• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Out of interest, what would I expect to pay (full price) for a Herringbone suit? The website is quite unhelpful in this regard.

They have one suit in stock at present, a light grey, flannel-like cloth, for $860.
The "core" suiting, which typically consists of a navy, herringbone weave suit and a grey suit, are $995 each.
Then there are quite a few suits at prices ranging from $1195 up to somewhere around $1500, from memory.

The current season's suits include three different three-piece suits, which is nice.

Originally Posted by jaypee
Someone let me know how the herringbone sale is if anyone goes.
I really dont need anything, but if CJs are discounted at all i will be leaving work in a flash

The sale was good.
The discount was 45% (30% + 15%) with the "VIP" voucher so I was able to purchase a $189 shirt for $103.

Shirts and ties are 30% off during the rest of the sale. Apart from the core suits that I mentioned above and about two other suits, all suits and odd jackets are 20% off (plus the extra 15% today only - stores are open until 7pm tonight, I believe).

I did not ask, but I assume that C&Js are not part of the sale - I would be very, very surprised if they were as the old Cheaney for Herringbone shoes virtually never went on sale.

ricotta

Reaction score
it's more like 41% off..

(1 - 0.30)*(1 - 0.15) = (1 - 0.405)

and yes, it was good. if you got 5 shirts that would've set you back just $85 per shirt.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJs not on sale.. dirty

The SA at Chatswood was umm'ing and arr'ing and then a more knowledge girl came over (damn her) and informed him they weren’t!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
it's more like 41% off..

(1 - 0.30)*(1 - 0.15) = (1 - 0.405)

and yes, it was good. if you got 5 shirts that would've set you back just $85 per shirt.

I think that this is the third time that I've said this in the past 24 hours, but the VIP sale was a genuine 45% off, as the shop assistants simply added the additional 15% to the generally available 30% to obtain 45%, and then applied that as a discount.

As an example, the shirt that I bought was priced at $189.
I paid $103.95 for it - which is 55% of $189. Given that 100 - 55 = 45, I received a 45% discount.

I really hope that is not too difficult to understand - not that it matters anymore, as the offer finished at 7pm today.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
They have one suit in stock at present, a light grey, flannel-like cloth, for $860.
I saw that before I left for Perth and nearly bought it. Very nice.

The sale was good.

ffffuuuu.gif

ricotta

Reaction score
I think that this is the third time that I've said this in the past 24 hours, but the VIP sale was a genuine 45% off, as the shop assistants simply added the additional 15% to the generally available 30% to obtain 45%, and then applied that as a discount.

I paid $103.95 for it - which is 55% of $189. Given that 100 - 55 = 45, I received a 45% discount.

I really hope that is not too difficult to understand - not that it matters anymore, as the offer finished at 7pm today.

not difficult to understand at all - it just seems your outlet is applying a different formula. the one i went to applied it exactly as i described. mm.. ah well.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
They have one suit in stock at present, a light grey, flannel-like cloth, for $860. The "core" suiting, which typically consists of a navy, herringbone weave suit and a grey suit, are $995 each. Then there are quite a few suits at prices ranging from $1195 up to somewhere around $1500, from memory. The current season's suits include three different three-piece suits, which is nice.
Damn! I am in the market for a navy three piece suit! Couldn't get out to a store today as I was completely flat out at work. Its a shame that they don't include their suit range on their web site, as I keep hearing great things about their suits (particularly on this forum), however it seems that they only have two stores in Melbourne. I have popped my head into the Collins Place store, I am assuming that the other Collins St store would be better to check out?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must have got ripped off then as I bought a $399 cashmere sweater for $237 - 30% off the full price ($279.30), then 15% off that price = $237.41.

Obviously the HB sales assistants were as confused as we seem to be on the forum about how the discount should have been applied!
laugh.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Lot's of new aussie members here lately I see, keep it up!

Is it just me or is the standard of dress in this country getting just that little bit better? Perhaps it's the seasonal thing where people are more interested in looking good during the cooler months, rather than focussing on comfort and 'fitting in' with the unwashed masses? Or perhaps it is the unabashed influence of the Australian Styleforum contingent?

I've noticed particularly that the proliferation of better quality shoes has increased, from 0.001% of the male population, to about 0.005%... maybe it's the strong Aussie battler?

What are you guys seeing - are Aussie men on the whole better dressed lately? I don't know about Campbelltown but in the city centre I think it's the case.

Veefy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Is it just me or is the standard of dress in this country getting just that little bit better? Perhaps it's the seasonal thing where people are more interested in looking good during the cooler months, rather than focussing on comfort and 'fitting in' with the unwashed masses? Or perhaps it is the unabashed influence of the Australian Styleforum contingent?

I've noticed particularly that the proliferation of better quality shoes has increased, from 0.001% of the male population, to about 0.005%... maybe it's the strong Aussie battler?

What are you guys seeing - are Aussie men on the whole better dressed lately? I don't know about Campbelltown but in the city centre I think it's the case.

I see a few better dressed types around West Perth. Still the exception rather than the norm. For people who I come into contact with at work still tends to be the older generation who are better dressed and as the mining sector is more traditional and conservative this makes sense.

Their is a fair amount of "new" money around West Perth if the number of Porsche's and the occasional Aston Martin seen are any indication. However most of the people I meet tend to be mining industry people who tend to be less well dressed than other corporate types.
When I visit the accounting firms down on St Georges Terrace the dress standard is noticeably better...
laugh.gif

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
I think Australian's have always and will always dress better in winter than in summer - It's true for women as much as men.

In summer, there's too much of board shorts/singlets/thongs style that permeates culture, like summer is an excuse not to try.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Veefy
I see a few better dressed types around West Perth. Still the exception rather than the norm. For people who I come into contact with at work still tends to be the older generation who are better dressed and as the mining sector is more traditional and conservative this makes sense.

Their is a fair amount of "new" money around West Perth if the number of Porsche's and the occasional Aston Martin seen are any indication. However most of the people I meet tend to be mining industry people who tend to be less well dressed than other corporate types.
When I visit the accounting firms down on St Georges Terrace the dress standard is noticeably better...
laugh.gif

The mining sector is a worry - despite the fact these guys make squillions they seem to think that Rodd & Gunn polo shirts and chinos are business wear, even if they work exclusively in an office they still dress like miners at an outback D&D.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 I think you're right. In Sydney today (man, the weather was atrocious), I noticed quite a lot of well dressed men braving the conditions as I was. One in particular looked as though he stepped straight from a Savile Row bespoke tailor. I must say, I was quite impressed with what I say today. I think there definitely is an improvement with how we're dressing.

mrbig

Reaction score
The mining sector is a worry - despite the fact these guys make squillions they seem to think that Rodd & Gunn polo shirts and chinos are business wear, even if they work exclusively in an office they still dress like miners at an outback D&D.

Hey; I saw footage of Andy Forrest dressed very nicely even when he was out on the mines! When I met him at a school function; he seemed to be in full bespoke (complete with spalla camicia) but typically in rm williams!. In short: Bespoke open-weave single breasted suit, RMW Craftsman's (co-incidentally I was wearing the same), 18kYG rolex president, Bespoke Shirt that looked like a T&A funnily enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads