• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out Azzaro today. Pretty quiet really. They still have quite a bit of Brioni and Zegna in stock, at even deeper discounts, on top of their usual Cantarelli, Canali, Verace, etc. I picked up two Brioni shirts for $150 each and a lovely Cantarelli grey linen jacket.

There was still quite a few Brioni and Zegna slacks in EU50 for $150, plus a few other odd sizes. Really big size guys will find a fair bit of EU60 Brioni strides and knitwear.

I didn't check out the suits as I'm not after one, but they still have a lot of Brioni, Zegna, Canali and Cantarelli on sale.

There is a tailor on site who will do your alterations while you wait.

Someone a while ago mentioned the hard sell, and I really did notice that at Azzaro today. They were really pushing me to buy something I knew for sure would not fit; Luciano would not take my word for it based on the tape measure, I had to get his tailor to check it because "he is the expert". Of course the tailor took one look and agreed with me. Despite the excellent value at Azzaro, I'm starting to think I may not go back.

Spandexter

Reaction score
Was in there first thing this morning and honestly there's never much in there in my size. Big gents seem to be well catered for but 38/48 and below had very slim pickings. Didn't notice any hard sell and found them all to be quite pleasant.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! I turned up to Azzaro today too. I did buy a Su Misura suit and and getting it altered there as well. price for alterations aren't bad. $50 for both taking up sleeves and pants legs finished.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wishing everyone a belated Xmas. Currently in Hong Kong.

Just ordered two shirts from Y William Yu on Mody Road. Gave them an old shirt that fits okay, and chose come fabrics from their Thomas Mason book, a sky blue oxford weave and a maroon/burgundy bold stripe. Specified cutaway collars, barrel cuffs, higher arm holes, no placket, no back pleats. Will go back for fitting in a few days, and shirts should be ready in first week of January. They are extremely busy, and they won't engage in geeky menswear chitchat.

Also checked out Boggi, and their prices even during sales are more expensive than the website. Store manager Marcello is a great guy though, so if anyone is headed over this way, seek him out.

Checked out Massimo Dutti, and they actually have some very decent blazers that fits me very well without any alterations required. I am a size 38S, and it is not easy finding my size due to my long arms but short torso (chimpanzee variant shape).

Still on a lookout for flannel pants, but no luck so far. Had a look at Cucinelli store, and prices are insane, even on sale. They have some beautiful ties, pocket squares, blazers, knits, coats, etc.

Hong Kong used to be a great place for shopping. But the boom in middle class luxury and huge Chinese tourism buying power have pushed prices of luxury brands to insane levels. For example, Loro Piana boutique is selling a cashmere blazer for HKD30000. For that price, I could get easily get the same Loro Piana fabric and get two to three blazers tailored CMT at a top tailor.

Headed to Paris in the new year, hopefully the soldes will be kind to me.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone a while ago mentioned the hard sell, and I really did notice that at Azzaro today. They were really pushing me to buy something I knew for sure would not fit; Luciano would not take my word for it based on the tape measure, I had to get his tailor to check it because "he is the expert". Of course the tailor took one look and agreed with me. Despite the excellent value at Azzaro, I'm starting to think I may not go back.

I must say the last 2 times I was there I had the same feeling. Not pleasant - especially after 5 years of going there and not getting it. I was getting pressure about a few suits and jackets that clearly didn't fit - it never used to be like that - it was so low key before and a pleasure to visit. Ms even got some v. v. nice stuff there.

I will be taking some of the women I work with, just around the corner, up there in New Year. I'll use it to check the vibe again. Such a pity*.

*Pitti

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina Tassle Loafer on the Simpson last. Fit's me a thousand times better than the Rain. 8.5UK.

Those look good!

Your comment about the fit makes sense - you have narrow feet. Lasts like Inca, Detroit, Rain and Soller will not suit your feet at all. The narrower Carmina lasts like Simpson, Alcudia and Deia would be the most appropriate.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do people manage to cater for such large groups at Christmas? Huge fridges? Double ovens?
We don't cook on Christmas Day. It is all cold cuts, salads and desserts. Our fridge, which is pretty average size, almost carked it form the overload, freezing lots of the herbs and leafy vegetables we'd planned on using. Still there were more salads than the entire crowd could eat in two days. Eskies and ice boxes are de rigeur for the drinks, so we get by all right catering for 30-40 with one fridge and one freezer.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must say the last 2 times I was there I had the same feeling. Not pleasant - especially after 5 years of going there and not getting it. I was getting pressure about a few suits and jackets that clearly didn't fit - it never used to be like that - it was so low key before and a pleasure to visit. Ms even got some v. v. nice stuff there.

I will be taking some of the women I work with, just around the corner, up there in New Year. I'll use it to check the vibe again. Such a pity*.

*Pitti

I gather that the downward pressure of price of suits in general has something to do with it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do people manage to cater for such large groups at Christmas?

Huge fridges? Double ovens?

I only had 20 this year on sunday - butterflied greek style lamb legs on BBQ. Others bring salads, sweets, cheeses, bread - we draw up a list of who brings what. Day before Ms family - at a park - up country - each brings his own there - this year they did bring stuff - years before they all got takeaways - bogan tendencies. On monday street party with street closed off and around 60 people. Good show. Kids under 12 = 26. started with street closure at 5pm. Finished at 2 am. Xmas day we went to the zoo. Lots of apes and fat elephants with tatts. The animals were interesting too. Lazing around with visitors and reading novels today. Ms working her way through all the 14 CD set of Beethoven sonatas on the best sound system. Nice small doco on ABC RN on one of the founders of SKA in Jamaica - the Australian group The Caribs. Its on podcast - do yourself a favour.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highlight was the message from Foxxy ... "Happy New Year bro ... may all your satirical (sic) dreams come true" - Loved it. Satirical dreams..
Man, I sent a few people "Happy Birthday" instead of Merry Christmas, including to Christian.

Safe to say I was pretty White Girl Wasted.

8.5 UK? Though you had massive feet fox?
So did I. Dick's still huge though.

Interesting, given that it's a narrow last and most of your earlier shoes were quite wide fitting.

Did you try on a lace-up shoe in the Simpson last, too, so as to see if there's a different in fit for your foot in a loafer as compared to a lace-up shoe?

No, I didn't, but I'm happy with this. The Rain last in 8.5 uk was too big for me.
Ive had this sweater in my wish list on Mr Porter for a while and now I want it even more! What size did yougo with? How's the fit?
Fit is great as an XS. I highly recommend. By the way, were you interested in those Herring KnightsBridge, got them here waiting for you :)

Carmina's on sale?

Yeah, $272 at American Tailors
Looking good! Did you size down for a tighter fit with the loafer?

Nah, pretty happy with it, couldn't go smaller.
Those look good!

Your comment about the fit makes sense - you have narrow feet. Lasts like Inca, Detroit, Rain and Soller will not suit your feet at all. The narrower Carmina lasts like Simpson, Alcudia and Deia would be the most appropriate.
Thanks Garry! I really love them. You're right. For some reason I though my Shortwings I had a few months back which were rain last were simpson as I was buying these.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As long as one of them was Jesus ...

Excuse me this is Style Forum not the long haired, bearded, kaftan appreciation forum. Ok so he could do a mean BBQ with the loaves and fishes but there's not one mention of bespoke tailoring in the Gospells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads