• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like these -

I see you

and raise you in the exotics stakes

My immediate boss at The Treasury had some Stingray cowboy boots he had made in Thailand not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

blake91

Reaction score
Those are also really nice! Do you know what brands they are the ones that you
Posted?
And is there a best brand for shoes?
I've been looking at the high end shoes and I'm wanting to make some calls
But I want to narrow my list down a bit.
When price is no issue what is the best? Croc or no croc or part croc
For my wedding :).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see you

and raise you in the exotics stakes

My immediate boss at The Treasury had some Stingray cowboy boots he had made in Thailand not my cup of tea.

Im surprised that the shoes dont have the "eye" patch somewhere on it that eveyone love to include on everything ray.

eljimberino

Reaction score
@blake91

Have you been reading through the rest of the forum threads about shoes? You don't have to keep asking here the same questions. The answers you are looking for are in the search function.

Let me say this however. A few guys have bitten your trolling a few times and given you very knowledgable answers. In short, do not wear croc to your wedding.

Your tastes will change.

In two months you may hate the look of croc.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now you've done it, bringing up dog eating.

Whale tenpura isnt bad either.

I must admit that I have eaten whale once, just for the experience of trying it. Also, it was served while I was staying in an expensive ryokan (Japanese inn) in Kyoto and the food was included with the room. There were no menu choices - you were simply brought a multi-course kaiseki meal for breakfast and dinner - and whale was included with dinner one evening. If I had to describe it, I'd say that it was a rather unappetising cross between tuna and chewy beef. I've never been tempted to try it again.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must admit that I have eaten whale once, just for the experience of trying it. Also, it was served while I was staying in an expensive ryokan (Japanese inn) in Kyoto and the food was included with the room. There were no menu choices - you were simply brought a multi-course kaiseki meal for breakfast and dinner - and whale was included with dinner one evening. If I had to describe it, I'd say that it was a rather unappetising cross between tuna and chewy beef. I've never been tempted to try it again.
Anyone tried fugu? A cross between chicken and fish. Interesting but once is enough. Also first time in Tokyo, at an izakaya in Shinjuku: Me: "Miss, excuse me, can you tell me what is that dish on the next table?" Waitress: "Oh, that white thing with soy and shallots? That is tofu." Me: "Excellent. Please bring me one. Plus some more Hakkasan." It was not tofu. Tasted good, but cholesterol laden. Found out next day at the fish market that it was fish guts.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can totally see that waitress snickering with the other restaurant staff out the back about some stupid gaijin.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried fugu? A cross between chicken and fish. Interesting but once is enough.

Also first time in Tokyo, at an izakaya in Shinjuku:

Me: "Miss, excuse me, can you tell me what is that dish on the next table?"
Waitress: "Oh, that white thing with soy and shallots? That is tofu."
Me: "Excellent. Please bring me one. Plus some more Hakkasan."

It was not tofu. Tasted good, but cholesterol laden. Found out next day at the fish market that it was fish guts.

I quite like fugu, but don't feel much need to seek it out. It's also usually quite expensive, due to the need to prepare it very carefully.

Fish guts? I'm intrigued!

Do you mean shiokara? It usually tastes pretty disgusting, but it's a very popular dish to eat while drinking sake. There are several varieties, but one of the most popular is ika no shiokara, or fermented squid guts. I can't really tolerate most varieties of shiokara, but shuto, or shiokara made with bonito, is perhaps the most palatable.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the taste compared with say...sea urchin/uni?

I am very much intrigued.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I quite like fugu, but don't feel much need to seek it out. It's also usually quite expensive, due to the need to prepare it very carefully. 

Fish guts? I'm intrigued!

Do you mean shiokara? It usually tastes pretty disgusting, but it's a very popular dish to eat while drinking sake. There are several varieties, but one of the most popular is ika no shiokara, or fermented squid guts. I can't really tolerate most varieties of shiokara, but shuto, or shiokara made with bonito, is perhaps the most palatable. 

Lol, I was trying to be delicate and I thought tofu would be a good enough clue.

It was shirako, I think it was soft roe/milt from cod or even tuna since it was tuna season. In plain English, it was fish sperm.

Google shirako images to have a look. It was not too bad taste wise.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Croc tail is nice. I've mainly had it cooked on a teppan (Japanese hotplate) when cut into cubes.

Horse is good, although I've mainly eaten it raw, as "basashi".

Snake, as blah said, isn't so good but deep fried, crispy snake skin is nice.

Lizard, when cut open and grilled over the hot coals, is good and tastes like a cross between lamb and chicken.

Dog is nice grilled but not as good when stewed, although that might also have something to do with the people making the stew.

I've never had ostrich, but wasn't such a fan of emu. 

I had ostrich in South Africa years ago. Very rich and gamey. The ostrich egg omelette ditto.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Im surprised that the shoes dont have the "eye" patch somewhere on it that eveyone love to include on everything ray.

Funnily enough I think the "eye" patch ruins the look of the ray skin tiny tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members