• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Melbourne gents, I just want to put a plug out there for Up There Born 2010 on McKillop St – probably more suitable for the younger guys here as they pretty much stock only SW&D style clothing. Plenty of stuff that you can’t find anywhere else to my knowledge in Melbourne.

Anyhow, the guys who run it, Brendan and James, are genuinely great guys and also helped me out in major way with the wrongly sized Clarks desert boots my brother got for me the other week. I am looking at picking up some navy PF Flyers on my next trip down.

If any of you guys are near that side of town on your lunch break, I would strongly suggest that you pop in, have a browse and a bit of a chat.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
It is to be expected, and I would say par for the course for offshore MTM. Being out by 1cm also implies a tolerance of ± 1cm, not just 2cm.
Thanks apropos, much appreciated. Yes I realise that 1cm out implies a +/- 1cm (2cm maximum variation) tolerance, hence my concern. I could possibly live with a true 1cm tolerance. So do you mean par for the offshore MTM course is a 1cm tolerance, or the apparent 2cm I am seeing? I assume this wouldn't apply to places like Patrick Johnson from what I've read, so is it just a price range issue?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Melbourne gents, I just want to put a plug out there for Up There Born 2010 on McKillop St - probably more suitable for the younger guys here as they pretty much stock only SW&D style clothing. Plenty of stuff that you can't find anywhere else to my knowledge in Melbourne.

Anyhow, the guys who run it, Brendan and James, are genuinely great guys and also helped me out in major way with the wrongly sized Clarks desert boots my brother got for me the other week. I am looking at picking up some navy PF Flyers on my next trip down.

If any of you guys are near that side of town on your lunch break, I would strongly suggest that you pop in, have a browse and a bit of a chat.

That store looked nice when I went in there. A bit pricey - there was a G4 Barracuda black - japanese made = $500.

With Clarks - their own website makes a point to mention the DBs are narrow and to order half a size up - did you find this - usually DBs ( back in the day) would be ordered half a size down as they stretched.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
That store looked nice when I went in there. A bit pricey - there was a G4 Barracuda black - japanese made = $500.

With Clarks - their own website makes a point to mention the DBs are narrow and to order half a size up - did you find this - usually DBs ( back in the day) would be ordered half a size down as they stretched.

Actually I should have credited you fxh for getting me onto them after mentioning them at the catch up. I am typically a wide 10.5 for a normal 11 - I decided to go for the 11 after all the crap that I went through just to be on the safe side.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"For the Beggar Men there’s an abundance of cut down prices on Grenson, Clae, Sebago, Generic Surplus, Feiyue, Macbeth, Vanishing Elephant and Pointer. No men’s shoes will be over $100" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone there today already?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just went - was all SW&D, no 'classic' shoes, just sneakers and the occasional chukka.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember my post last time when I told of thrifting my first ever pair of shell cordovan shoes (Aldens)?

Blow me down if I am in one of the daggiest thrifts/op shops I know where every time I go there I get a gem.

First it was a three piece Italian near new PofW suit.

Next time it is a Corneliani jacket and matching pants for a mate - ex Cutlers of Sydney.

Today I scored pair of Brooks Bros boat shoes in...wait for it...shell cordovan. A nice two tone tobacco shell (can't remember the Horween number)and a Vibram sole to boot - so no real sole wear either.

Almost indestructible combination for boat shoes. Shell would be good for waterproofing but has anyone ever seen or bought shell boat shoes?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I had thought that Cutler had a very good international reputation - in fact, he's probably better known on the Row than he is in his homeland.

Oh, I know. He's very well renowned worldwide, though I think he's better known here at home than you might think. Nevertheless, his reputation wasn't my point.

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
That said, I think you have a point in that he might find it hard to break into the Row's customer base.

Yes, that was my point.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Thanks apropos, much appreciated. Yes I realise that 1cm out implies a +/- 1cm (2cm maximum variation) tolerance, hence my concern. I could possibly live with a true 1cm tolerance.

So do you mean par for the offshore MTM course is a 1cm tolerance, or the apparent 2cm I am seeing? I assume this wouldn't apply to places like Patrick Johnson from what I've read, so is it just a price range issue?

I'm sure that's not the case with P Johnson, especially while Ethan is working there, but just keep in mind, they are offshore MTM as well.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melbourne gents, I just want to put a plug out there for Up There Born 2010 on McKillop St - probably more suitable for the younger guys here as they pretty much stock only SW&D style clothing. Plenty of stuff that you can't find anywhere else to my knowledge in Melbourne.

I second this, they're super nice guys and the shop has a lot of very cool stuff (albeit, as usual, expensive).

I also want to give McCloud's a shout out. I went in there today and had a chat with the younger guy (Paul) who works there. He sold me a locally-made horsehair brush and some French shoe wax (each $10). Then emailed them later about getting some Loakes (that I bought on Pediwear) stretched, and got an immediate response saying they would do it FREE.

The reality is I'm unlikely to ever buy shoes there, but for service like that I'm very happy to buy accessories there even at a premium. Fantastic.

stateless

Reaction score
Sweet baby jeebus.

I'm not there now, but I will be first thing Sat morning.

This is why I love this thread - awesome, timely and relevant info on great local happenings. GO TEAM!

Also, I can highly recommend Up There. Some of their stuff is a bit too fashion forward for me, but I appreciate their effort to source great items from quality labels.

Keep an eye out for their sales too, I grabbed about $1200 worth of gear for about $700 last time they had one.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went - was all SW&D, no 'classic' shoes, just sneakers and the occasional chukka.

Thanks for saving me a trip across the river then. Was hoping to grab a pair of black calf Grensons for work. Seriously need a pair of decent black beater work shoes to replace my current pair of trash and for <$200.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I'm sure that's not the case with P Johnson, especially while Ethan is working there, but just keep in mind, they are offshore MTM as well.
Yep. I've got no problem with the concept of offshore MTM, it can clearly be done well or not. PJ by all accounts is the former. I've made an appointment so we shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads