Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey my brother (who lives in Canberra) needs a new pair of jeans. I'm trying to steer him towards something SF approved (selvedge, raw, indigo, straight leg etc.). What brands are available in Canberra that would fit the bill? Thanks

3. DeepBlu

DeepBlu Member

sigh double post =(

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. DeepBlu

DeepBlu Member

Good to see some smart dress from the investment community, Romp.

Makes a nice change from all the ill-fitting black suits and terrible shoes that can be seen at most briefings/meetings.

[​IMG]

5. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

is it really that important to get SF approved jeans? i reckon if the price is right and the fit is good then its good enough :)

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I know DJ's carry Nudie jeans and maybe a couple of other 'names' and there is G Star Raw store. There is always 501 and other traditional brands, Wrangler, Lee and even (gasp) Amco.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Don't know about Canberra, but I noticed Chaddy DJs now carries True Religion also.

8. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Yeah ive got two pairs of carminas and c&j belgraves that ill do a compario to when they arrive!

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hey Romp, looking forward to reading your comparison. By the way, I'm really enjoying your tumblr.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Got mine from G Star. Slim, medium rise and dark raw but not stiff like cardboard. My perfect jeans.

11. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Romp! whats the quality like on carmina's to Handgrade C&J?

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Thanks. Tricky question to answer quickly as they are both great shoes so bear with me as i explain away :)

On quality alone I prefer the belgraves. But bear in mind now that p.lal has no stock, c&j handgrade will set you back $650-700 here whereas the carminas both cost me about $400-450 a pair (i got one pair from a guy some of you may recognise at the armoury in hk called Ethan and the other pair at the Carmina store in Paris outside the Louvre).

For my foot the 337 last is much more comfy than either of the carminas.

The carmina quality still looks great but i find them overly stiff ... The c&j broke in quicker and better. They also have developed a nicer patina over time although please not that ive had them for a couple years longer than the carminas.

My carminas are in two lasts. The original Simpson last and the Robert last.
    The Simpson is rakish, perhaps overly rakish and leaning more towards fashion than elegance. Im a 9uk in the 337 and i should have perhaps gone for a 9.5uk in the simpson as it fits extremly tight across the vamp. Apparently this has been somewhat addressed in a revised simpson last (a couple mm makes a big diff)

The Robert last in a 9uk fits me perfect in the front of the shoe but now that they have broken in the heel is slipping. If I could create an ideal carmina last for my foot id do the Robert front and Simpson heel (some say i should try the Rain last)

Longevity and wearin wise, you can tell the leathers used on both are of high quality and reform well leaving the shoe trees in. The pointier shape on the carminas and my tendancy to toe roll meant that i have had to add some steel toe caps (within a month of infrequent wear i noticed significant wear on the toe edge of both my carminas. Not so evident on the c&j). If you get MTO carminas id definitely recommend getting the toe caps!

The stitching and edging of the shoes id give a slight edge again to the belgraves. Overall finish is just that bit better imo. I also believe longevity wise the belgraves will last longer and perhaps justifies its premium on this fact alone.

That said, there is nothing close to Carminas quality wise here in Oz at that price point. Personally i struggle with the fit hence why im trialling the meermins this time (even cheaper price point) as i need some decent everyday shoes until I make my way up to a pairof Cleverlys:)

Hope that helps rather than making it more cnfusing?

Cheers
    Rob

13. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Thanks Gerry!

14. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Thanks Romp much appreciated, I'm also looking forward to your review of the Meermins as I think I'm going to get my first pair of Double monks from them.

Cheers again for the review!

15. Noblesse

Noblesse Member

Double post, sorry.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.