• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noblesse

Reaction score
Hi all,

These are my Loake Churchill's:

Can anyone diagnose what might have caused the wrinkling/lumps on the side? They are relatively new (bought in Feb), rotated daily and always shoe tree'ed when not in use. I noticed the wrinkling particularly after getting rather thick topy's put on. I have another pair in Brown, without topy's which have not wrinkled - although the leather feels very different.

Thank you.

MickyD

Reaction score
so is the guy interviewed in The Age 'M' magazine (Christian Remrod) anyone on here? Pocket Square, C&J's, etc. etc.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off to the Mornington Peninsula for a Mothers Day lunch.

Jacket: Hermes cashmere (op shop find)
Square: Mysore Saree Udyog
Shirt: Cucinelli
Scarf: origin lost in the mists of time
Belt: Andrea Zoli
Pants: Antichi Telai
Socks: Paul Smith
Shoes: Loake Chester

7ca849e7-011e-a981.jpg

7ca849e7-012f-2a42.jpg

Have a great Mothers Day all!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi all,

These are my Loake Churchill's:

Can anyone diagnose what might have caused the wrinkling/lumps on the side? They are relatively new (bought in Feb), rotated daily and always shoe tree'ed when not in use. I noticed the wrinkling particularly after getting rather thick topy's put on. I have another pair in Brown, without topy's which have not wrinkled - although the leather feels very different.

Thank you.

I believe the topy causes this ... The combination of topy and the adhesive changes the flex and results in uneven moisture i.e. stays damp closer to the topy and dries at the top.... Eventually ull notice the sole layers begin to split.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe the topy causes this ... The combination of topy and the adhesive changes the flex and results in uneven moisture i.e. stays damp closer to the topy and dries at the top.... Eventually ull notice the sole layers begin to split.

send me some of your drugs, please. ty

Naka

Reaction score

I think the added thickness of the topy would change how the shoe flexes and results in unusual creasing, but the portion of your post regarding moisture seems irrelevant to me.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the added thickness of the topy would change how the shoe flexes and results in unusual creasing,

+1

but the portion of your post regarding moisture seems irrelevant to me.

this, just read his sermon on shoes above and you're set. i want his drugs, though.

Noblesse

Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone. At least I learned my lesson about topy soles before I got Carmina's.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey fritzl, what you doing over here? It's Australia, not Austria!.

good advice is always needed.

Anyway saved me from a Topy rant. Thanks.

you're welcome. btw, checked fnb after several months. definitly a mistake. you know who i'm talking about.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for your input everyone. At least I learned my lesson about topy soles before I got Carmina's.

nothing wrong with topy and the creasing isn't offensive to me. the cobbler needs to adjust the thickness of the topy, though.

tbh, why do you guys buy leather soled shoes instead of rubber just to have them topied? makes no sense, imo. does it.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I think the added thickness of the topy would change how the shoe flexes and results in unusual creasing, but the portion of your post regarding moisture seems irrelevant to me.

Just an observation rather than fact re moisture. Perhaps its just the rate of wear, but by the time you are adding topy your upper would be worn in and flexible and then then topy thickens/stiffens the sole so the soft upper will crease easily when worn while the sole will never "loosen" up as its synthetic.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fritzl - you know shooey is my mate and a good bloke.

Topy does not hurt your shoes. It can't.

I have over 25 pairs of shoes with Topy. No problems.

Have been using Topy for years and years.

There nothing mystical about leather, or it wearing, or you slipping arse over tit on marbled foyers in your suit or slipping over on footpaths without Topy.

Given there's only about two people in Australia who can properly repair Goodyear shoes it doesn't make any sense not to Topy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads