• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pink Socks.
There's a Scot guy runs a big Scot shop in Whitehorse road Balwyn. My scots nephew hired the full wedding get up, kilt, ghillies, socks jacket forna wedding last year. The bloke has a big range of gear for hire or buy and I assume he'd know about alterations etc.

Thank you fxh - I will look into that. Appreciate your knowledge.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any brisbanites going to the herringbone mto opening?

Ruzzi, I should be there for at least a little while, and I know of one or two other SFers who will be there.

I'm not sure just how decent their MTO service will be, but it will at least be nice to meet a few other (hopefully) well-dressed Brisbanites.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

I ordered a few pairs from there (about 8), the OTC ones should be called OTK... they are LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG. The shorter ones are an OK length, but none of them wash well, and in fact putting them in the dryer pretty much wrecked them (though I think they specifically recommend against dryers). WOFTAM in my opinion....

Never found them to be too long? Could it be because you're SHHHHHHOOOORRRTTTTT?

Last batch I got were a definite drop in quality from previous orders and I won't be ordering them again

couleur

Reaction score

It would be great if you could give some feedback on your experience with each. I have a jacket I need altered for my wedding back in Scotland next year. I have lost some weight and it is now too big. It is a kilt jacket, so not easy to get another made up here (and expensive to get another one, and difficult due to time and distance restraints).
I too am looking for a tailor who knows how is should look without need strict instructions and can alter accordingly. I am thinking of getting Tom at P Johnson Tailors to help me out if possible, so may end up using Quar's suggestion of Elite in Richmond but this might not be an option and your feedback of your experience would be really useful. Agree about Katrina's - can do the job but need to be very clear on what you want, and well price (had a couple shirtsleeves overshortened last time though).
There is a good list of new tailors to try for Melbourne in this thread now and it would be great to have some recently experienced knowledge of service, quality and price (not the most important issue but usefully when making a decision).
I can add that Chronic Fix on Greville Street, Prahran had done some good alterations on jeans and odd trousers that were too big for me recently. Service a little abrupt (but that could just be my British sensibilities), prices a little high and not too clear until order picked up - though someone said there is a price list in the window so must look next time (selvedge jeans significantly and well altered in waist, rear and leg - $50, 2 pair of trousers altered in waist and pair of selvedge jeans altered in waist, leg and length - $110) and shop and changing area a little cramped. Turnaround time usually pretty good and have been happy with the results so would use again if item was worth the cost. May end up using for jacket (though not tried anything but trousers/jeans so far) but am keen to know other options.

For my experience, I had only tasted 3 different tailors in Melbourne. Two of them in which I have invested most and yet the results are still so so.

Expert Alterations - Makes good fitting for shirts, quality of work is quite good but sometimes they make mistakes, i'm thinking because they receive huge amount of work, some of their tailors don't really effort in small details, even though I told them they can take as long as they want. I no longer go back there since the Italian lady overcharges me all the time.

Fitting a shirt, - $25++
Fitting a vest or waistcoat - $45++
Shorten pants - $20
Fitting a suit, only taking the back - $80++

I was then recommended by one of the members to try Sam at Myer, Docklands. His prices are very reasonable, but I don't quite trust him when he touches my suits and sport coats. His workmanship is "Okay", not as perfect but still acceptable. He can do whatever I request to him since i'm a picky person and he will try as hard as possible to alter my clothes. I once have him a challenge to alter a size 50 Polo Ralph Lauren Suede sport coat to a size 48 and he did it. But then he told me he will never do it for anyone else anymore as it wasn't easy to work with the material. :embar:

Fitting a shirt, - $25, If you want a size down it will cost around $40-50 (eg, sz 16 to 15.5 or 15)
Fitting a sweater, - $25-30
Fitting a waistcoat - $45
Shorten pants - $15
Extending length of pants with false hem - $20-25
Slim fit pants/jeans - $40 (if including making the waist smaller its 45)
Alter waist making pants smaller or bigger - $25
Fitting a suit, taking from the sides only - $60++
Fitting a suit, taking the shoulder and sides - $120++

Somehow I just felt some of my suits and sports coats dont look right with the fitting. I'm not sure whether he did it the right way, not until I try the others. But if you're looking for someone to shorten the pants, it will only cost $15 bucks which is the lowest from my experience. You will also need to tell him how you want it to fit.

I am going to Katrina tomorrow with a half a dozen of shirts and see how she charges me. Hopefully 15 each :revolve:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to the requests for experiences of tailoring/adjustments, I'd like to add mine.

I've used, and continue to use, a woman named Ina who runs a business called Uno's Mode inside the building near the Haigh's Chocolate at the top end of Collins Street. I've been satisfied with the results on the majority of garments. What I've discovered, however, is that her own quality of work is much better than her employees. In fact, I suspect this to be the case with most alterations places. Ultimately, I think you need to be firm about what you want and have a good idea of what that is so you can communicate it effectively.

I've also used a place inside GPO on Level 3 or 4, basically you take an elevator up and if you've selected the correct floor, then you'll exit the elevator into the shop. I can't remember her or his name, but it's an old European couple and they did a very good job on my first 'expensive' suit. I was not very knowledgeable about suiting at the time and so I went by brand, over anything else, and had many alterations done to a Hugo Boss suit my parents bought me as a birthday present. The alterations were extensive - taking the jacket in through the side seams, slimming the jacket sleeves, tapering the trousers, taking in the seat and consequently adjusting the trouser rise. Although, I wouldn't be seen dead in the suit now because I favour an altogether different aesthetic, it does "fit" well, just not to my preference.

I've also used a place in Hughesdale near where I live called Roger's Tailoring. I was happy with the work Roger himself did on a number of my garments, but they did make small mistakes or do things you didn't want them to do. For example, on a jacket that needed one button shank sewn on, they removed all buttons and sewed them on tightly and because they'd "done the work", I had to pay for all three buttons. The turning point though was when I took them a pair of jeans to be tapered from the inseam and hemmed. They tapered them, but did not hem them. I had paid for the job upfront which I often do, and after having brought about 10-12 items for tailoring over 4 months, told them I wasn't concerned about the jeans not being hemmed, but asked that they please credit the cost of that job to a more extensive jacket alteration I needed done. I thought my request was reasonable given my pattern of repeat custom, but they flat out told me that it was their "policy" not to credit in any form and that the money spent would not be refunded, but they would hem the jeans for me, which I no longer wanted anyway.

I haven't been back, and don't intend to go back. I'd put several hundreds of dollars into their business and they had come to know me, but decided that "policy' must prevail and so they have my $25 bucks, and I cuff my long jeans..

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, they also fucked up the functional buttonholes on one of my jacket alterations. Hmm, remind me never to go there again!

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever bought/tried on/seen Howard Yount stuff?

They look like very good value for money if they do fit well.

giangc

Reaction score
Popped by PJ Tailors to commission a navy DB blazer - cotton, half-lined, handstitching, patch pockets, soft shoulders. Very excited! Also managed to pick up a camo pocket square and a green drakes knit tie while I was there.

In other related news, the last time I went to get a suit tailored I took it to Uno's Mode on Collins St. via recommendation of a friend who says that they do fantastic shortening of the jacket body. I had to be a bit firm with how short I wanted things but everything turned out fantastically. The waist feels especially nice.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, they also fucked up the functional buttonholes on one of my jacket alterations. Hmm, remind me never to go there again!

I bought a pair of trousers which ended up being too small through the thighs. It seems to be made for thin shorter men, which I think off memory Jamison the owner is close to so no surprise there, why wouldn't you make them to fit your shape if it's your company. If your tall like me forget about cuffs as the length is only 36 inches unfinished. Jackets are also very short (I'm 6"2 bear in mind). But the trousers were very well made I must admit.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair of trousers which ended up being too small through the thighs. It seems to be made for thin shorter men, which I think off memory Jamison the owner is close to so no surprise there, why wouldn't you make them to fit your shape if it's your company. If your tall like me forget about cuffs as the length is only 36 inches unfinished. Jackets are also very short (I'm 6"2 bear in mind). But the trousers were very well made I must admit.

Thanks! Yeah, they certainly do look well made in the pictures, as much as something like that can translate. I'm 6'1 myself and so am a little concerned about jacket length - they appear to button high as well, and without trying one on, it's likely going to end up costing me more money than it's worth in pursuit of a good deal.

The trousers I think I'll get, not sure that I'll be able to get my standard 6cm cuffs though :(

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Popped by PJ Tailors to commission a navy DB blazer - cotton, half-lined, handstitching, patch pockets, soft shoulders. Very excited! Also managed to pick up a camo pocket square and a green drakes knit tie while I was there.

In other related news, the last time I went to get a suit tailored I took it to Uno's Mode on Collins St. via recommendation of a friend who says that they do fantastic shortening of the jacket body. I had to be a bit firm with how short I wanted things but everything turned out fantastically. The waist feels especially nice. 

Haha, Ina comes around, eventually. I had to be firm at the start, but now I don't even have to ask for things - she can half-read my mind. It's nice.

Hope the commission turns out exactly as you want it. When's it due back?

MickyD

Reaction score

Never found them to be too long? Could it be because you're SHHHHHHOOOORRRTTTTT?

depends if you call 6'1" short.....

I just don't like really long socks, I don't like the way they grab your pants when you stand up after sitting down and vice-versa.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Yeah, they certainly do look well made in the pictures, as much as something like that can translate. I'm 6'1 myself and so am a little concerned about jacket length - they appear to button high as well, and without trying one on, it's likely going to end up costing me more money than it's worth in pursuit of a good deal.
The trousers I think I'll get, not sure that I'll be able to get my standard 6cm cuffs though :(

Too true and also bear in mind they don't do international returns either, so if it's wrong your stuck with it. I offloaded my trou off to another aussie member fairly easily but a jacket could be a different and much more expensive story!

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Has anyone here ever bought/tried on/seen Howard Yount stuff?
They look like very good value for money if they do fit well.

I actually just received an order form Howard Yount.

The pants are a bit snug (I overestimated my weight losing capability) but they should fit perfectly in a month or 2. While I haven't worn them yet the quality seems very high. Great buttons, fastening and a nice thick waistband and definitely a slim cut. Beautiful wool that is very close to the colours on his website.

On socks I also got some cotton OTC ones in the same order. The quality and fit (they even make it over my giant calves) is fantastic , as you would expect from Marcoliani, and the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads