tram and walking (and don't forget your Myki card!)- f'rinstance BMT and Azzaro are in the same street and P (P for Pitti) Johnston is just around the corner.

No harm in a quick run through of DJs and Myers - opposite each other. Myers new layout lets you get through in 10 mins. The advantage of DJs and Myers is you get to see what all the brands are on about - thus saving you visiting a brand shop. Zara is next door to them but hardly worth a visit for yourself - just worth it to have a squiz at whats going on in hyper 2013 retail.

Sometimes Sarti(?) in Lonsdale(?) is worth a squiz. You should put McClouds Shoes on your list. Nothing spectacular but a good range of Loakes in the more conservative styles, a few other brands and a big range of Churches.

Coffee at Captains of Industry down that end of town is nice and has a bit of shoes and barber and stuff and typical Melb. Theres a large shoe/sneaker/boot shop down that end In Little Burke I think.

You might get a free coffee upstairs at Harrolds if it isn't too busy - but you wont buy anything unless you cant be bothered tearing up your $100 notes yourself.

Up near American Tailors the best place to have coffee - especially on a rainy Melb Friday night - is Pellegrini's - a must to sit a the shelf and look at others in the mirror by yourself. Note - Its the best place to have a coffee - not the best coffee . Paper Back Book shop just next door is open till 12 most nights - a good selection. Down one of those lanes there is that shirt guy??

If you are not a Melbourneite - or even if you are - wander through the lanes to get across blocks - get down to Basement Records in ?? Lane - if its a Friday lunch time they often have a free live band playing. The new hip(ster) clothes and such shops are mainly in Little Flinders (?) above Swanston. Worth a wander.

Roccos ?? - don't bother - a sad shadow of its former glory - this is from someone who had shoes from the Original Rocco.

After 11pm up the top end of town the Supper Club is worth having a short snort.

If you have time or are up that way - its worth having a look in Bonapartes (or s it Napoleons?) in Lygon street - small mens clothes shop with good trousers and best range of sport coats in Melbourne. Open Sundays and most nights till 7 I think. Do not eat at any of the tourist/suburbanite traps Italian restaurants in Lygon street - unless its Universita - near the clothes shop - the only one that is ok.

Want a meal after 12am in town - the classic Melbourne Supper Inn - upstairs in Chinatown till 3am I think - A wide range of people - simple tacky decor - good food packed.

Ralph Lauren on Collins is worth a quick walk through and opposite is a smallish R M Williams store.

The MJ BALE is on a small lane off Collins

Cheers for the detailed notes fxh, much appreciated. Where would you recommend for good espresso? Is there a Melbourne preference for roasts? Dark/light etc.
That's a shame about Rocco's, I'd read so much about it and was really excited to go. I might pop in anyway and have a look around.

Thanks again!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent suggestion on Supper Inn - decor looks like it hasn't changed since the 70's but the food is good. The rumour goes that when the other Chinese restaurants close for the night, the chefs go there for their er, supper. There's often a queue to get in but I reckon it's worth it,

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm on Hacko's mailing list, but I find his prices to be very close to price for new US stock. What did you get from him?

A gold 1960ish jlc memovox

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers for the detailed notes fxh, much appreciated. Where would you recommend for good espresso? Is there a Melbourne preference for roasts? Dark/light etc.
That's a shame about Rocco's, I'd read so much about it and was really excited to go. I might pop in anyway and have a look around.

Thanks again!

Honestly most Melb coffee is good - especially down lanes in hole in the wall places. Oh and the real melb drink is the piccolo latte in a thimble!

Its really worth doing some lanes - with a Melb person who knows them. If by yourself I'd recommend the lane opposite the old Australia Hotel that goes through to Flinders street station - Theres shops upstairs and bars too if you look carefully - forget the name of these lanes.?? Just nearby off Swanston is the Nicholas Building - well worth wandering through, galleries, small shops, artisans, jewelry, Kimonos, poetry book shop. second hand clothes etc

A cup of Tea and cake at the tea rooms (name?) in the arcade is good . I forget the name s of the lanes and arcades - I just know them well.

NB:: The Supper Inn isn't The SUPPER Club. I suppose for a bit of older hip Melbourne (so 2009 nowdays) - the container/packing case bar on the vacant block off china town is worth a beer. I think Shanghai Dumpling is still the go to for cheap dumplings?

Naka - truely - unless you are out Malvern way its a waste of time going to Roccos. I don't really think his son has an interest in shoes - in my book.

Where will you be based? The thing is in melb - each micro area has its own attractions and hidden gems - you can stay very local - like within a few blocks of anywhere and have a good time

- Holidays or work? by yourself? -

We can map out each day for you............................................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads