• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Next Oz meet up, can everyone sport a burgundy knit tie? It would be hilariously **** and cool at the same time.

I didn't buy one. I feel so left out. :(

Are there any in the current sale? If there are I will go there right now.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not surprised it occurs, just surprised at quite how blatant it is. I mean, they could have changed any number of things to make it a bit different. Instead they went for the bold choice of 'a slight border'
I have a TF I picked up at a discount store in NYC earlier this year and I'd say the quality doesn't quite compare. The R&B ones aren't near as smooth, well finished and dyed as it is.
They're still not bad though.

Guess I'm not even surprised at that, given the what I've heard about their tactics.

On a recent visit, one of their staff members, whom I actually think is a decent guy, was bad-mouthing Patrick Johnson to no end; very strange and unusually aggressive behaviour it was.

Not a bad place to pick up a deal or two when sale time comes around however...

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Guess I'm not even surprised at that, given the what I've heard about their tactics.
On a recent visit, one of their staff members, whom I actually think is a decent guy, was bad-mouthing Patrick Johnson to no end; very strange and unusually aggressive behaviour it was.
Not a bad place to pick up a deal or two when sale time comes around however...

Seems odd, what exactly did the guy gave to say about Patrick Johnson? It's a bit of a different approach than what Christian takes at Herringbone as he always mentions Tom and P.Johnson positively.

In my mind it speaks to the way you see your company within a market. It's a more traditional view of 'Us versus Them' whereas I think in industries which service people who are more hobbyists than traditional customers a more positive attitude among competitors is much more appealing.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems odd, what exactly did the guy gave to say about Patrick Johnson? It's a bit of a different approach than what Christian takes at Herringbone as he always mentions Tom and P.Johnson positively.
In my mind it speaks to the way you see your company within a market. It's a more traditional view of 'Us versus Them' whereas I think in industries which service people who are more hobbyists than traditional customers a more positive attitude among competitors is much more appealing.

Agreed.

Massimo, Herringbone's new MTO tailor and an all-round nice guy, complimented my grey PoW check P Johnson suit even though it wasn't Herringbone. Then again, Massimo is a tailor and more to the point, like us, he's a sartorial enthusiast.

Ditto with Charles Nakhle, who then started recommending Patrick to his clients.

The guy at Harrolds OTOH kept going on and on about rumours that he'd heard concerning Patrick, and insinuated that he couldn't be trusted, but surprise, surprise, would not tell me specifically why this was so. Definitely Us Vs Them, I'd say, and in an unscrupulous way. I was wearing my french navy twill P Johnson suit, which prolly didn't help matters much. :D

The way Harrolds prices its wares though, I'm not surprised they feel threatened. Over-the-top-expensive for 99% of what they sell.

Like I said, go only at sale time.

__PG__

Reaction score

I didn't buy one. I feel so left out. :(
Are there any in the current sale? If there are I will go there right now.

Yes there were still loads at luncthime when I went. No pocket squares though.

I succumed to the Oxford sale at the Spencer St store (which is now an outlet again) and bought a purple micro-check casual short for $35. They also had a darted slim-fit white linen shirt for $25, something I've been keepnig an eye out for a while. I think I'll get that next week.

Re : Harrolds. It's funny how you hear things through the grapevine. As other people have pointed out, those in the industry will always say complementary things about a quality product (even if it isn't theirs) and Melbourne is a very small place. I found out a few weeks ago that Sebastian from American tailors knows Luciano Azzaro quite well (not surprising as they have both been in the Melbourne rag trade for years).

But there does seem to be a pattern developing that you won't find many other people in the industry who say nice things about the Harrolds organisation.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Okay I just went to R&B sale.

Did I get the right one? There were 2 burgundy knits so I just got the one I liked more.

lennier

Reaction score

Okay I just went to R&B sale.
Did I get the right one? There were 2 burgundy knits so I just got the one I liked more.

Strictly speaking the 'official' one (as I'll call it, since I started the nonsense :) ) was the plain one, but I think variants are acceptable. I got the navy/red version of that one today, too.

MickyD

Reaction score

. I got the navy/red version of that one today, too.

I've got that too.

As for starting rumors about the unreliability and dogyness of a tailor in Melbourne, I've got a story to tell, but this isn't the place.....:hide:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok here are some detailed shots of my Antichi Telai linen suit
Pick stitching around the lapels
IMG_0281.jpg

Lapel buttonhole
IMG_0283.jpg

Collar finishing
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Jacket buttonholes
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Inner pockets
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Trousers (I've ripped off the top button and it needs re-sewing. I'm pretty sure the models at Azzaro now have a zip fly)
IMG_0294.jpg

Dodgy fit pics (note roped shoulders) - Jacket open
IMG_0292.jpg

Jacket buttoned
IMG_0293.jpg

Great suit and ze damage is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads