1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Good info appolyon. What does it take to set up a meeting with Stuart? Do you need a certain amount of interest/guaranteed buys?

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

What's the starting price on shirts? Do they do suits too? Looking at getting a MTM done.

Thanks for the review.

*on their website they seem to be round $100, no mention of suits though

They do a buy 3 get one free deal. The deal that I got was 4 for $450 and this gives you access to their 'black label' fabrics which include Thomas Mason and Ferno (which are probably the only ones you'd want to consider anyway). No suits though.

Good info appolyon. What does it take to set up a meeting with Stuart? Do you need a certain amount of interest/guaranteed buys?

I think you do need to show a definite interest in making a purchase, otherwise I don't think it would be worth Stuart's time to just come out and shoot the breeze with you if you know what I mean.

I had organised for me and 4 other mates to come together but 2 of them unfortunately couldn't make it. Considering all the books that Stuart brings with him and the time it takes to take measurements I think that 3 people is probably the right mix. Having said that he is happy to visit one individual customer because he's in Melbourne and its not that much of an issue.

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

The Age: Secret Haunts of a Male Shopper

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...608-1fsth.html

Who is this James Smith schmuck?

Anton's? That stuff is horrible.

Crumpler - really that is a secret to people?

Harrolds - thank you, never heard of that one before either!

Brunswick East Project - I really wish he hadn't mentioned my local coffee shop godamnit.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

The Age (and SMH) are obsessed with lists.

Research shows people like reading lists, so they cram their website and magazines with them.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

The Age: Secret Haunts of a Male Shopper http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...608-1fsth.html Who is this James Smith schmuck? Anton's? That stuff is horrible. Crumpler - really that is a secret to people? Harrolds - thank you, never heard of that one before either! Brunswick East Project - I really wish he hadn't mentioned my local coffee shop godamnit.
    I think most people are oblivious to Henry Bucks and Harrolds etc. and high end to them is anything from David Jones. And Anton's, that shop gives me shivers every time I walk past it. The decor is just so bizarre, but interesting, and sort of scary - it reminds me of a horror movie set in a very fake 'pleasant little town' in the USA where everyone is abnormally cheerful and friendly, and always carry a very artificial grin. And it would turn out that all the residents are part of some cult that butchers travelers in their sleep and offer their remains as a sacrifice to their coyote god in some sort of occult midnight orgy ceremony. That and their 5 button jackets are 'why the face'. This comment made me chuckle: "Lowes does a nice line in New South Wales -- not sure about other states. Very man-friendly. L. Beau Bendon Stretton - June 10, 2011, 12:17PM"

6. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

Most of us who have ever been close to a big city have probably heard of Henry Bucks , Harrolds etc.

But we tend to walk in there once and walk out with total sticker shock - their prices are so bad it is unbelievable.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

And Anton's, that shop gives me shivers every time I walk past it. The decor is just so bizarre, but interesting, and sort of scary - it reminds me of a horror movie set in a very fake 'pleasant little town' in the USA where everyone is abnormally cheerful and friendly, and always carry a very artificial grin. And it would turn out that all the residents are part of some cult that butchers travelers in their sleep and offer their remains as a sacrifice to their coyote god in some sort of occult midnight orgy ceremony.

Sounds like my kind of place - do they serve "single origin fair trade coffee" too?

8. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

6'3, 85 kilos and quite lean. I only think I have one shirt that fits me really nicely (an Oxford M) and everything else seems to be very puffy in the sides, oddly wraps around the front of my shoulders and has giant puffy arms. Even a Lewin John Francomb fully fitted (their closest fit) has the odd shoulders and big arms, even with the collar probably a tad too small for me.
    I'm slim but not skinny - I found the John Francomb far too loose around the upper torso, and otherwise barely a slim ft. The only shirts I've so far tried that have been truly fitted are Brooksfield slimfits. On sale, I consider them acceptable for work, for now, but will likely look at mtm/bespoke for a proper solution.

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Have you slim-fitting guys tried slim-fit (i.e. darted) Italian shirts such as Mastai Ferretti and Antichi Telai?

10. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Brisbane guys: not sure if mentioned already, but mj bale have a pop up store on Edward street under the old elio mod a building. Near the kebab shop [​IMG]. First look at mj bale and wasn't overly impressed by product or service. Theyre offering mtm as well in couple of weeks by appointment (when owner flys up). Ordered first suit from cloakroom after that. Service was great. Find out about the product in 4 weeks. Also p Johnson visits Brissie and he's back in 6 weeks. just email them to get on the list. Couldn't go with them as I'm on a tight deadline for my wedding. Yet to check out deer style but I'll get there eventually. Really want to get some shirts done there! Good to have some options in Brissie nowadays.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Try DeeR Style in Brisbane too, from SF member neyus. Supplies suits, shirts, shoes and no doubt much more.

12. johnaus

johnaus Member

Gents, I'm hoping one of you can help me out with my dilemma. Recent Grad, first 'real'? Job. Got hired based off some previous experience in a similar industry, so it isn't a graduate position. Everyone I work with dresses reasonably professionally but I'm struggling. I've been lurking the forvm for easily 2 years, but my interests are in cars and accessories, not clothes. I'm at least 6ft (Never cared enough to check how tall) and reasonably skinny, so I've tried on countless shirts at menswear stores (probably bought $500-600 worth by now [​IMG] ) and none seem to be 'long'? enough for me. (Chances are I wear my pants too damn low...) Is there a more experienced member who could recommend me a Brisbane based tailor/store for MTM shirts and a suit? I'm looking for roughly 3 shirts and a new suit (two pairs of pants.) Also, how much should I budget for this? I don't want anything super fancy (the idea is to fit in, not to stand out) I just want something conservative that fits my body. (also being a complete novice to these things, it would be nice if the person you recommend would be willing to tell me if I wear my pants too damn low/where I should wear them to not look like an idiot or an old man.) I hope someone can help!

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

Gents,

I'm hoping one of you can help me out with my dilemma.
    Recent Grad, first 'real'? Job. Got hired based off some previous experience in a similar industry, so it isn't a graduate position. Everyone I work with dresses reasonably professionally but I'm struggling. I've been lurking the forvm for easily 2 years, but my interests are in cars and accessories, not clothes.
    I'm at least 6ft (Never cared enough to check how tall) and reasonably skinny, so I've tried on countless shirts at menswear stores (probably bought $500-600 worth by now [​IMG] ) and none seem to be 'long'? enough for me. (Chances are I wear my pants too damn low...)

Is there a more experienced member who could recommend me a Brisbane based tailor/store for MTM shirts and a suit? I'm looking for roughly 3 shirts and a new suit (two pairs of pants.) Also, how much should I budget for this?
    I don't want anything super fancy (the idea is to fit in, not to stand out) I just want something conservative that fits my body. (also being a complete novice to these things, it would be nice if the person you recommend would be willing to tell me if I wear my pants too damn low/where I should wear them to not look like an idiot or an old man.)
    I hope someone can help!

It shouldn't really matter if you're only about six foot. If the arms fit, the body should be fitting too. The trouble you are having has probably got to do with how you are wearing your pants. Most trousers these days in Australia have a very low rise. Next time you go shopping for trousers, look for a rise of at least 9 if not 10 inches. The (front) rise is the measurement between the top of the waist band on the front, to the seam right under your manhood. I am about 6ft and sometimes have trouble with low rise pants, specifically from Mabitex and Incotex.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Gents,

I'm hoping one of you can help me out with my dilemma.
    Recent Grad, first 'real'? Job. Got hired based off some previous experience in a similar industry, so it isn't a graduate position. Everyone I work with dresses reasonably professionally but I'm struggling. I've been lurking the forvm for easily 2 years, but my interests are in cars and accessories, not clothes.
    I'm at least 6ft (Never cared enough to check how tall) and reasonably skinny, so I've tried on countless shirts at menswear stores (probably bought $500-600 worth by now [​IMG] ) and none seem to be 'long'? enough for me. (Chances are I wear my pants too damn low...)

Is there a more experienced member who could recommend me a Brisbane based tailor/store for MTM shirts and a suit? I'm looking for roughly 3 shirts and a new suit (two pairs of pants.) Also, how much should I budget for this?
    I don't want anything super fancy (the idea is to fit in, not to stand out) I just want something conservative that fits my body. (also being a complete novice to these things, it would be nice if the person you recommend would be willing to tell me if I wear my pants too damn low/where I should wear them to not look like an idiot or an old man.)
    I hope someone can help!

As jobro said, your height shouldn't be a problem unless you're underestimating it.

It's more likely that it's a combination of slim-fitting shirts and low-rise trousers.
    A lot of slim-fit shirts (particularly from the usual Australian suspects) are cut short because of the trend to wear such shirts untucked with jeans at times (even though the shirts might have french cuffs). I've got a shirt like that from Rhodes and Beckett and it irritates me quite a bit - if only it was a touch longer it would be really comfortable but as it is, I have to re-tuck it once or twice a day as it tends to start to pull out of the waistband of my trousers.

Anyway, without wanting to sound like a shill, you could get in touch with forum member "neyus", who runs a custom-clothing business called Deer Style in Brisbane. I have ordered a few shirts from him and they are excellent - fully customisable in terms of fit, including slimness, length and so on. What's more, they cost the same as/less than quite a few off-the-rack shirts available around the place.

Here's a post from further back in this thread about his operation. Neyus has a link to his blog in his signature which has some photos/details of his operation. Below his post there are a couple of other posts (including one by me) about Deer Style.

Neyus (not his real name, of course) is not only very friendly, courteous and helpful, he's also very knowledgeable about clothing and is happy to chat about shirts, clothes, and pretty much anything else.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I can attest to the friendliness of the DeeR Style crew, which is why I mentioned/recommended them a few posts back.

16. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Try DeeR Style in Brisbane too, from SF member neyus. Supplies suits, shirts, shoes and no doubt much more.

You wouldn't know what price shoes start from? I am starting to think that I will never get a perfect fit in shoes.

17. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Do you guys think Zegna stuff from DJ's is reasonably priced? There's a grey flannel double breasted suit I'm looking at which is on special at $845 down from $1395. I get an extra 20% off so it would come down to $676.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Z Zegna stuff so any input would be appreciated.

18. blahman

blahman Senior member

Do you guys think Zegna stuff from DJ's is reasonably priced? There's a grey flannel double breasted suit I'm looking at which is on special at $845 down from $1395. I get an extra 20% off so it would come down to $676.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Z Zegna stuff so any input would be appreciated.

If you're in melb listen to PG. Go down to Azzaro's down clarendon instead. If you're size 38R there are heaps of fully canvased suits for around that price. A few in most other sizes too.

Btw. I love you PG.

Edit: oh quick couple of Qs. Who makes Sarti D'Italia suits and with what cloths?And surely Sarti Tailors (I now realise they have nothing to do with eah other but one stocks the other) doesnt seriously retail them for almost $2000 as show on their sales flier do they?

19. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

Have you slim-fitting guys tried slim-fit (i.e. darted) Italian shirts such as Mastai Ferretti and Antichi Telai?

I haven't yet come across them in person - does anyone in Sydney currently sell them?

Where does one go in the CBD for a decent selection of hats (specifically the fedora)?

20. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Edit: oh quick couple of Qs. Who makes Sarti D'Italia suits and with what cloths?And surely Sarti Tailors (I now realise they have nothing to do with eah other but one stocks the other) doesnt seriously retail them for almost $2000 as show on their sales flier do they?
    Sarti D'Italia was a new line developed by Mabro and Antichi Telai. I believe they were an Antichi Telai suit (which is hand-made in Rome) but built on Mabro's production line in Florence. Although I'm now under the impression that the Mabro and Antichi Telai partnership has now dissolved. In any case, the Sarti D'Italia suits are very good. And yes Sarti Tailors in Collins st will sell them for you at about $1800 RRP (they used to sell Cantarelli suits at about $2000). Although prices at the Sarti warehouse on Latrobe st are more reasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.